Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emerson David

Emerson David

My companion Emerson was killed a week ago today. Before I explained how he died, let me tell you how he lived.

Emerson was only four years old and was a very special dog! He was a mix (All American) of Chow and Golden Retriever (and best of everything else). I got Emerson from a shelter at the age of 8 weeks. From the time he was a puppy, anyone who met him would stated how he was such a happy dog. Even at the age of Four everyone would say what a great puppy, how old is he and when I would say 4 they would say months, polite fully I would correct them it was years, not months. He loved to jump (leap, bound, through he was a cat & deer all in one), run, very smart, watch TV, bark at the TV, play with other dogs, polite fully greet my friends when they came over and play with anyone or anything. Because of all of his fur, he had a deep admiration and love for mud. On the side of lake, creek, river, sidewalk, and the more the mud stunk or was black, the more he liked it! I am a firm believer that a dog should be a dog, although this was one of my least favorite of his habits, but watching how much fun he had rolling around in the mud...made the clean up worth it! And surprisingly with all the fur he had, it was amazing how quickly he would clean up! He was such an awesome dog and touched everyone he ever met. We did everything together; traveled, camped, hiked, kayaked, played, picnics, volunteered through Delta Society, holidays, evenings home and even went to work together when the schedule allowed. I never worried about him being with children, other dogs or any setting. Although he was not fond of most cats, from the time he was little, he watched cats walk free outside, and never understood why they walked so slow in front of his window and taunted him relentlessly. This love/hate for cats was probably his demise.

On August 11, 2006, I let him outside in the back yard after our morning routine of snuggling. This week I had painters on property and they had left the gate open, so sometime in his normal ˝ hour of running around outside he discovered the gate left open. I am sure being provoked by a cat, he was excited about the final potential to catch/play with this cat that has taunted him from afar. As a result he darted out in the road and was hit by a car. When I found him, directly across the street from my house, he was probably dead. Although whenever greeted with a shock like this, it is hard to believe, my neighbor was outside at the time and is such an animal lover rushed Emerson and I to the emergency clinic. I really don’t know how I would have survived that morning without her! After rushing to the animal emergency clinic (luckily less then 5 minutes away) and realizing I was covered in his blood they came out immediately and told me he was dead. It was the worst thing I have ever gone through…the 20 minutes seems constantly replay and with out my neighbor I would not have been able to make it.

"Cataholic" is my neighbor and she asked me to take the time to post something on this website. I am so thankful for her support, as well as the support of my family, friends and the friends from my pet community. Everyone realized how much Emerson was a part of my life and has been so thoughtful and caring. I know it is going to take time to get through this loss and with people to support me like Cataholic, I know it will be possible!

Emerson David was my first dog and that makes so much harder to loose my best friend, companion and son all in one. He definitely left paw prints on my heart and everyone who met him!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh so sorry to hear about your pupster ..... off to RB

Well, such a sad, sad, story. I hope and suspect he died having fun, chasing a kitty etc. The photo of you together is a precious one for sure.

So many of us have lost pets, all different ways and reasons and it never feels good. I trust you will find another pup to love and cherish and spend time with you. There are just so many out there in need of a good, solid home.

((((((((((((((((Clarity))))))))))))))))))))

Welcome to Pet Talk - even though your circumstances are not the best.

((((((((((((((((Emerson))))))))))))))))))

Ah, Clarity, now I am crying all over again at work. Emerson might have been the coolest dog I ever had the pleasure of loving on. He was always right there by the fence, to give a lick, as I leaned over. I remember when I would sneak Emerson under the fence, to play with Binx, and return him to your yard all slobbery and stinky. Emerson had such a way of just looking at you, you just knew he was a people doggie, and needed lots of contact.

I did what any other pet lover and compassionate person would do. I saw the need, and filled it. I will remain forever saddened that it wasn't the outcome we prayed for.

Johanna

Your Beautiful Story about Your Dog, Emerson, along with that photo was so very touching.

Saying I am so sorry is just not enough.

You allowed me to KNOW this dog, on a Memorial Thread!!!

Many of us on Pet Talk have lost our beloved companions, and we fully understand your grief. We have to learn something, from this bittersweet relationship . With each passing day, you will know what Emerson gave to you, and, is still giving to you.

He will never be taken away, not even by Death!! He is locked into your heart and soul, forever.

My Deepest Sympathy To You.

