Thread: When to switch from puppy to adult food??

When to switch from puppy to adult food??

Hi,

Is there a right/wrong time to switch from puppy food to adult dog food? My pups are about 8 month old right now, and I still feed them puppy food, but they do not like their food very much (Once I've made a mistake of feeding them our food, from then on, they refuse to eat their puppy food, though I've tried many different brands). I wonder if adult food will make them like it any better.

What breed of dogs do you have? There is many opinions on what age to switch to puppy food. I recommend around 9 months. We just switched Sammy, my cocker spaniel, over to adult food and he is 10 months old. Do not feed your dogs table scraps... it will only make them favor people food over their own. If they will not eat for this reason, don't give them treats because you think they're starving... a healthy dog will not starve itself. A vet check up might be in order (if they refuse to eat), just to rule out any health problems. Maybe a better quality food they will like better. What brand are you currently feeding them?

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Oh, they're both Chi-mix. I've started them out with Puppy Chow, then Purina One, then moved on to Iams, Natural Heath, Pedigree. Now I mix all of them into one bowl, and they do not touch it!! They seem to be able to starve themselves until I gave in every time.

I don't just feed them table craps. They get whatever we have for dinner, but at different time (so that they don't beg while we eat).

they will eat when they get hungry enough. stop feeding people food all together! your dogs are old enough to switch to adult food. i would definatly pick a food and stick with it. it's not good for a dog's insides to keep changing like that. don't feed Pedigree! it's nothin but by products and fillers. when picking a food for your dogs make sure the #1 ingredient in meat. not a meat by-product, not corn, not rice. MEAT.

another reason to never feed your dogs people food is because it will unbalance the dog's nutrition. good dog foods are good enough. NO PEOPLE FOOD!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Do not give in, they won't starve themselves... you are doing more harm then good in giving them people food. Do you have petco or petsmart? I suggest feeding them Nutro or Natural Balance. I'm switching my pups from Iams to one of those two brands. It is much better for them! Natural Balance is about the same or even less expensive then Iams. Your pups are old enough to switch to adult food.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Personally I don't believe in puppy food. In the wild, pups get less nutrition than the adults, so why do kibble companies feel they need more? I feel it's contributing to alot of bone/joint problems in today's society.
    I've been BOO'd!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul
    Personally I don't believe in puppy food. In the wild, pups get less nutrition than the adults, so why do kibble companies feel they need more? I feel it's contributing to alot of bone/joint problems in today's society.
    I agree.

I agree with that, Jordan. I feed Fozzie CA Natural Puppy, but the ingredients & protein/fat/etc levels are much more balanced and similar to an all-ages formula... to be perfectly honest, I only feed him this kibble because my manager (who worked as a tech for the vet who founded Natura) guilt-tripped me when I told her he was on an all-stages kibble. :/ He will definitely not be getting any puppy kibble, actually no kibble at all, by the time he's 6 months old.

To the OP, please do get your pups on a higher quality kibble if at all possible. If they are not responding well to eating it, they COULD know something you don't, as far as it's nutritional value. The best you can get from a grocery store brand, if absolutely necessary, is probably Purina One or Pro Plan... still, they would probably be much happier with a kibble that you can get at a feed or pet store. Great options are Canidae, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, Chicken Soup, etc... these kibbles are widely available and reasonably priced, with much better quality.

About feeding "people" food, why not? I know plenty of people, and PT-ers, who never fed their dogs anything but kibble which only resulted in very sensitive stomaches to any changes. Dogs should get some variety. Supplementing with cooked plain meats, pulped veggies, and such to kibble is a good thing IMO.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz