35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bettas

26 74.29%
  • Goldfish

9 25.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goldfish or Bettas?

Goldfish or Bettas?

Do you perfer Goldfish or Bettas? I like both, but I do perfer Bettas over goldfish. Once before I owned a fancy golfish (Nedly) but he died. I have 2 comets right now, used to have 4. Now that I think of it, I like Bettas much better. to me are much prettier and easier to care for. Goldfish tend to catch things more, what I mean is goldfish have a higher chance of getting swim bladder than Bettas do (well... in MY opinion anyway).
    Please explain why you like whichever best.
    Last edited by zoomer; 08-31-2006 at 08:34 PM.

Bettas. I've had both, but I dunno.. Bettas seem to have more attraction to me, and I just seem to have more fondness for them.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Goldfish can love longer. If well looked after (My mom had one that lived to 6)

They are more active than betta's. (I own both sides so I know).

They come in many forms large and small and are just traditional fish.

Almost every family has had one either the grand parents or the mom's ect..

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13
    Bettas. I've had both, but I dunno.. Bettas seem to have more attraction to me, and I just seem to have more fondness for them.
    Hehe same here

Quote Originally Posted by Argranade
    Goldfish can love longer.

They are more active than betta's. (I own both sides so I know).

They come in many forms large and small and are just traditional fish.

Almost every family has had one either the grand parents or the mom's ect..
    Is that so? Nice to learn I know they're more active, though, I do have 2

I prefer Goldfish. My Nana has a small pond in her backyard and we picked out fish for it when I was little. They lived until last year when the hurricane came through and it killed all of her fish. They had gotten to be huge. I've never really felt an attatchment to fish when I've had them in an aquarium, but I've always loved the Goldfish in her pond. I visited earlier this month and she had picked out new fish sometime earlier this year, and they are tiny! It's so wierd now to see how much room they all have in that pond versus when there were three or four very large fish.

I like Bettas much better. They live longer
    When Goldfish are properly cared for they can live to be 20 years old, much longer than the average lifespan of Bettas.

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    When Goldfish are properly cared for they can live to be 20 years old, much longer than the average lifespan of Bettas.
    I figured that out I just wasn't thinking when I said that... now that I think of it I remember our goldfish that we passed on to my sister's friend, and that goldfish died less than a year ago! That means it was... about... 10-11 years!

I like bettas better.
    But having both in the past and at the moment. Goldfish require a big tank, around 50 gallons or more, I personally think bettas need 2.5 gallon or bigger and I know there are some members who would agree and disagree with me, so bettas don't cost as much and come in many different colors. I do like have goldfish live longer thoguh. So maybe I like both.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by Flatcoatluver
    Goldfish require a big tank, around 50 gallons or more, I personally think bettas need 2.5 gallon or bigger and I know there are some members who would agree and disagree with me, so bettas don't cost as much and come in many different colors.
    I do agree with you in some parts on that, but I think if you're going to get a filter for a Betta you should get the biggest one you can afford, but if you're not gonna get a filter for it then youre gonna wanna be able to lift it, so no larger than 5 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomer
    I do agree with you in some parts on that, but I think if you're going to get a filter for a Betta you should get the biggest one you can afford, but if you're not gonna get a filter for it then youre gonna wanna be able to lift it, so no larger than 5 gallons.
    Well if you get a big tank with a filter you still have to change 1/3 of the water every week. BTW I much rather see my bettas spread there fins and swim like crazy. They enjoy big tanks. Also there are hoses for big tanks to make cleaning tanks a no biggy. I have 2 of my bettas in a 2.5 and one is in a 5 gallon and I clean it every week, is not a big deal, it about quality not quantity.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by Flatcoatluver
    Well if you get a big tank with a filter you still have to change 1/3 of the water every week. BTW I much rather see my bettas spread there fins and swim like crazy. They enjoy big tanks. Also there are hoses for big tanks to make cleaning tanks a no biggy. I have 2 of my bettas in a 2.5 and one is in a 5 gallon and I clean it every week, is not a big deal, it about quality not quantity.
    Well, not really once a week I do it once a month and I think thats fine, my fish do fine. 1 of my Bettas is in a 5 gallon, one is in a 2 gallon and the other in a 2 gallon, and the other one is also in a 2 gallon.

I Love my Goldfish!!! I was never very interested in them before, but almost 5 yeas ago We got our first one for our son, who was 1 as his first pet. I have been hooked ever since. I have 8 now most are 4-5 yrs old the youngest being one. We have watched them grow from tiny 1/2 inch long fish to now almost 6 inches long, living very happily in a 75 gallon tank! They are very entertain9ing and I can sit and watch them for hours. They are also very sweet, thye will let me stroke them and pet them(ha ha ha I know, I am weird!) I have never been all that interested in Bettas, they are pretty, but I just love my goldfish!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I honestly prefer goldfish.
    The little fishy-pigs are just so cute! And never fail to come greet me if I come anywhere near their tank, as they expect food. Right now I have a Ryukin & a Fantail and they're some of the best fish I have.

i prefer bettas i guess

Bettas no contest.I love these little fish with a passion.I can't ever see myself with out a least two.They personality.Nemo is the happiest little fish and alwas at the front of the tank to greet me.
    Last edited by Zippy; 09-01-2006 at 12:35 AM.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010