Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Depression

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    Update:
    I saw the doctor this afternoon and now have a new prescription for an anti-anxiety drug that also works for depression and has a sedative to help me sleep (since I also can NOT get to sleep at night. I finally went to bed at 2AM last night)

I was prescribed Buspar. I'd never heard of it, and my doctor just smiled and said he knows nobody's ever heard of it. I can't take the first dose til tonight since I do't know how the sedative part will affect me. I'm actually looking forward to falling asleep BEFORE midnight.

If anyone knows anything about Buspar let me know. The doctor said its non-narcotic and very mild. Its just to take the edge off of all my stress and worry. I need it - my blood pressure was a million times higher today than it was just a few weeks ago when I saw him for a sinus infection. Anyway, he said its one of those drugs that you can take for any length of time, and when I feel my stressors are gone and I want to stop it, I just stop it. No weaning, no reducing amounts, etc.

On another note, I told the doctor that my left ear still feels funny (I had an ear infection and sinus infection last month) so he checked it out... and yes, I DO have an ear infection. But not the type I was expecting. I have SWIMMER'S EAR! Um... I haven't step foot in any body of water except my bath tub in the past year! Only I could end up with swimmer's ear from taking a shower!
    Kim. the doctor put my mom on Buspar after my dad died. Mom rarely, if ever took any meds except for her thyroid. If I recall, it made her a lot more relaxed and a bit sleepy. She took it in the morning. For someone very sensitive to anything, I don't recall any serious or troubling side effect. Turned out she wasn't suffering from nerves, but Myasthenia Gravis, whose symptoms he didn't catch, and COPD so those conditions made her exhausted. So it was hard to tell if Buspar added to it. Good luck, my friend. Sleep well.

I've been Boooo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen
    Sleep well.
    I had the strangest sleep last night! I fell asleep within an hour of taking it. I think I was actually asleep before my head hit the pillow. But its the feeling before that.... if I didn't know better, I'd swear I was high and drunk. Ooo... all the pretty colors. My tingly hands and feet. The world was swirling. Ahhh... ooooo... YUCK! I never understood why anyone would purposely seek out getting high or drunk. I hate the feeling.

Then, the problem I'm not so happy about is I woke up at 3:00 AM WIDE awake. I counted sheep, made up stories in my head, listed things, hunted down cats to pet (Flutter graciously accomodated my petting needs) and finally fell back asleep at 4:00. Then I was up again at 6:00. I had to get up each time to pee -- I never ever get up to pee once I'm asleep. Allen can sit on my full bladder and not wake me. Why on earth would I get up to pee now that I'm on this med? Coincidence?

I still feel drugged nearly 12 hours later. Maybe it'll get better as I get used to it? I'll see what happens tonight.

Or maybe a half dose?