Thread: The "perfect" cat litter

The "perfect" cat litter

What kind of cat litter do you use? I want to find the "perfect" kind when I have to switch Jenna from paper to litter. Her poopie is not as strong anymore..so I am so glad for that!!

I use Purina for indoor cats...the white bag. A cat at the kennel where I work used it, and I liked it. Keeps pee odor down.

Also check with your vet - I know a cat here didn't like the soft clay stuff (clumping weighs a ton and is a pain for me to look after) as she 'sank' in it(the cat psychic had found that out, and also that the kitty said she would try to use it - it worked!).

Just my experience.

Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I use Premium Choice Flushable litter. I live in a small apartment, and it's a lot easier for me to use... just flush the stuff down the john (or loo, or bog).

For South Bay pet talkers: It's cheapest at Pet Food Depot in Palo Alto, CA.

I tried to use some wheat-hull litter a few years ago, and Don Juan started getting me up at 6:00 AM every morning so he could run out and use the yard. (Given some of the other ways he could indicate his dislike of the litter, I think he was awful nice about it. ) I suspect he didn't like it because his feet sank in it.

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

Pet Valu Heavy Duty Clumping Litter.
    Unscented.
    Its Very Good, And A Very Good Deal.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Feline Pine. I adore it!

I use Odor Eaters - its FANTASTIC. But completely wrong for a declawed cat because its very heavy and hard to sift. The best choice for you is a fine grained sandy litter. Arm & Hammer makes the best one. Lots of people also swear by Fresh Step, but its very perfumy.

I use Fresh Step because it forms the best clumps and they don't break when scooping. Unfortunately it's very dusty and is perfumey like catnapper said. If I didn't have a "litterbox room" and had the litter boxes in the main part of the house I probably wouldn't use it because it's so dusty.

I used to use Tidy Cat for when I only had one cat and it was good because it wasn't as dusty but then when I added more cats I found it wasn't too good for multiple cats. The clumps would break easily so as more cats used the box the clumps ended up falling apart and in the bottom causing a mucky layer on the box. Not good - but if I still only had one cat I would probably use it.

From Decker with Love

I've recently switched to the Feline Pine scoopable, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone who doesn't like messes because it tracks really bad. It's so light that it sticks to kitty feetsies really well and usually doesn't fall off until their in the hall, on the bed, on the couch or pretty much anywhere but in the litter box. But I really like it because it isn't perfumey and there is no dust.

By the way, when you find the perfect litter, please let all of us know about it since I think quite a few of us are perpetually searching for the perfect litter.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Don Juan's Mom,

I used to use Premium Scoopable Cat Litter. It's cheap and does the trick. My daughter uses it too.

I now use Feline Pine. It's great and also keeps the urine smell to a minimum. I tried the Feline Pine Scoopable but didn't like it. My cat Mollie Rose, who likes digging to China when she goes, flung the stuff outta the litterbox onto my bathroom floor. I'd prefer the pellets.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I have found an awesome litter!

I just switched my cats from a regular clumping litter, to a clumping litter made from dried, ground, pea pods! It smells like mint, and has superior odor control.

Healthy Pet

They have a variety of other natural litters that I am going to try. I have tried other natural clumping litters, but this is by far the best - and reasonably priced too. Try it - you will love it!

• AMADEUS • AUGUSTUS • SEBASTIAN • THEODORE •

I have in the last month changed to Fresh Step, and I love it! It smells good, and the Urine smell is gone!! Woohoo!! I was using a flushable litter, but it just didnt work all thta great! Fresh Step clumps great! and is very easy to scoop!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

IMO, the "perfect" litter is any one the cat will use, ha ha.

I use Tidy Cats Scoopable. Have for 11 years. Target has it on sale very 6 weeks for 28 cents per pound. With 7 cats, I use a LOT. Haven't had the problem Jazzcat mentioned with the mucky layer, but then I keep it at least 3 inches deep, often more.

When i lived in a napartment ont he 3rd floor, I used SWheat Scoop, it is lfushable and was very convenient in that 3rd floor walk up. but Mr. Amber Cat didn't like it and refused to use any box that didn't have Tidy Cats.

The "perfect" cat litter

I tend to go back and forth from Fresh Step to Arm-n-Hammer Litter.. Arm-n-Hammer has out some new stuff called Premium thats pretty good too.. I tend to get both brands & mix..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by lldaniels21
    What kind of cat litter do you use? I want to find the "perfect" kind when I have to switch Jenna from paper to litter. Her poopie is not as strong anymore..so I am so glad for that!!
    No such thing as "perfect". Everyone has a different idea what perfect is. (Sorry, I have a problem with that word). Anyway, we use a combo of Feline Pine and cheapo, non-clumping clay litter. It works for our cats.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.