Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does your dog do while you're out?

We went on vacation this weekend camping. The campground does not allow dogs. It's close by so we were able to go check on our dogs once in a while. We also had a family member check in on them. Well, I went home the one time and Patience wasn't in the living rom. There was food (chips, fruit snacks, etc.) chewed up all over the living room floor. Patience came down from upstairs. She broke the gate at the bottom of the steps. I went upstairs to investigate. The two bedroom doors upstairs were closed so she only had access to the loft bedroom. She had eaten all the crunchies out of the litter box. Not only did she eat them, but she dug at the litter box. Those patties sure do fly. I guess eating all that made her belly pretty full because she left me a big pile of poop in the middle of the floor. Then when my husband went home the one time, she had gotten loose and was running loose in the field playing with the horses. (We just brought the horses home Thurday.) I guess she was trying to get even with us for leaving her.
    Dakota either lays under the back porch in his hole and sleeps or barks at the horses or guards the tree waiting for that squirrel to come down.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

i wish my dog would act as good as some of your dogs when we leave him at home!! ollie usually gets in the garbage,tears down the shades and sits on the back of the couch and waits for us to pull up. whenever we leave and come back that is where he is sitting-its so cute

This is for KYS !

Hi
    Ummm...I wanted to know which of your dogs is named Rocky ? I think you said something in that in your reply or whatever that you have or had a dog named Rocky. Could you please send a picture of him/her.
    Thank you

puppycloud

Yup! I agree- pictures of your dogs caught red-handed will be most welcome! I am getting a Golden Retriever pup soon and will fill you in on anyantics soon~

puppycloud, I am sorry I did not reply sooner. I just read your post.
    IF the picture comes out Rocky is the Big black dog.
    On my signature he is the last one one the left side.

OMG! Sammi I just cracked up when I read your post. My dogs do (did) the same thing with our doggie door. I would have couch cushions and pillows out side or stuck in the door every time I came home! Not to mention anything else Lexi wanted to take outside. But she did chew on things out there. She grew tired of that and became the good dog. Sasha never did any of that. Now, Maddie has replaced Lexi in the bad dog category. She chews, eats, drags anything she can find! She even drug a huge tree branch complete with nice pretty leaves INTO the house thru the doggie door the other day. I was laughing way to hard to punish her !

KYS your dogs are gorgeous! Rocky is so handsome, and the dog next to him (sorry I don't know the name!) is such a sweet scruff-faced cutie!

Max and Petey sleep, drink and play Tug-a-Wubby.

What is a Wubby? It's their favorite toy - a fake-sheepskin little man. It used to be a stuffed pig when we lived in Chicago, but we can't find them here in L.A. My husband discovered Max's penchant for the Wubby when I was away one weekend. Max found our feather duster which had a huuuuuuuuuuuuge handle on it. Max carried it to my husband with the stick "thwacking" everything in its path. Hubby realized that Max must like this kind of toy - and he was right!

So, the Wubby is the toy of choice, and Tug-of-Wubby is the game of choice when you've got two dogs!

Brutus, a boxer mix, is normal a great dog! He's 7 now, and not as active as when he was younger. He never got into the trash, but he was quite the escape artist. He got out once and went down to road to a car repair shop. They fed him McDonalds food, and left a message on our answering machine. We retrieved one very greasy, nasty pup! That was the only time he really 'left'. He did, and still does, somehow get out of the backyard, (doesnt dig, and cant jump the fence) and he comes into the unfenced front yard, and sits on the patio-couch and waits for us. He loves to watch the cars go by I guess.

I've been thinking about getting a 'nanny-cam', just to see what he really does!

[ September 22, 2001: Message edited by: dababy ]

What a wonderful topic.
    When my dog was a baby, he chewed everything, the edges of the kitchen cabinets, the little buttons off the screws, kitchen chair legs, his bed blanket (which by the way is more hole than blanket, now), but his favourite has got to be the stuffed toys which he used to sneak out of my daughter's room. He really loved those. Usually the only thing he does now, when he gets the chance, is to chew the lids off plastic juice/milk bottles. What a mess when we get home!!!!!
    We love him to bits, though, and can't imagine life without our baby!

Wow! I feel better about my "bad" girl now! And wonder why some of you don't crate your dogs when you go out? I had always crated mine till we recently bought a very small house and haven't found a good place for the crate. Not that mine do much while we are gone... I think they just sleep while alone. Its when we are home , right under our noses, that bad things happen. Diapers get chewed if the pail isnt latched tight. YUCK! Underwear and socks are dragged into the living room. Lately we have had an increase in "accidents" on the rug since we brought home a new kitten. When Barahona was a puppy, she got ahold of an ink pen and chewed that up, and left inky footprints all over the rug..guess she didnt know there'd be so much 'evidence' linking her with the crime!
    Sonya and the 2 weinerdogs, Fritz the cat, and 2 rats

my new pup, Cookie, well she was so bad but I had no heart to scold her for it. She went to the garden and dug up all her bone collection and dropped it, nylon bone and all in my lap when I came back. the garden was a total mess with holes all over it. I had to spend an hour filling them in. But she honestly thought that she was giving me a present. I was going to scold her but i had no heart to reprimand her at all.
    I think I own my dog, but it owns my heart and home

I have no idea what mine do when we are out, but there is nothing amiss when we get home, so... hurray...they do stay out of trouble. One thing though is when we leave, they always run to the chair at the front window and as we drive away, the last thing I see are the *faces in the window*. I always wave to them. I wonder if the neighbors ever see these dramatic good-byes.

MY BABY DAISY BARKS, KNOCKS DOWN SOME PLANTS, TRIES TO PLAY WITH POLLY, CRYS,
    SLEEPS, RUNS AROUND THE HOUSE, EATS POLLY'S FOOD, AND WE LEAVE THE TV ON FOR HER AND POLLY SO SHE WATCHES TV. SHE DOES ALL THAT BECAUSE SHE IS MAD THAT WE LEFT HER ALONE.

What DOESN'T Duncan do when I'm gone!?!?!! He chews up anything and everything in his path!! He developed a taste for my roommate's VERY EXPENSIVE shoes, boots, clothes, furniture, books...Always hers, never mine! I guess he likes Ann Taylor and Nine West better than Payless and Sears! When he is at my boyfriend's house with me and we leave him, he finds anything of Collin's roomates' things and chews them up!! I guess he figures that we'll be mad if he eats our stuff. Or that if he chews up stuff that we have to keep replacing, (because I EXPECTED to lose some of MY belongings when I brought him home the first time!), then we'll stop leaving him!