Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression

There are so many types of depressive disorders, find a competent doctor who can properly diagnose you. Lucky me, I inherited the family genes for depressive disorders, so I've had years of experience, haha! will pm you the details.

I take 40mg of celexa everyday. It only took a week for me to start to feel better and as far as side effects go, the only two I have experienced are being hot all the time and some weight gain.

It works really well for me.

Depression sucks big time! I've been on all kinds of different meds until I finally found one that works for me. I'm on 37.5 mgs of Paxil. My doctor has put me on Wellbutrin on top of that, but I got suicidal thoughts and was taken off it immediately.

I've found that since I've moved back home with my friends and family, my depression isn't quite as bad, although I still need the Paxil. People who don't have depression, don't understand that it's not as simple as "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and getting over it". I only WISH it were that easy. As far as Tomkat is concerned, he's a walking chemical imbalance. I have lost all respect for him.

Hang in there Kim. I'd definitely make an appt with the doctor to see if he can put you on something to help get you through the "blue period". Don't forget, you've also got alot on your plate right now.

((((HUGS))))

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

With me it's not a matter of crying all the time. I just developed a quick temper that gets set off by the smallest of things. Somedays I will be fine. Today I got mad at a bowl because it didnt' want to come out of the cabinet like I wanted. I almost thru it. but it was glass so I tried my hardest to calm down. I have a hard time going to sleep because I have tons of random thoughts in my head. Then I don't wanna get out of bed, because I dred taking care of myself. ya know like how you dont want to get in the shower, but once you're in, you don't want to get out?

I keep thinking of how many times I have to eat, shower, brush teeth etc in the next 50+ years that I have left in my life. It's a part of life, but I just want to sleep. I dream of being happy sometimes, but I do have a lot of bad dreams.

And Runner is right there for me to cuddle. And she cuddles me right back. My daighter cuddles sometimes, but she's rather play.

I may be depressed, but I have a TON of love to give. But feel like I can't release it enough and with 2 animals and a child and a "husband" I still feel lonely. So I can relate to those who have TONS of pets.

Quote Originally Posted by buckner
    I had one doctor who insisted that my depression should eventually be battled with therapy *and* medication. But, for the time being, she prescribed Zoloft. The next doctor I saw (not but two weeks after, but same office) said I didn't even have depression because what I was going through wasn't "real" and I just needed to get over it. Well, I immediately divorced the pediatrician.

So, I transfered to my current doctor who I LOVE! He actually listened to me, listened to my problems, listened to what I had to say. It was awesome. And he trusted me taking antidepressants. So, he kept me on Zoloft, and is allowing me to bump myself up every 4-6 weeks in 25mg increments. He went through everything, but all in all, he trusts me to do what's right for me.

So I'm currently on 75mg of Zoloft, and in a few weeks, I'll be bumping up to 100mg. I'm actually doing a lot better on this medication, but bumping it up may make things better. But if it makes things worse, I'll just go back down to 75mg.

On this medication, I can actually wake up without wanting to cry. And go to bed at night, without tears in my eyes. I can talk about my problems without getting over emotional and shutting everyone out. I feel more comfortable in my skin, and I feel more confident. I feel more rational, and I feel more stable. I no longer feel that I'm walking on egg shells around *myself*.
    Are you my long lost twin?

Anyway, I've been on 75mg of Zoloft for about 1 1/2 yrs. I waited way too long to admit I was royally screwed up. Between being laid off, Cody dying the next day, dad dying, then home caring my mom, 2 surgeries and her death, I was beside myself. I called my doctor in hysterics and he rushed me right in. I love him. I can talk to him about anything and everything. I don't feel the same impact with the Zoloft as I did originally, but in addition with a short therapy session, I decided that I have no guilt, I will not be a doormat, I am strong and I will survive (thank you Gloria Gaynor! . It goes further than that, finances, my wrist etc, but I'm gonna be OK

I've been Boooo'd!

I am on "Serlain". It works perfect for me!

In the past, nearly 10 years ago, I had a bad depression too; I took Prozac then. But it was way to strong for me, it made me hypernervous. I was prescribed Lexotan too then to calm me down. I was happy when I was strong enought to stop Prozac...!

Good luck to you, I know what a hard time you are going through right now...
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I am sorry to hear you aren't feeling so good - you are doing the right thing in going to see your doctor

I've been taking Prozac for a number of years and have had no problem with it apart from during the first two weeks when I felt a bit "out of it".

Hope you start to feel better soon
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I'm glad you're getting this checked out. More than many meds, depression meds work very differently for different people. "Your mileage may vary" in the extreme.

Good luck!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    People who don't have depression, don't understand that it's not as simple as "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and getting over it". I only WISH it were that easy.
    That is so true. My sister and I are total opposites. She thinks you can just think positive and that will get you through things. She doesn't see the chemical imbalance side that will throw your positive thinking out the window in 2 seconds! But I don't totally blame her....she has never had one depressive or negative thought in her life and can't even imagine such things.

