Thread: Female Siberian Husky Puppy aggressive towards female labrador

Female Siberian Husky Puppy aggressive towards female labrador

Hello everyone, I am a new dog owner and just last week we got a 11 weeks old Siberian Husky. We thought we would give her a friend to play with while we were gone since huskies don't like being alone so we just got a 8 weeks old female labrador. After the Husky sniff around for a while it became extremly aggressive towards the new puppy, biting her and everything. I understand that dogs are aggressive towards the same sex. But if I were to exchange the female lab with a male lab, will the result still be aggression? Or will the husky live peacefully with the male lab? Thanks.

sounds mor like puppy play to me

A universal game among most every species is "I'm gonna bite your head" - every litter of puppies, kittens, lion cubs, hyenas, meerkats - every nature documentary that shows youngsters invariably includes a session of this game.

If it's just mouthing and nipping, it's play behavior, and just something to keep an eye on so no pup gets hurt. They're establishing their relationship, only instead of bickering like human childen, they'll do so in puppy form.

I'm note quite sure and I don't think it's a playful gesture. I mean the female siberian was like growling and she has never growled at anyone or anything before. She was aggressively "trying" to attack the new puppy. Can anyone else comment on this? Thanks.

Blue I have raised rotties for 25 yrs have dobies and small dogs also at their age the growling barking and biting is NORMAL and simply 2 sister establing order and hierachy neither one is old enough to do damage and as long as you let them work their issues out as youngsters they will grow up fast friends.

Talking

If I were you, I would keep an eye on them. If they are rough-housing and not actually hurting each other then fine. If either one becomes to aggresive then stop them both and lay them down on the floor beside each other. Let them both be submissive to you. Hope it helps. I know it works with my jack russell and schauzer mix.
    Dee
    Take care and God Bless

Huskies play rough. It often looks and sounds like they are killing each other. I have 23 of them. My husband always says if there's no blood, they are playing. If she meant to hurt the puppy, she would have!

She may well have been telling the pup that she is the boss dog. The first time Muskwa met Earle(Muskwa was 2, Earle was 8 weeks), Muskwa grabbed Earle by the throat, flipped him and held him there. It wasn't aggression, Earle wasn't hurt, Muskwa was just making sure Earle knew who the boss dog was.

Most huskies are good with other dogs. She likely just needs some to adjust to the new addition. You likely don't have to worry about same sex aggression until the puppy starts to mature. Get her spayed asap(the husky too if she's not already). You'll have fewer problems if they are both altered.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I agree with Glacier, huskies do not play like typical dogs. They are rough and they usually are very noisy (lots of growling) when playing. When my siberian husky was a young pup there were a few times when I thought he was being truely aggressive. It turns out he was just a little brat. It takes time, patience, and training to turn them into the wonderful dogs they have the potential to be. I can't say for sure but I don't think getting a male lab instead would be a magical cure or anything...could you take the husky to where you got the lab puppy and see how she interacts with the other pups both male and female? I highly recommend spaying/neutering both dogs while they are young, 4-6 months.

You definitely have your hands full with two puppies. Did you research siberian huskies or labs before getting them? Huskies are not your average dogs at all, they can be stubborn and hard to train, they are prone to running off (can't be off leash), have a high prey drive (generally not good with small animals), etc. I don't have any experience with labs but from what I've heard they are mellower and easier to train than huskies. Either way you are going to have two very high energy dogs on your hands, I hope you have a fenced yard and plenty of time to exercise them!

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    You definitely have your hands full with two puppies.

Jeez, I didn't even notice that they are both puppies. You are definately going to have your hands full. The sibe was almost certainly just playing!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Arrow how aggressive is it?

Quote Originally Posted by blueshining76
    Hello everyone, I am a new dog owner and just last week we got a 11 weeks old Siberian Husky. We thought we would give her a friend to play with while we were gone since huskies don't like being alone so we just got a 8 weeks old female labrador. After the Husky sniff around for a while it became extremly aggressive towards the new puppy, biting her and everything. I understand that dogs are aggressive towards the same sex. But if I were to exchange the female lab with a male lab, will the result still be aggression? Or will the husky live peacefully with the male lab? Thanks.
    ---
    ---hi, do you think maybe it's just a satge of learning? My dog bit and jumped on other dogs when he was a puppy and he nearly got himself bitten because he scratched a boxer in the face. If it is worse than that, then that IS agressive, but if it's just like my dog it might be a stage of learning. OK? I'm sure things will work out.

Thanks guys for your observation, however I've decided to return the lab puppy as two puppies can be a handfull. I thought that I would get a friend for the sibe but it is tough to take care of both puppies at once. Sibe are very smart dogs, other than the fact that they don't obey everytime, they are perfect dogs.

I am sorry to hear that. Your lab loses out on a great family and a wonderful packmate. Dogs are like kids if you are going to train one then train 2 or more. I have been in your shoes(trust me) and a handful now is a home full later. Please think hard before you make a life choice. I wish you luck and blessings.