Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severe thunderstorm anxiety, help!

Severe thunderstorm anxiety, help!

My sister has a golden retriever, Skylee that she adopted a little over a year ago. She's 8 years old now. I guess she had some thunderstorm anxiety then (as well as with fireworks...I did see her go nuts trying to dig under our deck because of fireworks last year) but it has gotten worse. Apparently she has destroyed 2 crates, ripped up carpet and a door, and has had some bad bouts of diarrhea, vomitting, and urinating all over their house because of the fear. They don't have the funds to replace any of the ruined items either.

I just heard about all of this today, I knew she was afraid but I didn't know it was this bad (and I'm not completely sure it is not an exaggeration either). She asked me if they could get her declawed which I told them was crazy. I don't know if those nail caps would really stop her from digging. I advised them to get a sedative from the vet and she said they already tried the highest dosage and it didn't do anything. I told them about the anxiety wrap and she can't afford it and says she has already tried putting a tight t-shirt on her and it didn't help. So now they believe their only option is putting her to sleep! My dad pretty much told them they should do that too!

I said they could possibly try a pet psychic, or I've seen some heavy duty metal crates that maybe she couldn't destroy but they say she hurts herself trying to get out too. I don't know what to do now...with my sisters history with animals I would not at all be surprised if they do put her to sleep...she is really the sweetest dog in the world too. Any more suggestions of things to try?

A five dollar stretchy bandage will do the same thing as an anxiety wrap.

Try a different sedative. There are lots of options, not just one. I'd take her to a different vet if the first one isn't willing to try more options. A behavorist might help too or a Tellington Touch trainer. TTouch can do some pretty amazing stuff. You might even be able to find the right moves on the 'net without having to bring in a practioner.

Rescue Remedy might help, if they give it to her in advance of a storm.

Does their house have a basement or area where she might hear the noise less? Crank up the stereo. Pingo has a thunderstorm phobia. Sometimes extra noise helps distract her.

Good Luck. I hope they find something that helps Skylee.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Thanks for the advice. This is not my dog, it is my sisters dog. Getting them to try anything else when they have already given up isn't going to be easy but I'll tell them to try some of the things you mentioned. Actually I already did tell them to try a different sedative but she said their vet said it was the strongest they made so she assumed if the strongest didn't work then none would. Sometimes it takes a few times before something works (which seems to be the case with an anxiety wrap) but they give up on pets very easily. They've gone through so many dogs, birds, fish, a guinea pig, etc in the past few years I've lost count (Sydney was one of them). No they do not have a basement, I'll tell her to try the music though they have 3 small children and I doubt she'd be willing to play loud music at night because of that.

If anyone cares......my sister no longer has Skylee. She took her back to the rescue the day after I posted this. I'm glad she didn't put her to sleep at least, now she has a chance. I hope she finds a good home who is willing to work with her, she's such a sweetheart.

Awww, poor Skylee! I hope she finds a good forever home.

I'm praying for Skylee. I wish she could get relocated to a place where it doesn't rain often. Poor girl. This is heartbreaking. Euthanasia is too extreme, a measure. I hope she gets adopted to a forever home soon.
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

I'm sorry to hear this Amy. I know how upsetting it is for you because I know how you feel about things like this. I hope and pray sweet Skylee finds a wonderful home who can help her with her phobia.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q

If anyone cares......

my sister no longer has Skylee.
    She took her back to the rescue the day after I posted this.
    AMY!!

"If anyone cares ..." ~
    That's not a very up-beat way to open a post ... A LOT of us "care"!

8 Years old is a tough age to be tossed into a shelter and told to Find a New Home.

Over the years, most of my Dawgs have been "strays" - with no know previous homes.
    They all seem to "develop" a fear of Thunder Storms ...
    I've asked each of them: Just WHAT didi you do (before you got here)
    when it *THUNDERED* and you were OutSide??
    Where did you *hide* and who gave you comfort back then?"

Never seem to get an answer to that question!

