Thread: What kind of chews are good for teeth

What kind of chews are good for teeth

Teddy needs something other than raw bones to chew on to keep his teeth clean. he doesn't like raw bones. what else can I give him to chew that will help keep his teeth strong?

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

I have tried a numerous amount of products. I remember when I thought I would try the greenies. Huh, they were eaten so fast that I think the collies got no benifit from them. Plus they have lots of starch in them. I'm afraid you may have to do what I do. Brush his teeth. It's a lot of fun.
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

What sort of bones have you offered the dog?

Champion and Obedience titled Rottweilers

ALWAYS owner handled and trained.
    I CARE ABOUT HEALTH SCREENING
    All remarks are my opinion only.

No part of this post may be copied, pasted, or forwarded without my express permission.
    Property of the original poster only.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19
    Teddy needs something other than raw bones to chew on to keep his teeth clean. he doesn't like raw bones. what else can I give him to chew that will help keep his teeth strong?
    Harper brand of rawhide carried by Walmart. Mine get the chicken rawhide chips each morning. In fact they expect it.

Since your dog doesn't seem to like the raw bones it could be there is some tenderness in the mouth. Next yearly check up ask the Vet about the teeth, and if they need cleaning.

I was also wondering about the condition of his teeth, it could be painful to chew on hard items, for him. You could entice him to chew by putting a small amount of something yummy on the raw bone - ketsup, broth, peanut butter, etc.

I like all of Merrick's chews! My dogs favorites are bully sticks, texas toothpicks, lamb ears, and the twisted tendons.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I'd recommend Bully Sticks. They last a long time, and they are the only kind of chew I've given Marta (who has a sensitive stomach) that hasn't ever made her sick. They are pricey but I think they are worth it. My dogs love them!

I wonder what would be good for my pup; in the past we gave him a couple of pig ears...he really liked them, infact too much. He would lick and suck them until they were completely hydrated (Ugghhhh!!!!) but the last time I gave him one he must have inhaled it (I mean breathed in air quickly, not inhaled as in the way he eats). He started choking and gagging so I had to do a finger swipe to try and get it out. It was somehow lodged in his throat and I had to grab it and pull it out...he was completely fine afterwards-maybe a bit stunned. But it didn't stop him from wanting it more...it went straight to the trash and ever since I have let him keep his "big bone" (the boy I watch likes to call it a dinosaur leg but I am sure its a cow leg) but that is it. I won't buy him anything else because I am afraid it might do the same thing...with his bone it only chips off little flakes at most so I am not as worried. What kind of rawhides could I get that don't moisten and cause a choking hazard?

Teddys teeth are very strong and healthy according to the vet. He doesn't really ahve any plaque now I just want to prevent it. I know it isn't sore for him to chew it because he will chew on anything other than raw bones. I gave him some pork hocks and some soup bones and he wasn't interested in either.

he does like bully sticks but I didn't know if that would help his teeth or not.

We are going to give him a raw chicken neck this week and see what he thinks of that.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com