We came home this past weekend and as soon as we opened the door there was an overwhelming urine odor. We let our noses do the walking and it appears that CJ has been peeing (spraying?) in the corner right by the door. We have our shoes piled there and I said it couldn't be him because our shoes don't smell, but when we picked up the carpet fragment we had down to cover the regular carpeting, there was no mistaking the odor and stains on the bottom of it. We figure he must have been doing it when Terry was at work because right where the stains were the worst is right where Terry's work shoes are, and they don't smell a bit!

I got the ol' trusty Nature's Miracle out and proceeded to clean the walls and the carpeting. After letting it dry, we could still smell the urine, so I cleaned again, emptying the bottle completely. This morning the smell is still pretty strong.

I'm off to buy a blacklight during lunch to make sure we're cleaning the right spot, but we're pretty sure we are because that's where the odor is the strongest. Any ideas on any other products I might use to get rid of the odor - for us and for CJ so he doesn't continue this behavior?

We've got two theories on why he's doing this. The first one is that some previous tenant's cat peed there and CJ can smell it. We're pretty sure this happened because the carpeting is already pulled up as if extensive cleaning had been done on it already. The second one is that we know the neighbors have cats and since this is right by the door, I think he might have been letting everyone outside the door know that his territory starts here!

Anyway, suggestions on cleaners would be appreciated. I'm thinking our $300.00 "pet deposit" is out the window now.....