Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Max's Whole Story...

Max's Whole Story...

This is Max's whole story. I really want to tell you the whole story, it was all broken up before and now I'm going to tell you it all. Every single bit of it.

Sometime earlier this year, I don't know the exact date, my mom got a call from a friend of hers. She's a police women, and she had recently given one of the police dogs she had trained to a women because the dog, Bricks had hip problems. These hip problems weren't fatal, a police dog just couldn't work with them because of all the running, jumping, and agility the dogs need to do. The women that then owned the dog renamed him to Maxwell. Later on the police women found out "Max" was being starved. She called my mom right away, asking her to take him, since the police service couldn't take him back. My mom called the person who had the dog then, and asked what was going on. She said Max was going to be put to sleep in 5 days if no one would adopt him. A day before he was put to sleep we went to go take a look at him. We met at a local park with Rupert. We saw Max and how horrible he looked. He didn't have any meat on him at all, and she said all she fed him was table scraps every once a while. His coat was all blotchy, it was in the condition to wear you could just pull off a whole chunk of fur in places. His hips looked fine to us, we didn't really know what exactly to think about this dog. But we definetley didn't want a dog like this to do. We wondered why she didn't take him to a rescue or something, I mean, an AKC registered dog, papered and all, how fortunete would it be to put to sleep a dog like that? We didn't ask, we should've, but we didn't. I wish we did, though. He and Rupert liked eachother, so we took him home without researching much on German Shepherds, and I see now that that was a big mistake. Max has gotten any bigger than he was when we bought him, but the dander and fur all over the house always bothered my dad, nevertheless everyone else in the family. We've tried putting stuff in the laundry that said it would help, but it didn't. We tried a special air freshener designed just for allergies to animals. It didn't work. We've tried different stuff, different medicines, none of it seems to help. He is also a very big dog. We don't really have a big enough house for him, I tend to think GSDs are one of the biggest dogs, and we honestly don't have room for him and Rupert. Out hallway is rather small, so we can't go down the hallway with him, we have to go single file. Maybe Rupert & a smaller dog, but not Rupert & Max. We're planning at the moment to get a Boxer. but we're still not sure. W'ere also researching Boston Terriers & Pugs, we are not 100% sure at the moment.

It might sound pathetic, and if you insist not believing me, okay, fine. But this is all the truth and none of it is going to be changed. That's the whole story. Thanks for reading.

Also... I know I said I'd leave...but... I was just being stubborn Sorry for making you guys think I was causing drama.

That poor Max.

He needs tender love and care right now. His diet must be accessed, like wise, he needs to be bathed, brushed and seen by a Vet.
    German Shepards are such wonderful dogs!!!!! So full of LOVE!!!! Yet, they require a some maintenence along with space to thrive in.

I am hopeful that if you can't tend to his immediate needs, that you will seek another resource, (another person) who can and will take care of him.

I am so glad that he was not euthanized. As, with proper attention, he will undoubtedly regain his former glory.

Please keep us up-dated on Max!!!

I'm one of Sarah's best friend's so I know pretty much everything she knows about he dogs... LOL, so I'd like to add something everyone. My neighbor Lisa, owns Lola, my show puppy, as some of you have seen in pictures. She's very interested in Max. She's just trying to convience her husband, Mars, to agree. We're not too sure yet, but once he gets neautred and everything, and Mars sees him when we bring him over one day, he'll fall in love with him... and have to say.... YES. Since they have a Rottweiler, they're really experienced with extreme shedders, and they have a HUGE yard. Their big girl, Cocoa, a Doberman/Rottie was just put to sleep, and they weren't exactly looking for another dog at the moment, but then Lisa heard about Max. If you want, keep your fingers crossed for this Maxie boy! Lisa & Mars would give him the best home he could have!

Well it would have been nice to hear the whole story from the beginning, since it wasn't really how you represented it to start with, but thanks for at least telling the truth about it. I know I'm not the only one who prefers to hear the truth rather than made up things to cause drama. You will find yourself a lot more welcome here if you are just up front, even if not everyone agrees with the choices made. I still wish Max the best and I hope you find him a good home, he doesn't deserve to go to the pound. I have to say though, owning two boxers, if your house is not big enough for max, it's not big enough for the energy of a boxer. You may think so but it's not. THey aren't THAT much smaller, do shed, and need a lot of room for running and playing. If they don't get this exercise they will not do well and will become destructive. You should definitely look into a smaller dog, and pugs often shed a lot, so keep that in mind. I would suggest not getting any other dogs for a while if allergies are really a problem in the house though, but if you are gonig to anyway, you really need to get a smaller dog if the house is that small.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

A boxer is still a big dog...Poor Max, you should have started finding him a home when you got him instead of saying you were going to keep him.
    And this is he reason we have so many homless animals, the carlessness of people that dont reaserch the breed.
    I hope he gose to a home where people know how to treat him.
    And your dad cant be allergic to one dog and not the other....
    Hes either allergic or not ?
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Buttercup,

As someone with allergies, it is entirely possible to be allergic to one dog and not another. It happens to me all the time. Lady doesn't bother me, some dogs do, some dogs don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    Buttercup,

As someone with allergies, it is entirely possible to be allergic to one dog and not another. It happens to me all the time. Lady doesn't bother me, some dogs do, some dogs don't.
    But isnt it the dander?
    The kind all dogs have? Except for some of the curly coats.
    And with a coat so similar?
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

It is the dander, but some dogs don't affect me in the least, others do, and I know I'm not unique in that respect.

All flowers have pollen but that doesn't mean people are allergic to all pollens, some bother and some don't .Same principal. BTW LH Rusty says ylou didn't sneeze once at the BBq while he velcroed you! LALALALALALAAAAAAAA!(evil chuckle cause Rusty loves Lady)

It is entirely possible to be allergic to some dogs and not others, I would just hate to see the family go through a string of dogs trying to find one he's not allergic to and I think if he is that allergic they are better off just keeping the one dog the already have that he can deal with and not keep getting others that might cause the same reaction as Max. Then what happens to all those dogs if he IS allergic? That's personally for me why I suggested they just don't get any other dogs right now.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

There are many great rescues that will take in purebred dogs. Please contact this one:

http://www.washingtongsd.org/

They specialize in the GSD.

I'm glad you rescued Max but sounds like you need to find him a home. You really need to meet the breeds you are thinking of and read up. If you don't have room for a GSD you DON"T have room for a Boxer (I know I have had to rearrange some of my life for Tyson the energizer boxer) I have 2 newfies and he wears thm out and still has go power. Most all young dogs will be full of energy, I might suggest an older dog, they are calmer with age ,but remember some DO NOT ever slow down.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

GSD's bother my allergies and other breeds don't. Pugs shed a ton! Don't get a pug if your dad has problems. I work in a boarding kennel and of all the dogs we have, the pugs shed the most for their size. When we wash down the kennels each morning, the pugs have the most hair in the drains.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I haven't gotten too involved in this whole situation for a few reasons. All I'm going to say is please don't get a boxer. If you absolutely must get another dog, which I think is a horrible idea, please get something small or at the most, a medium sized dog (nothing bigger than a cocker spaniel type, in my opinion).
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Sarah, how that I'm really thinking on this, have you thought about having just Rupert? I mean, it'll give you much more quality time with him, and I'm sure you would have much more time to train him and play with him. Nevertheless, there won't be as much fur, as much brushing, or as much expenses. But otherwise, maybe you should try a small dog, as I was talking to you about earlier. Like a Boston Terrier, or possibly even a Bulldog. I don't know how much Beagles and Bassett Hounds shed, but maybe you should try researching in. Hope I could help...