Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ***Cosmo Has Kidney Disease ***

***Cosmo Has Kidney Disease ***

Cosmo has kidney disease. They did multiple tests on him & the 2 tests for kidney disease were off the chart. He is now on dialysis. They showed me how to administer it. I gave him 350 cc's at the vets. I have to drop him off tomorrow at 8am. I will leave him there & they will administer the dialysis and keep an eye on him & see how he is doing. Then they'll administer it again Wednesday night & I will pick him up. Then I have to do the same thing on Thursday & possibly on Friday.

I bought him some K/D kibble & canned food. When we got home from the vets he ate some food. I was so happy. But right now he is laying under the bed. Not sure if it's because it's hot out. I don't have the a/c on because I thought it might make him cold.

I feel awful. I feel like it's my fault. When I took my pets for their annual check-up last month, the vet suggested I put Cosmo on K/D but I just poo-poo'd it. Then the vet said that I may have stressed Cosmo out by being gone for 1.5 weeks. So I feel really guilty.

I will take each day at a time. If dialysis doesn't work, I will put him to sleep. The thing that kills me is that other than not eating, he really seems to be okay.

Cats can have kidney transplants but they cost about $10,000. Angel Memorial in Boston could perform it. I think about all those wealthy people in the world that have so much money they don't know what to do with it so they buy house after house & SUV after SUV. I would give anything to have $10,000 in my pocket to give Cosmo a new kidney.

I feel I let Cosmo down. I promised him so many things in life (like a house with a fenced in yard so he could run & enjoy the grass). But I was never able to give him that.

I'm so sorry Cosmo.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Hey! It's not over yet.

Lots of people here have kidney kitties that do just fine on dialysis(Sub-Q fluids).

Sure, maybe you could have started him earlier on the food, but you didn't. No big deal. He ate a bit now, and that is a sign of hope.

Let the vets get him rehydrated and take it from there.

HUGS
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Get well soon, Cosmo !

((( HUGS )))
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Don't worry too much, the results often look dreadful at first but can be brought down to reasonable levels with sufficient sub-q therapy. I had three cats with kidney disease that were brought back to decent levels, and they were so sick initially that they had to be force fed for a week or two. They all lived for 2+ years after the initial diagnosis and all had other health issues.

Good luck with Cosmo.

Kidney disease is very common in cats and when it is first diagnosed, I know how much worry and torment is administered to you. But do not worry, because it is easily managed, through the diet and just general routine, do not give up on him yet! Along with his diet, make sure he has plenty of water available at all times, as he's likely to drink more which helps flush out his kidneys. Cats can live with kidney disease for many years, my RB cat Brando lived with it for 8 years, living a perfectly happy life until his last month. ((hugs)) to you and Cosmo and I hope everything works out for the best.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Kidney disease in cats is not a death sentence. Barbara's Filou has been on fluids for at least a year now, if not longer. Jazzcat's Ripley was very close to death at one point, and fluids and loving care brought him back and he's doing quite well these days. Fluids and potassium supplements made a HUGE difference in Tubby. Unfortunately it was the failing of the rest of Tubby's body that finally did him in, not his kidneys. Catsnclay's Fluffy is currently being administered fluids on a regular basis.

I'm sure there are many more here on PT that have either experienced this in the past or are experiencing it right now, so hang in there. There's a very good chance Cosmo will still be around for many years to come.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

O please do not beat up yourself!!! Older cats do get kidney disease, and it doesn't matter that you were gone or you could not give Cosmo a fenced in yard!!! What matters is the love and care that you have given Cosmo and that you will continue to give him!!! I gave Miss BooBoo Kitty sub q fluids for just over 4 years and the vet said that is what helped her the most!!! Boo did not care for the k/d or the other renal diet, but she did eat them. Love is what Cosmo needs and you will give him plenty of that !!! Take Care...
    Nine is Fine!!

Cosmo is doing somewhat better now. He wouldn't eat the K/D canned food so I opened up a can of tuna and he ate some of that TWICE last night. And he ate some again this morning plus he ate some of the K/D kibble. He is at the vets again today (he was there yesterday) getting his fluid therapy. I will talk to the vet tonight & start doing the fluid therapy myself. They said they may give him some Purina Kidney food today. If he likes it, I will buy him some.