My mother has suffered from severe panic attacks and depression since the age of 13. They had her on every major pill known to man and nothing seemed to work. Then, at the age of 60 she was placed on Paxil and it worked for her. Currently, she was able to go off Paxil and for the first time in her life she has 'freedom'. I'm not sure if it's her age or what happened but my mother finally has a normal life. I really feel sorry for her since her whole life was taken from her because of the panic and depression. She didn't have a career, would rarely leave the house and basically lived a sheltered life not of her choosing. Now she has the freedom she never had...all bittersweet at the same time.

I would totally recommend seeing a doctor to prescribe not only pills but therapy sessions as well. The pills can only go so far since you also have to learn techniques to control various emotions and situations. You don't want to depend on a drug alone since that drug is only one part of the cure.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

I read on a depression group, having a boxing heavy bag helps. I need one. I'm looking into getting a freestanding one. For those rage moments.

I got mad at a bowl because it didnt want to come out of the cabinet because it was stuck to another bowl. I almost threw it.

I actually woke up early on my own this time. so maybe I will be adjusting to the early time again.

Being sleep deprived really does you in.

Thanks so much for all your personal experiences guys!

I luckily don't have rage moments like Ashleycat where I want to toss things, but I DO get irritated a lot easier than I should. Then later I think WHY did that matter to me so much? Like yesterday, Ashley was using my flat board scratching post as a support to cut things out with an Xacto knife. I "yelled" at her (no loud voice, just condeming) for doing it on top of the fabric.... ummmmmm... if I stopped to think about it, the fabric is already shredded thanks to the cats sharpening their claws on it

I just want to be able to think clearly without flying to one extreme or the other, focus on things, and have my memory back. I am so scattered and don't pay attention to anything. I'm having a real hard time focusing on the computer monitor right now! My vision is swimming.... but I think thats because another migraine is brewing. I KNOW the migraines are stemming from the stress and anxiety I'm feeling. I feel like the world is closing in on me.

I think its funny..... I work with a woman who wasan absolute pleasure to work with until she went off Paxil a year and half ago. Then she because scattered, forgetful, arguementaive... everything I'm noticing in myself right now. How ironic if thats what the doctor puts me on!

I was on effexsor for a couple of years, and in conjuction with counseling, really found that it helped alot. I had no side effects. For me, the medication didn't erase any of my 'problems', but, it did make me feel like I was able to battle them without breaking down. I think I benefitted from the counseling, and am totally for having a professional to talk things over with. For me, I didn't think it was a mood disorder, but, rather situational depression.

I also think that having a positive outlook, in conjunction with a great support system, and a certain amount of "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" CAN help. It doesn't solve anything, but, it is more productive than lying in bed all day long, even if that is what you feel like. There were times when I didn't want to leave the house, and my mom would say, "come on, we are going.....". And, I went. Did it make things great? Nope, but, they weren't worse, and, it did, for the moment, lessen the pain. In a way, I 'fought' the depression. On my own, and it failed. With help, things got better, over time.

Update:
    I saw the doctor this afternoon and now have a new prescription for an anti-anxiety drug that also works for depression and has a sedative to help me sleep (since I also can NOT get to sleep at night. I finally went to bed at 2AM last night)

I was prescribed Buspar. I'd never heard of it, and my doctor just smiled and said he knows nobody's ever heard of it. I can't take the first dose til tonight since I do't know how the sedative part will affect me. I'm actually looking forward to falling asleep BEFORE midnight.

If anyone knows anything about Buspar let me know. The doctor said its non-narcotic and very mild. Its just to take the edge off of all my stress and worry. I need it - my blood pressure was a million times higher today than it was just a few weeks ago when I saw him for a sinus infection. Anyway, he said its one of those drugs that you can take for any length of time, and when I feel my stressors are gone and I want to stop it, I just stop it. No weaning, no reducing amounts, etc.

On another note, I told the doctor that my left ear still feels funny (I had an ear infection and sinus infection last month) so he checked it out... and yes, I DO have an ear infection. But not the type I was expecting. I have SWIMMER'S EAR! Um... I haven't step foot in any body of water except my bath tub in the past year! Only I could end up with swimmer's ear from taking a shower!

Yes, you can get swimmers ear for a shower or just washing your hair, that is why you are suppose to dry out your ears afterwards... Any water in the ear......

An old friend of mine had been reall ill off and on for several years. While in the hospital, the doctors put her on Buspar but she flat out refused to take it. She insisted she was not depressed when she was extreemly depressed and she NEVER slept, night or day which annoyed the staff terriably... Now I know why the doctor choose Buspar for her. She was terrified of sleeping and still is.....

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge