Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Needs Neurological Baby - "Sahara" UPDATE vet visit!!!

Special Needs Neurological Baby - "Sahara" UPDATE vet visit!!!

I finally decided on a name for this baby girl! It shall be Sahara! I figured this would be good since she is a sand color!

This is the rescue that they suspected was blind or possibly had neurological problems. Well, she is definitely NOT blind .... but she does walk in circles a lot and sometimes takes a few steps backwards! She runs and plays with the others, and everything else seems normal. I truly think she has either neurological damage or inner-ear problems. I did clean quite a few earmites out of her ears tonight .... don't know if that has contributed to an inner ear infection or not.

I have a vet appointment for my Dexter to get a Depo shot tomorrow, so I will take Miss Sahara along with me. Hopefully they will have time to do a quick assessment of her condition! Wish us luck!

Here are a few pics, excuse her dirty face ... she's still a messy eater!

This is her guarding her food as her sister approached the food bowl!

Kim
    Last edited by kimlovescats; 08-30-2006 at 04:34 PM.

I thought it looked like she was protecting her food.. That is an adoreable, dirty little face she has and she looks fierce protecting her viddles. That little face is just sooooo cute to me.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Very, very cute, especially when she is protecting her food.

Many years ago, I rescued an abandoned cat (one eyed, jaw injury, starving to death) that turned out to have a very severe ear infection and he turned round and round in circles. I'd never seen that before or since, but then I'd never dealt with a cat in such poor condition before. The first vet I took him to shook his head and said he thought it was a brain tumor, nothing to be done. Fortunately, I didn't trust him.

Is she otherwise coordinated, Kim?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    Very, very cute, especially when she is protecting her food.

Many years ago, I rescued an abandoned cat (one eyed, jaw injury, starving to death) that turned out to have a very severe ear infection and he turned round and round in circles. I'd never seen that before or since, but then I'd never dealt with a cat in such poor condition before. The first vet I took him to shook his head and said he thought it was a brain tumor, nothing to be done. Fortunately, I didn't trust him.

Is she otherwise coordinated, Kim?
    YES, she will run around and chase the other kittens, then some times she seems a bit dazed ... she'll move her head from side to side, or turn in circles several times in a row! Some times she takes a step or two backwards and then spins. Poor girl makes ME dizzy just watching her! Like I said, I got lots of ear mites particularly out of her right ear ... maybe she just has a really bad ear infection that is making her off balance??? Hopefully tomorrow I can find out something!

Kim

Good luck at the vet. Please keep us posted. The kitten is adorable!!

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

Good luck today with little Sahara. What a beautiful baby.

What a sweet littel girl, she's wonderful. Hopefully her problems will be related to something that can be fixed. I love the pictures of her, please post more when you have time, she's gorgeous

She is such a lovley color. Good luck at the vet.

That dirty face is adorable.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Sahara is really a cutie and I also love the color of her fur. Hope the vet has a chance to peek into her ears today. Maybe it is an infection like Lizzie mentioned - hope so!

She is a beautiful girl! Oh my heart be still!
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

What a Super Sweet Happy Kitten you have there Kim, and we are going to have a wonderful time watching this Unique Wonderful Little Face grow up.
    Another Gold Star beside your name Kim, for giving Sahara such a Good Furr Ever Home.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Just back from vet with Sahara! As I suspected, she is NOT BLIND and she DOES have terrible earmites, which I felt was probably the cause of her erratic behaviour! The vet is not 100% that is all that is causing her to walk in circles, but from the looks on the culture slide, it certainly could be! We treated her with the one dose Ivermectin and so time will tell if her circle walking goes away!

She sure is a cutie pie and I love her name. I hope that the medicine will work. Good luck.

*bump* for update since vet visit today