Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beau's vet appointment...not good news..Updated again--better news!

Quote Originally Posted by orangemm
    How is that sweet boy doing?

He held his own over the weekend. He likes the Hill's formula food. I've been giving him lots of soft food. He doesn't eat much at a time, but he eats a little every time I offer him some.
    He seems pretty content right now. Doesn't seem to be feeling too poorly! I will have his full test results later this afternoon.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Such a smoochable face. Hope you keep feeling OK, Beau.

I'll be waiting to hear the test results.

Update.....

I got Beau's test results today. It's mixed news. The good news is that his kidneys are working...not perfectly, but much better than expected. His kidney values are within normal limits for a cat of his age. The bad news is that his problems are being caused by his liver. Not sure why but his liver values are off the charts, very high! The vet says there are several reasons--feline hepatitis, tumor or toxin exposure. I'm willing to bet on toxin. Beau was a stray before he got here. Who knows how long he wandered or what he got into! Most of the potential causes can only be diagnosed through a biopsy.

I have decided not to proceed with any further tests at this point. Beau is comfortable, happy, content and not in any pain. His appetite is good. He doesn't eat much on his own, but if I stick food under his nose he eats a little every time. I can't see much benefit from putting him through surgery. The vet says that her treatment plan wouldn't change much regardless of the diagnosis. She had no definate prognosis. He could get weeks, months, maybe even a bit longer with good management. So for now at least, I am just going to manage the symptoms. Beau will get sub-q fluids as he needs them, a little milk thistle to help his liver, a low protein diet when he'll eat it and all the loving he can handle.

Oh, and nip! He'll have to get regular doses of nip!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Please give that sweet boy some scritches from me.

Beau, honey, I will be praying for you. and, keep eating!!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

Oh, Oh, use the milk thistle for sure. When Sebastian (ferret) had awful liver values I put him on it. Next month his liver values were back to acceptable. He's doing fine now as far as his liver goes. Baldness is another story.

Prayers for Beau that he gets better with all the TLC he's getting from his meowmie. I'm sure your sheer will alone will keep him going!!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

It sounds like a perfect plan. We love you Beau and are hoping you keep your appetite up.

We are praying for Beau to fool everyone, and have many more years of good health.
    They told me that when I took Smokey in that he would have six months , tops.
    He had almost 7 years.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

> smile < Tamara!

There's a lot worse things he could be suffering from!

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier

So for now at least, I am just going to manage the symptoms.
    Beau will get sub-q fluids ...
    milk thistle to help his liver ...
    a low protein diet ...

and all the loving he can handle!

Oh, and nip! He'll have to get regular doses of nip!
    I'm sure if you asked Beau, he'd say the Plan is just *FINE* with him!

Beau sez:
    Hey MOM!
    Ya mentioned "NIP" ... now that ya mention it, a NIP Partee would be
    just GREAT rite now! Let's get started wiffa PLAN!"

Feel Better, Beau!!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

That FACE is so KISSABLE! And milk thistle and all that love will do him a world of good.

Oh, and the NIP! YAH!

hugs
    Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I hope he's happy and healthy for many more years, at least he's in a place where he is loved.

Beau is so lucky to have you! Your plan for him sounds like the best option. He looks like such a loveable, huggable, kissable, smoochable fellow! Keep up the good work, and keep us posted!

Deb
    Rest in Peace, dear Oreo: April 20, 1997-July 18, 2011
    :Rest in Peace, beautiful Sandi: March 18, 1994-January 23, 2010

::
    Rest in Peace, sweet Angel: July 1, 2001-May 14, 2009

Deb

I agree, sounds like a perfect plan. As long as he's comfortable.....that and all the loving he can take sounds like a pretty good life to me.

He really does have such a sweet face. Please give him smoochies from me. I will be hoping and praying the fluids, the loving and the milk thistle do the trick and he's with you for many many months to come.

(milk thistle? have to go look that one up)
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Please, please KISS THAT CAT FOR ME!
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier

Beau you are the sweetest boy. I hope you have many wonderful times ahead of you because you certainly deserve the best.

Lot of hugs to you Tamara to taking such good care of this little guy.

Betty
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Beau, you sure are going to live a long long time in such a happy home. You'll have all the nip you can handle and lots of loving, and this is all you need to keep you going isn't it. You're so so handsome and I just wish I could cuddle you, you're meowmie is so lucky to have a great gentleman in her house.
    As long as you're happy that's all that matter, and you know what I think you're probably the happiest you've been in you life aren't you