Thread: The Shelters Lament(WARNING Graphic!!!)

The Shelters Lament(WARNING Graphic!!!)

This is very graphic, I couldn't even read all of it. I received it in an email listing

All animal lovers should read this.
    This was posted in the "Best of Craiglist". It was not written by me.
    YOU SHOULD ALL READ IT. Everyone who wants a pet should know exactly what happens if they decide they can't keep their pet anymore. Not all shelters are exactly the same, but this was written by a shelter manager, and I appreciated the post:

THE SHELTER MANAGER’S LAMENT

“I am posting this (and it is long) because I think our society needs a huge “Wake-up” call.

As a shelter manager, I am going to share a little insight with you all...a view from the inside if you will.

Breeders Need Not Apply

First off, this is a forum to for adoption and/or rehoming as clearly stated in the rules. All of you breeders/sellers on craigslist should not only be flagged (and I hope the good people on craigslist will continue to do so with blind fury), but you should be made to work in the “back” of an animal shelter for just one day. Maybe if you saw the life drain from a few sad, lost, confused eyes, you would change your mind about breeding and selling to people you don’t even know…that puppy you just sold will most likely end up in my shelter when it’s not a cute little puppy anymore.

So how would you feel if you knew that there’s about a 90% chance that dog will never walk out of the shelter it is going to be dumped at? Purebred or not! About 50% of all of the dogs that are “owner surrenders” or “strays”, that come into my shelter are purebred dogs.

No Shortage of Excuses

The most common excuses I hear are:

“We are moving and we can’t take our dog (or cat).”

Really? Where are you moving to that doesn’t allow pets?

“The dog got bigger than we thought it would.”

How big did you think a German Shepherd would get?

“We don’t have time for her….”

Really? I work a 10-12 hour day and still have time for my 6 dogs!

“She’s tearing up our yard….” How about making her a part of your family?

They always tell me:

“We just don’t want to have to stress about finding a place for her…we know she’ll get adopted, she’s a good dog.”

Odds are your pet won’t get adopted and how stressful do you think being in a shelter is?

Well, let me tell you.

Dead Pet Walking

Your pet has 72 hours to find a new family from the moment you drop it off…sometimes a little longer if the shelter isn’t full and your dog manages to stay completely healthy.

If it sniffles, it dies.

Your pet will be confined to a small run/kennel in a room with about 25 other barking or crying animals. It will have to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps. It will be depressed and it will cry constantly for the family that abandoned it.

If your pet is lucky, I will have enough volunteers in that day to take him/her for a walk. If I don’t, your pet won’t get any attention besides having a bowl of food slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of its pen with a high-powered hose.

If your dog is big, black or any of the “Bully” breeds (pit bull, rottie, mastiff, etc…) it was pretty much dead when you walked it through the front door. Those dogs just don’t get adopted.

If your dog doesn’t get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed.

If the shelter isn’t full and your dog is good enough, and of a desirable enough breed…it may get a stay of execution…not for long though. Most get very kennel protective after about a week and are destroyed for showing aggression…even the sweetest dogs will turn in this environment.

If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles…chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection and will be destroyed because shelters just don’t have the funds to pay for even a $100 treatment.

The Grim Reaper

Here’s a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal being “put-down.”

First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash…they always look like they think they are going for a walk…happy, wagging their tails. Until they get to “The Room.”

Every one of them freaks out and puts on the breaks when we get to the door…it must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it’s strange, but it happens with every one of them. Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 vet techs depending on the size and how freaked out they are. Then a euthanasia tech or a vet will start the process…they will find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal dose of the “pink stuff.” Hopefully your pet doesn’t panic from being restrained and jerk… I’ve seen the needles tear out of a leg and been covered with the resulting blood and deafened by the yelps and screams.

They all don’t just “go to sleep.” Sometimes they spasm for a while, gasp for air and defecate on themselves.

When it all ends, your pets corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back with all of the other animals that were killed…waiting to be picked up like garbage.

What happens next? Cremated? Taken to the dump? Rendered into pet food? You’ll never know and it probably won’t even cross your mind…it was just an animal and you can always buy another one right?

Liberty, Freedom and Justice for All

I hope that those of you that have read this are bawling your eyes out and can’t get the pictures out of your head…I do everyday on the way home from work. I hate my job, I hate that it exists and I hate that it will always be there unless you people make some changes and realize that the lives you are affecting go much farther than the pets you dump at a shelter.