Question for the folks whose cats had kidney disease....how many times per week did you do fluid therapy when your cat was first diagnosed?

I found some excellent websites on the web which I've been referring to allot. Both Maxie & Fenway know something is not right and they keep smelling Cosmo & checking him out. But they're both excited that I've resorted to feeding Cosmo tuna because that means they get some too!

Ripley was diagnosed with kidney failure back in April. The vet said his values were what she would call mild to moderate failure. At that time he was very ill, wasn't eating much and had lost a lot of weight. The vet gave him one round of fluids and within days he improved greatly. Within a few weeks he was even begging for food and that continues on to this day. He may have even gained back a few ounces. He hasn't required any more fluids yet and the vet and I are thrilled with how well he has responded.

I know I'm not much help since Rip has only required sub-q fluids once. The vet has just told me to watch him closely because when the time comes for more Ripley will tell me.

From Decker with Love

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat
    Ripley was diagnosed with kidney failure back in April. The vet said his values were what she would call mild to moderate failure. At that time he was very ill, wasn't eating much and had lost a lot of weight. The vet gave him one round of fluids and within days he improved greatly. Within a few weeks he was even begging for food and that continues on to this day. He may have even gained back a few ounces. He hasn't required any more fluids yet and the vet and I are thrilled with how well he has responded.

I know I'm not much help since Rip has only required sub-q fluids once. The vet has just told me to watch him closely because when the time comes for more Ripley will tell me.
    Actually, you were a lot of help. It's nice to read about other people's experiences. I appreciate it. I think Cosmo is beyond mild to moderate but I haven't given up on him yet. I used to get irritated when he begged for food. Now I can't wait until he does.

Thanks so much for replying with your experiences. And give a peck on Ripley's hairy cheek for me!

This is Cosmo by the way. Isn't he a cutie pie?

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    Question for the folks whose cats had kidney disease....how many times per week did you do fluid therapy when your cat was first diagnosed?
    With Ted (a big boy) it was 200cc twice a day for a few days, then 150cc twice a day for another week, then 200cc once a day for about a month. His values were almost off the charts but the therapy helped enormously. He also had bladder stones for which he had surgery, kidney stones and calcification of the ureters, and one kidney simply became so tiny it was non-functional. So, he had a lot of strikes against him but he still lived for two and half years after the initial diagnosis, and they were very good years until the last week of his life.

Simka started out with 150cc every day, plus force feeding because she stopped eating completely. Within a few weeks her values were so close to normal that I gave them every three to four days depending on how well she appeared to be and how dehydrated. She also had cancer of the liver. Towards the end of her life, the renal failure really kicked in and she received 50cc of fluids twice a day. She was so tiny then that it was better for her to get small amounts frequently. She lived nearly 3 years past her diagnosis.

So, it's case by case and even then fluctuates with how well the cat is doing.

Edited to add that Cosmo is a gorgeous hunk!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    With Ted (a big boy) it was 200cc twice a day for a few days, then 150cc twice a day for another week, then 200cc once a day for about a month. His values were almost off the charts but the therapy helped enormously. He also had bladder stones for which he had surgery, kidney stones and calcification of the ureters, and one kidney simply became so tiny it was non-functional. So, he had a lot of strikes against him but he still lived for two and half years after the initial diagnosis, and they were very good years until the last week of his life.

Simka started out with 150cc every day, plus force feeding because she stopped eating completely. Within a few weeks her values were so close to normal that I gave them every three to four days depending on how well she appeared to be and how dehydrated. She also had cancer of the liver. Towards the end of her life, the renal failure really kicked in and she received 50cc of fluids twice a day. She was so tiny then that it was better for her to get small amounts frequently. She lived nearly 3 years past her diagnosis.

So, it's case by case and even then fluctuates with how well the cat is doing.

Edited to add that Cosmo is a gorgeous hunk!
    Wow! You are very dedicated to your kitties and must love them very much to give them all that care & attention. There's a spot in heaven just for you! What did you do when you went on vacation? Did you get a pet sitter to administer the fluids?