Unhappy You have our sympathy

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity

Emerson ... let me tell you how he lived.

He definitely left paw prints on my heart and everyone who met him!

WELCOME to Pet Talk, Clarity!

My sincere condolences on loosing Dear Emerson.
    May he Rest In Peace.
    Take some comfort in remembering all those Fabulous Days and Nights
    you were able to share with him.

Emerson will be busy at The Bridge with all his new Bridge Buddies -
    spinning tails of all the Fun Times he and Mom shared ...

Be a bit patient, but check at every opportunity ... Emmerson is surely
    looking for just the right Pup to send your way.

Here's a {{{Hug}}} - come back when you need another one.

/s/ Phred

Rest in Peace Dear Sweet Emerson
    I'm so sorry to hear this. We know that that handsome boy is playing hard at the bridge right now with his pals, doggies and kitties alike.

(((((HUGS)))))

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Emerson was a very handsome boy, and the picture of the two of you together is one you can cherish forever. I was particularly touched when you said that he was your first dog. They do leave special pawprints as they teach us humans what it means to live with a creature as perfect as a dog. Many hugs to you. The pain will eventually be more bareable. And I also think that Emerson will eventually send you someone else in need of the special love you can give.

I am so sorry for your loss. It is hard enough to part from our dear
    furry friends when they age, but would be twice as hard to lose them through
    an accident before their time. Rest in Peace Emerson. You were a very
    beautiful pup.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh, Emerson was so handsome! I am so sorry for your tragic loss of such a wonderful furbaby. I'm glad Johanna was there to help you. Emerson will be waiting and watching over you from Rainbow Bridge. Hugs.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Emerson's caught on tape for eternity

Thank you everyone for your words...it really helps to have so many people that understand the gift our companion pets give us on a daily basis. I am really having a hard time...if anyone has words of wisdom for getting through such a tramadic loss...I would love to hear them! Please watch the tape if you want to truely see my precious Emerson...in his wild, hoppy wisdom with his cousin Tonka and Aunt Barb...oh and my silly dog voice! Again..it really helps to hear from you...please keep writing your thoughts, poems, etc......It all makes a difference!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Clarity; 08-18-2006 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Clarity on what the clip is and who the other dog is!

There's nothing like new puppy breath....to heal the soul

I know its early, but geeze, puppies have such healing power.

Chin up. You didn't do anything wrong. Fate has a way of punishing us sometimes.

Chin up. RIP Emerson. Play hard with your new buddies.

I'm so sorry you lost your friend. I hope that carless painter will not do that again in the future. (I too lost a dog that way.) Welcome to the boards!! Come here and talk about Emerson, anytime.
    zoey
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Emerson. I'm sure he meant the world to you. Having lost my precious Mandy just a few months ago at 5 years old I know it is so hard to lose a pup so young. Only time will help to ease the pain, a little at a time. Your heart may ache for him forever,but your memories of him will help to comfort you.
    I hope you continue to visit with us at Pet Talk, there are so many wonderful people here, just like your neighbor.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Arrow

Clarity ~

Look at the PetLoss.com web site - it's quite helpfull.

http://petloss.com/

/s/ Phred

Well, I actually had a decent weekend. Woke up on Saturday morning with a plan, I wanted to not only have ceremony to give Emerson to God, bless his ashes and also help with beginning to accept he is gone. There are three places I want to scatter his ashes; backyard, Red Bird Hollow favorite place to walk (dog's run free, woods, paths, hills, stream; similuar place on earth as rainbow bridge), and a church camp where we spent time since he was a puppy. I am going to hold the ceremony at the last, as I has already scheduled a camping trip for several of my friends and Emerson was typically our mascot. I have picked the bible verses, songs, prayers and poem..

For those who can not attend this ceremony, I am going to have a celebration of his life picnic. People can bring their dogs, come to say hi or stay for the day. I am hoping to have it on a Sunday afternoon in October, which would be my four year anniversary of getting him. And I am going to make a scrapbook with memories, pictures, poems, sympathy cards, famous quotes, emails recieved to express sympathy and in the back will be room for others to write their favorite memory of Emerson.

Finally I have some good news, I cannot imagine my life without a dog in it! I have made arrangements to adopt a puppy at the beginning of September. His name is going to be Whitman and he is a Wheaton Terrier, Chow, Retriever mix. I am excited to have a new puppy to get to know, and tell him stories of his big brother.
    Attached Images Attached Images