Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you call your in-laws?

What do you call your in-laws?

Debbie's thread about grandparent nicknames reminded me that I was thinking of this topic.

My husband's parents are flying down here to attend our wedding reception. They will stay with us for awhile before returning home.

NOW...this is my first time EVER meeting them, and my first time EVER having in-laws. (he he he) In my culture, calling one's 'elders' by their NAME is considered rude, inappropriate, unacceptable...so...I have to think of something 'respectful' yet 'normal' to address them by. I can't think of anything!

I know many people call their in-laws 'mom' and 'dad'...but for me...while I know my husband's parents, in 'relation' are LIKE a mom and dad to me (not exactly, but somewhat), I just can't seem to call ANYONE mom or dad besides my own parents. Is there any other appropriate word to address one's in-laws with? Why is this such a dilema for me? I can't understand.

What do all of you call you in-laws, and just how did you come up with it?

Nothing in particular. I just say hello! When I'm talking about Paul's mother, I usually call her my Mom-in-law. If I call her, I say "Hi, it's Karen!" Never really solved that one, I guess!

You can refer to them, for now, as Mr. Xyz and Mrs. Xyz, and if that bothers them as too formal, the impetus is on them to say, "Oh, dear, you can call me 'whatever their choice' is.

I call mine by their names . . . Debbie & Larry. I have been married for almost 3 years and still can't imagine calling them mom & dad. We're just not that close yet.
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    When I'm talking to in-laws, they are Mom & Dad, if I'm talking to hubby, they are Mom and Dad (you know their last name... just fill it in mentally!) just to clarify which set I'm talking about.
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I was married, and, I called my ex's parents a few different things...depended on the mood and the situation. I did sometimes call them "mom and pop," sometimes called them by their first names, sometimes called them what the grandkids did..."meemaw and pappy." honestly, i would either ask them what they want you to call them, letting them know up front that you're not comfortable calling them "mom and dad," or asking your husband to ask them for you.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I call them by their first names when I talk to them. I call them your mom and dad to Richard and I refer to them as my in-laws to others. Of course sometimes I can come up with some colorful names for my mother in law after having to deal with her criticism and gossiping.

From Decker with Love

Quote Originally Posted by popcornbird
    In my culture, calling one's 'elders' by their NAME is considered rude, inappropriate, unacceptable...so...I have to think of something 'respectful' yet 'normal' to address them by. I can't think of anything!

What do all of you call you in-laws, and just how did you come up with it?
    Why don't you ask your Mother what she called her MIL and what she
    thinks is appropriate to your culture? I called my MIL by her first name,
    and my children called her Nana.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I called my MIL Nan when she was alive since thats what the kids called her. I tried on the word "mom" but it didn't "feel" right.

I call FIL Fav (sounds like Father without the er) since thats also what the kids call him. When he calls and I answer the phone, he always says "Hi Kim this is Mel." Does he want me to call him Mel? I can't bring myself to call him by his real name.

My parent's came from a generation where it was disrespectful to call people older then yourself by their first name. They both grew up with each other, so before being married they were already calling their respective parents by their title and last name, ex. Mr. Gordy.

That's a lil' too formal for being in-laws though, so they bridged the gap, by using only the first letter of the last name, ex. Mr. G. Over time as they all grew closer, they'd use first names and mom and dad, but a lot of times, out of endearment, a Mr. G or Mrs. G would pop out.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

I call my father-in-law by his first name. I have never met my mother-in-law; she is unaware of my exsistance, so never had to deal with that issue!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Jerry & Cindy. When talking to Josh about them, I usually say "your mother/mom, your father/dad". When talking to Aidan about them, I'll say "your grandmother" (can't bring myself to call her what she wants to be called) and Josh's dad is "Pappy" to Aidan.

I call them by their names.... We don't see them too often (maybe once or twice a year) and I don't talk to them on the phone that often either (maybe five times a year) so it's not too often I talk to them.

My husband calls my parents by their names as well

I am very close to Mark's parents, probably closer than my own parents. I was especially close to Mark's Mom, and always called her "Mom". As far as Dad goes, I sometimes call him "Grandpa" too, because well, he seems to ba typical one.

Mom and Dad for my inlaws.
    My FIL has passed away, I refer to him as "Dad" when speaking with hubby or my MIL.

My hubby doesnt talk to my mom that often on the phone.
    He refers to her as "your mom" in conversations between two of us.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Ask them what names they would like you to use.