When we first put Tubby on fluids....it's been awhile, but I think it was 200 cc's a day. After about a week of that, the vet cut it down to 100 cc's every other day. Seems they need more at first, then taper off some like Jazzcat's Ripley. I found the hardest part about giving the fluids is keeping the cat still, especially once they start to feel better. At first I could "do" Tubby all by myself, no problem. Once he started feeling better he did NOT want to sit still. Once he jumped down right in the middle of it. The needle came out and fluids went flying all over the kitchen and I didn't know what to grab first, Tubby or the spewing needle! After that I had Terry hold Tubby while I inserted the needle and held it in.

You will have to find a place to do it also. I found the kitchen table worked best - yes, the kitchen table. I laid a towel down and put Tubby on the towel. I hung the fluids from the chandelier above the table. That way they were high enough, but not too high.

Anyway, don't hesitate to ask questions once you start doing it yourself. There are plenty here who have gone through it.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    When we first put Tubby on fluids....it's been awhile, but I think it was 200 cc's a day. After about a week of that, the vet cut it down to 100 cc's every other day. Seems they need more at first, then taper off some like Jazzcat's Ripley. I found the hardest part about giving the fluids is keeping the cat still, especially once they start to feel better. At first I could "do" Tubby all by myself, no problem. Once he started feeling better he did NOT want to sit still. Once he jumped down right in the middle of it. The needle came out and fluids went flying all over the kitchen and I didn't know what to grab first, Tubby or the spewing needle! After that I had Terry hold Tubby while I inserted the needle and held it in.

You will have to find a place to do it also. I found the kitchen table worked best - yes, the kitchen table. I laid a towel down and put Tubby on the towel. I hung the fluids from the chandelier above the table. That way they were high enough, but not too high.

Anyway, don't hesitate to ask questions once you start doing it yourself. There are plenty here who have gone through it.
    Thanks. Nice to know that they become wiggle worms again once they start to feel better. I'll be doing the fluid therapy by myself. I live alone and am currently single so it'll just be me. It will be very very interesting. So far I figure I will be doing it on the bedroom floor next to the closet. I can hang the fluid from the closet door hook and then give it to him on the floor. Plus, I can shut the bedroom door so that Maxie & Fenway don't wonder in and start sniffing around. Plus I don't want to poke them if the needle should come out.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    Wow! You are very dedicated to your kitties and must love them very much to give them all that care & attention. There's a spot in heaven just for you! What did you do when you went on vacation? Did you get a pet sitter to administer the fluids?
    That made me laugh, a little wryly I must admit. The only place I vacation is at home so there is never a problem with keeping up with therapies.

I had a very hard time with Simka at first and ended up taking her to the vet every evening so I could use their table and their "atmosphere" to quiet her down to the point where I could give her fluids. They know me well so let me do this free of charge. She bucked, reared, rolled, thrashed, and the needle came out lots of times. Eventually, she got used to it and I was able to do them at home and then the other two needed treatment and I was experienced enough to control them.

Like you plan to do, I used the bedroom with the door closed and hung the bag by the closet, but I put in a nail so I could hang the bag higher. You want to be able to see the marks on the bag so don't want it too high, but you want it high enough for the fluids to run in as fast as possible. Since it's only going under the skin, it doesn't matter how fast the fluids run in. Some techs will squeeze the bag to make it go fast but I found that impossible alone since I was holding the cat with one hand and adjusting the needle or valve with the other.

If the fluids don't run well, it's often because the slanted open part of the needle is sitting against fat or skin so you have to turn the needle slightly. To hold the cat, and everyone does it differently, I knelt on the floor with the cat between my knees, and my ankles locked so they can't back out. I scruff and lift the skin high between the shoulder blades so it's in a U shape and slide the needle into the middle of the U. This is the trickiest part because it's the time when you are using both hands and the time when the cat is most likely to react. If Cosmo reacts extremely badly to the needle, you may have to use a narrower gauge - I did with my Artful Dodger. The problem with that is the fluids run a lot more slowly.

If I did get a sudden loss of control of the cat during the time I was giving fluids and the needle came out, I put on a new needle and started again if it was 50cc or less and gave up for the day if it was more. The reason for that is that it's hard to put a needle into a bulge of fluids.

I'm sure you will get lots more advice, and I'm sure I will learn more from others who have gone through this also - because I know it will come up for me again, and any advice is useful.