Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need opinions please.

I need opinions please.

I have always wanted a Weimaraner and the Southside Animal Shelter in Indy has one named Max who gets along well with other animals and has been neutered and shots, but still needs rabies (I think). He was supposed to be adopted this week, but the guy said he was too strong for them and didn't take him. When I talked to Rosie last night she seemed pretty frustrated and said that if I wanted him to come down and visit him and see how it goes and if it goes well I can take him home on Saturday. Oh, he also has a bad coat. My question is...should we do it??

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Former User Guest
    Why not? At least you can go and have a look and decide then? Ok, not much help to you, sorry....

I have owned one

As a child, our family had one of these dogs. It was VERY high maintenance and very high strung. It was very distructful, to say the least.

I can't say as though I had much say in the matter at the time, but the dog was given to my father because the owner was not able to control it.

They are very fit dogs and very active. Very smart as well.

Of course, each dog is different.

I would take it for a walk first!

Let us know!

Yes, I agree...it wouldn't hurt to have a look at Max. Remember, too, that dogs in Animal Shelters are often under great stress (no matter how good the shelter is) & so their potential to bloom as pets in good homes mightn't show. SpencerTheLion's comment that the state of the coat is usually fixable with diet & care is very worth considering.
    Marie

Originally posted by Slave of 15 Dogs
    Oh Marie, we are REALLY familiar with stressed out dogs at shelters!! lol All of our dogs are rescues so stress is all we know when we get them!
    Hi, mugsy...I love your husband's net name! I do Tibetan Spaniel Rescue & am in touch with lots of other rescue groups. We keep finding that the rescue dogs change so much when they move into a home where there's patience & understanding of their need to learn not to fear & be anxious.

But so many people judge the dogs' temperaments when they're still under stress...& won't risk taking them as pets. If only they knew how many of these dogs change into the best pets ever when their circumstances are changed. They are often even better pets than dogs who've never been in need. (That's true of our wonderful rescue Sheltie, Danny.)

For this reason, I really like the shelters/rescue groups that use a system where the dogs are placed in foster homes... in real homes with people experienced with understanding & meeting dogs's needs. We've got a good one like this..run by a community volunteer group. It's at
    http://www.fosterdogs.org

Now I'm getting off my soapbox & am going to follow the link to see Max. Thank goodness for people like you & your husband, mugsy. Gee I wish there was a bridge over the Pacific...I'd love to be working along with you guys on rescue.
    Marie

I would suggest to see how he gets along with the others and then take it from there (or take him away from there ) Let us know what you decide

Mugs, the link you posted brought me to some German webpage? I tried it under http://www.ssasi.org and it worked. Haven't looked at Max yet but I will right now...

Well I looked. Max is stunningly beautiful...I'm sure he won't be in the shelter long.

I myself, would love to take this guy home with me!! If Aly doesn't get him first!!

Last edited by jennifert; 05-16-2002 at 07:44 AM.

Ok, or this one....Do they just MAKE dogs cuter in Indiana or what!!! Every time I look at a website that you post Mugsy, I fall in love!!

Sorry to go off topic Mugsy. I'll stop now I promise!!

I finally managed to have a look at him (and spent quite a long time on the other dogs & cats too ) and I can understand why you are SOOOO tempted

Oh Max is beautiful!!!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

jennifer....you get off topic as much as you want to...I like it!! Rosie does have some cuties doesn't she. Have you tried the SPCA here in Fort Wayne (even though I won't volunteer anymore, I still want the dogs to find homes.) It's www.aspca.org and then there is the Allen County Animal Care and Control (the kill shelter here that takes in over 900 animals a month) at www.cityoffortwayne.org and then go to Animal Care and Control and click on adoptions. That's two more here in Indiana. Have you checked out Pet Refuge recently...they have some more beauties. www.petrefuge.com

Ok, I'll stop tempting now!! lol

Thanks for all your input and I will be taking Tigger (and possibly Sox) with me to Indy on Saturday to check things out. I'll let everyone know, but keep posting opinions!!!

Molly, ever since I can remember joining Pet Talk you have said you would love a Weimeraner. Check Max out! I think dogs in general are high matenance, some higher than others. But you know what you are getting yourself into. I can not wait to hear about your decision!

Good luck!

Max is beautiful! I love weimies, but they sure are high energy! There were 3 in Cincy's puppy class and one of them moved on to Puppy 2 with us. There is also a new puppy in our neighborhood that comes to see the girls occasionally. Check him out, I'm sure he'd be a great addition to your family!

I just want everyone to know how much crap I'm getting from Mike for posting this. He laughes hysterically and says,"You know you're going to get down there and Tigger and Sox are going to get along fine with him and you're going to have him in the car before Rosie knows what's going on!" lol

He is convinced that everything is going to go well and he'll be a Kendall by Saturday afternoon! lol

Thanks again for all your input!!

You know you're going to get down there and Tigger and Sox are going to get along fine with him and you're going to have him in the car before Rosie knows what's going on
    Well, to be honest a lot of us suspect that that's exactly what's going to happen LOL We all pretend to give you some serious advice but inside we are just thinking "Molly go and get him!"