Between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters and only you can stop it. I do my best to save every life I can but rescues are always full, and there are more animals coming in everyday than there are homes.

My point to all of this…DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!

Hate me or flag me if you want to…the truth hurts and reality is what it is….

I just hope I maybe changed one person’s mind about breeding their dog, taking their loving pet to a shelter, or buying a dog. I hope that someone will walk into my shelter and say “I saw this thing on craigslist and it made me want adopt."

That would make it all worth it.

there are no words. *cry*

Please, anyone. Consider fostering.

This is exactly why every single one of my pets is a rescue...this seems to be primarily about dogs but I know that cats get the same exact treatment. My dads very loving doberman, Max, was hours from being destroyed when my dad thankfully walked into the shelter (he drove for hours to get to this shelter too) and saved him, even though he was labeled as "agressive" He wasn't, he was just a scared puppy who wouldn't have had a home if it weren't for some very awesome shelter voulenteers. My dog, Shiloh, was on the chopping block because he was a GSD found running wild with his littermates. Remus was a kitten when I adopted him, and kittens usually get special concideration, but his littermate had health issues and Im sure he was destroyed almost imediately after I adopted Remus.

Shelters are necciary evils, and will be until people stop breeding unecicerily (sp?) The reality is sad, but its something that can be combated with education and awareness.

I can vouch that what is written is 100% correct, having helped out at a kill shlelter. I have carefully avoided telling anyone details of what I saw happening there. My first day there I noticed a Mama cat laying in the cage with her kittens, deathly still. I went over to see her and her poor babies were around her, touching her looking at me like "What happened to our Mommie?". The manager told me the kittens were next..........

All those that are no longer in this world, haunt me to this day that I couldn't save them. I have to keep them out of my mind or I still cry for them and I cry for them now writting this and remembering them.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Thats so very tue, and I wish that people would grow up, and stop ossessing over thier toys and take responsibility for the Pets that they adopt.
    These are Creatures Of God, not disposable garbage.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I read it all...copied and pasted it into an email, and sent it to two Humane societies I know...our local one is low-kill. I suggested they might want to put it in their newsletter.

The other was to a well-read community paper.

And to a friend who loves kittens, AND cats. But I hope she will pass it on.

She felt money had been wasted spaying two outdoor cats as they eventually died - one two years later, one four months later. How many unwanted kittens were prevented?

HUGS Doo
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I have a question. When I talked to the Illinois shelter manager earlier this week and we discussed how it is part of her job to both trap "nuisance" cats and euthanize them, she said that she gives a sedative first. This is what happens when we have our pets euthanized, and makes the procedure more endurable for the pet, the vet and ourselves. Do most shelters, or only some shelters, go straight to the final injection? I assume this is to save money?

I've wished for a few decades now that I could come into a large enough sum of money that I could put together a travelling spay & neuter station, all operations free, and a money reward for those who neuter their pet. I think that only by making the process not only free and without any hassle, but also rewarded, will you get the majority of people to spay and neuter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    I have a question. Do most shelters, or only some shelters, go straight to the final injection? I assume this is to save money?
    DON'T ask..................as SOME shelters don't even use lethal injection, but rather GAS chambers. There is no federal regulation that shelter animals need to be killed humanely.

http://www.api4animals.org/articles?p=352&more=1

If you really want a good cry, read " How Could You?" Put that into your search engine and it should come up! Too bad Catty1's friend did not keep her cats INDOORS, then she would not have " Wasted" her money. THe breeders should go to shelters and see how many " purebreds" are there!!
    It is a terrible and sad society that not only has no time for their pets, but their children either.
    Nine is Fine!!

" How Could You?" is by Jim Willis and I just put How Could you? into google and it came right up.
    Nine is Fine!!

This is just so sad and will unfortunately keep happening. I've enjoyed going to cat shows and seeing the different breeds but I'd never buy a cat from a breeder. All of my cats have come from either the Humane Society, rescue groups, or have been rescued from some one.

How could you?

I had read this before, but I sat (crying) and read it again......because it is important to continue to feel their pain, so we keep the burning desire to help.

I've read this or something very much like it before. It breaks my heart every time!!!!