Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iams?

Iams?

I have been reading some posts where people talk about their dogs "used to eat Iams, but not anymore?"... what is the deal with Iams? I feed it to Noba... all this talk about it being bad or something has me nervous... someone please fill me in!

The only reason my son does not feed his dog "Iams" dog food, is because she became quite ill after eating it.(vomiting and diahrea). At the time, my dogs would not touch it, so , I gave it to my son for his dog.

We never read the listed ingredients on the bag, but, we asume it contained something his dog was allergic to. This occured over a year ago. His dog eats Eukanuba now.

Since losing two dogs to two seperate forms of cancer, (not to confuse with about Iams,) I now read the ingredients listed on the side of the bag., or , on a box of treats, etc.Over the counter dog food (Wal-Mart, Grocery store, etc) receive a thumbs down. They contain fillers, by products, dyes, that are not only harmful, just down right disgusting. I had a lot to learn about what I fed the dog I love .

I'll do some comparisons , since reading your post. Sorry I am not up to snuff of why everyone is up in arms about the "Iams" brand.But, there is a reason, for sure.

If your dog has eaten it for a long time and is ok, yet , you are concerned as to what is going into your dog, stay tuned to Pet Talk because there are plenty of experts who will offer you more on this subject.

I will keep coming back to this thread myself, to learn all that I can.

Thanks for posting it!!!!!!

There was a big stink several years ago about the treatment of animals in some 3rd party testing labratories that Iams contracted with. Many people stopped using their products then. Others stopped because Iams was purchased by Proctor and Gamble. Iams corrected the testing problems, but many people stil have an issue with them.

My puppy eats Iams Puppy food.

Logan

i USED to feed iams..i personally think there are much better dog food options out there

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    I got upset after what PETA said about them - so now i feed Purina 1
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

I've never fed Iams or Eukanuba (same company or at least they used to be). But originaly the reason was because I am so against the terrible animal testing they did. Now I still won't feed it because I have since learned about proper ingredients & there are MANY better brands of food out there. Which by the way, still aren't good enough for my kids (dogs) so they eat raw.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Iams and Eukanuba dog foods are very low quality. There are many more kibbles out on the market today that can greatly improve your dog's health - even a "perfectly" healthy dog.

I'll never feed Iams to any of my animals. (The only time I did was when we first got our girls as puppies - the shelter feeds Iams.)

Don't be nervous, though. Iams is okay - Noba isn't going to be hurt from eating it. But, like I said there are so many higher quality foods available and a lot of information on feeding raw diets for dogs.

If you're interested and financially able to, I could give you a list of some dog foods to be on the look out for.. some of the ingrediants sound good enough for me to eat!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    I got sick after seeing this site, i told everyone i know. 73 people stopped feeding iams ( mostly people i met at agility )

What kinds of dog food are better?

STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundGirl
    I got sick after seeing this site, i told everyone i know. 73 people stopped feeding iams ( mostly people i met at agility )

What kinds of dog food are better?

There's probably hundreds of threads listing decent kibble. I'm sure if you do a search you're bound to find what you are looking for.
    Here's the most recent thread:
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ghlight=kibble
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundGirl
    I got upset after what PETA said about them - so now i feed Purina 1
    I do not trust much of anything PETA says.

What I do know: different dogs do better on different foods, and less filler/better food CAN mean less poop to scoop!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I couldn't agree more!!!! Well said Karen!

Just look at the ingredients, and read up on what nutrition "by-products", "corn", and "grain" will provide your dog. Not much, at all. IMO, feeding dog food full of junk that dogs cannot digest (hence Karen's comment about poops, the waste that they produce is a result of all of the grain/corn/sorghum that they cannot digest, and therefor is useless to their body) is equal to people eating chips & sugary cereals as a basis of their diet. Look for a kibble with absolutely NO corn, NO soy, NO wheat/grain, NO by-products, and with at least 2 of the top 3 ingredients being a specific meat (preferably Chicken meal, Lamb meal, or Turkey meal). The more meat protein in the kibble, the less waste your dog will produce and the less stress it will put on the disgestive tract. You will also see improvements in coat, skin, eyes, ears, energy, etc, if you feed a more species appropriate diet (which means more meat).

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by Karen

What I do know: different dogs do better on different foods, and less filler/better food CAN mean less poop to scoop!
    I agree 100%!!!!!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I have no problem financially and am a little interested... what are some of the "better" quality foods that you might recommend. Iams Smart Puppy Large Breed is what he has been eating, and it seems to do great with Noba, although he does seem to be getting a little tired of the taste. I am always open to suggestions. I had thought about maybe trying RAW, but not right now... I don't think I could stomach him eating raw meat in front of me... anyway, thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    Iams and Eukanuba dog foods are very low quality. There are many more kibbles out on the market today that can greatly improve your dog's health - even a "perfectly" healthy dog.

I'll never feed Iams to any of my animals. (The only time I did was when we first got our girls as puppies - the shelter feeds Iams.)

Don't be nervous, though. Iams is okay - Noba isn't going to be hurt from eating it. But, like I said there are so many higher quality foods available and a lot of information on feeding raw diets for dogs.

If you're interested and financially able to, I could give you a list of some dog foods to be on the look out for.. some of the ingrediants sound good enough for me to eat!

Do a search on the forum for kibbles. You'll find lots of higher quality kibbles to choose from.

I fed Kai Eukanuba when he was a pup because the breeder did. I found out about the higher quality kibbles out there and switched him. Iams/Eukanuba isn't that bad compared to all the other kibbles out there.. but it wouldn't be my first choice either! My general rule of thumb for kibbles is, look for ingredients you know! The higher quality kibbles will have ingredients you recognize as food.

There was also that thing about the animal testing.. I've never really looked into it since it's hard for me to take things PETA says seriously.. but even if they weren't testing, I still wouldn't feed Iams/Eukanuba because of the ingredients alone.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]