Thread: Signs of senility?

Signs of senility?

No, not in me, I'm still middle-aged, but in my 20 year-old cat.

Last night, I got up about 2am and sat on my bed stroking Ginger for a while. She got down, walked over to the sofa, jumped up onto a fake fur throw and used it as a litter box. She made no attempt to go the litter box room, which isn't far away, and didn't use the floor, she simply seemed to view the sofa as the right place to pee. I was glad I was awake since I was able to clean up right away but then I had to set her up in my dressing room since I had no idea what she would use as a litter box next.

For the past year, her litter box habits have been very messy since she either gets into the box and goes over the side or simply goes on the lino/newpaper around the boxes, but at least she went to the right place.

Is this a sign of senility in a cat? She has seemed more "out of it" lately but I thought that was our heat wave. Has anyone else experienced this in an elderly cat?

My 15 year old cat Ebony doesn't do this, but I'm convinced he talks to himself. Sometimes I hear him meowing and chirping, go to check out what's going on, and he's walking around, talking to himself!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

My Tabitha is 18 (turned on June 10) and she shows no signs of senility. I am sorry that this is happening to you and your furbaby... and I wish I had some advice for you. I am sure that the many others on here have much more experience with older kitties!

Gee, that is a hard one. I would say it is a good possiability that it is old age but I would have the vet check her out, at 20 years old I wouldn't take any chances.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    Gee, that is a hard one. I would say it is a good possiability that it is old age but I would have the vet check her out, at 20 years old I wouldn't take any chances.
    She had an bi-annual check-up about 3 weeks ago and came out of it with flying colors. Her blood values are all in normal range, urine sample normal, no masses, eyes are good, coordination good, no arthritis. I'm wondering if she is having some minor strokes the way elderly people do where the only symptom is some confusion or memory loss.

we lost our 23 yr old siamese Solomon 2 yrs ago and he did the same thing, the vet said it was just a part of his aging process. He was also very healthy right up till the end, just had trouble remembering some things, he also would forget he was eating sometimes and walk around with a mouthful of food for a while till it hit him to chew Just love her and try to keep in mind that she is older now and needs patience from your letter I see she has that and plenty of love too! hugs to her and you

Sadly you are probably right.
    A 20 year Old Cat may just suddenly have to pee, and either forget where to go, or not be able to get there in time.
    Thats so sad when that happens, in our Family and in Our Companions.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

It very well could be age... but if the litter habits have been getting gradually worse, it might be time to add easier to get in and out of pans in extra locations... of course keep the one she's used to, but even if thevet did not find artheritis, if she's going next to, it might be a getting in and out issue (or could just be she feels that she's "close enough")

Another vet visit might be in order... a urinaray infection culd come on fast and spark the behavior you described.

Hope you have more good years together.

20 years old is ancient for a cat. We had a 21 year old family cat who was arthritic and terribly nearsighted but mentally alert. They have practically all the old age problems humans have. It's perfectly possible she's experiencing senile dementia.
    Randy

I remember Smokey who was 23 waking up scared, and hissing at nothing.
    The Poor Old Cat would be ahving a nightmare, I think about the Husky Dog that the family brought in, and who tied to kill him.
    Then he would look around and calm down.
    He was a Dear Old Fellow.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My RB cat, Brando, started to do this as he got older, and it did gradually get worse and worse. We never found out what caused it or how to stop him doing it. I hope everything turns out OK for your cat, unfortunately dementure is a difficult case to treat.

Zimbabwe 07/13