I try not to make the situation worse ... *I* "try" to stay calm & relaxed;
    and mostly ignore the FurKids other than a friendly *pat* if they wander by,
    They seem to develop their own method of coping ...
    * Cinder & Smoke alternate between hiding under the BigBed and the Puter Desk
    * Bowser wakes up with a look of *PANIC*, turns around, and goes back to sleep
    *da Kat ALWAYS gets up, dashes to the opposite end of the house;
    then curls up and goes back to sleep - with his eyes *popping open* with
    each major clap of thunder.
    * Then if *I* go inna baffroom ...
    ALL FOUR make a mad dash to barge in and "help" me!

Wishing GOOD Luck to Skylee!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Poor skylee, I hope the shelter lets the next perspective owner know about
    her fear. and she finds a good loving home.

I have owned 2 dogs that had a sever problem when
    it came to thunder storms and fire-crackers. Another
    one which was a family dog when I was young.

Fireworks I always make a point to stay home.
    Thunder storms is more of a problem and I try
    to leave the dogs in the house.
    A few years ago, an unexpected thunder storm came in the afternoon while I was at work.
    Poor Sheba clawed and chewed through our new back door.
    Luckily we do not have a lot of thunder storms.

----<---<--<{(@

Amy, I'm so sorry about Skylee. I hope she finds a very loving home real soon.

I also read somewhere that the only relief for a dog that is "lightning shy" is to be around a dog that isn't. I don't know what the answer would be in this case.

Ahhh Amy, I can't stand your sister! She shouldn't own ANY TYPE of pets if she can't deal with them..
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

A suggestion

I know your sister no longer has the dog, but I've had success with using desensitization and figured I'd post in case anyone else might benefit.

Get a recording (cassette tape or CD) of thunderstorm sounds (or any other sound that the dog is afraid of) and start by playing it at a very low volume. Low enough that the dog is not frightened by it. Give lots of treats and do the "jolly routine" (laughing and smiling) or play the dog's favorite game while the sounds are playing.

Continue doing these sessions and increase the volume slightly with each session. Each time the dog will become more and more accustomed to the sounds and will actually begin to relate the sounds with something positive.

It takes a bit of time and effort, but it's no different than any other positive reinforcement training technique.

As far as being around another dog that is not lightening shy, I think that has some merit. Dogs in packs definitely pick up on each other's energy (as well as their human's!) and if every other member of the pack shows no sign of fear over something, I think it can help the fearful dog to realize there is nothing to be afraid of. I was able to help one of my dogs get over quite a few fears by ignoring the fear completely, and also by not coddling her. I found that when I ignored the fear and acted like nothing was wrong, over time the fears started to go away. We haven't conquered all of the fears yet (she still hates to be around stainless steel dog dishes!) but there have been lots of successes.

I sure hope Skylee can find a good home!

I have two dogs who have the same problem. Molly (yorkie) and Carly (GSD mix) both just tremble and try to find a hiding place during storms. We use a natural remedy for them when we know that storms are coming. It doesn't put them out, but really relaxes them. We've tried the desensitizing route for storms and it didn't work with either of them.

The big problem we had this summer was the National Ballon Classic. It's a week-long celebration and race for hot air balloonists. They fly right over our house and Molly goes ballistic running about barking until she coughs or throws up. We talked to the vet after natural remedies didn't work. He finally gave us a prescription sedative. Every nice day when we knew the balloons would fly, Molly had to be sedated twice a day so that she wouldn't make herself sick. I felt bad about doing it, but I was so worried about her giving herself a heart attack I elected to take this route.

I hope Skylee finds a new home.

My dog, Samson, was never concerned about thunder storms until this spring. Now he will break down gates and doors in a panic when it thunders and no one is home. When I am home, he trembles and crawls as close as he can to me.

Desensitization won't work because he is getting senile. His brain no longer can process the sensations he's feeling. Unfortunately, he is passing this fear to Bella. She has never been afraid of storms. In fact, she lived in the woods for two years on her own before I got her.

I have a relaxer for Samson, but I can't be there to administer the drops in the afternoon (when the thunder always starts). They work for him, enough to get through an evening storm. When Samson is satisfied, Bella is OK.

I have no idea how to get Samson through an afternoon when I can't be there. So far, there have only been two panic attacks before I get home from work. Any ideas would be appreciated.