Thread: pregnant bordeaux

pregnant bordeaux

i have a 22mth old bordeaux she's called savanna,
    well she has just been mated with champs of all champs APOLLO on friday
    so with fingers crossedxxx and paws to xxxxx we should have a nice litter of pups ...
    just would like to know if anyone could give me some advice on feeding my pregnant bitch(sorry baby) so shes nice and healthy in-return pups also

Congrats you sound very excited, and it's great that you want to give your girl the best. She deserves it, she's going through labor for you! hehe.

Of course, I highly recommend feeding your bitch a Raw meat & bones diet to give her nutrition while she's pregnant that will ABSOLUTELY give her puppies the best start in life! Check out the many Raw threads on this board, or this website, http://www.rawlearning.com. Preggy dogs need, from what I understand, 2x the amount of calories, and more while she's nursing. So, she should get at least 5%+ of her body weight while pregnant. You need to get her to your Vet for a check-up, ask them exactly how many calories they recommend as her pregnancy progresses and as she begins nursing.

More importantly, where are the pics of your Bourdeaux girl? I know a few members here have Dogues. Also, has she been shown/exhibited? I truly hope you have gotten all of her health checks... hips/patellas/etc.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

You really should have waited longer before breeding her -- with most breeds 24 months is the minimum, but with giant breeds or large heavy-set breeds like bordeaux, you are supposed to wait even longer because they take so much longer to properly develop. Your problem now remains that her hips are not properly developed and she may not be able to deliver the puppies (meaning she and the puppies may die or she may need an emergency C-section). Bordeaux also take a long time to develop mentally, so having a young dog's mentality while being a mother may be highly stressful for her and she may reject the puppies or have puppy seperation issues. Please keep this in mind for future breeding, and make sure you never breed two heats in a row. She also must not have proper health testing (unless you went with OVC which is really not reliable), which is really important. You want to make sure you are breeding that you are creating the healthiest puppies possible.

Do you have any pictures? What type of sports are you doing with your girl? My dog is having her first litter soon -- we are breeding her next weekend in fact (if we get her OFA results back in time).

I agree that a raw diet would be best to feed. I am keeping Visa on her raw diet while she is pregnant. I am so excited that the puppies will be nice and fat and healthy. Also make sure to avoid liver for the first two weeks, and research good supplements to feed (like alfalfa, seaweed, that sort of thing, not necessarily vitamins).

Good luck with the breeding, I'd get a mentor and learn more about breeding; That's what I'm doing. I have several breeder friends that I talk to and so many people involved in dog sports that help me with Visa's training.
    I've been BOO'd!

PLEASE make sure the puppies go to excellent homes... and please screen the familes... good luck.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

pregnant bordeaux

hi thanks guys for your replies firstly savanna is good and well......
    we took her to get mated and so far so good everything seems ok,i know its adviseable to wait till bordeaux bitches are 2yrs as thats when they are supposed to be mature and all there bones are formed as such but we checked with the kennel club as when she has her first litter she will be 2yrs and they said yeah thats fine....
    anyway we breed her with the best of the best embreze apollo what a magnificent stud dogue he just struted around taking his time while savanna just stood waiting couldnt be any better....
    so we will just wait and see
    can anyone advise me on how to paste pics please ive done a few but they come out small (thumbnail)

If you have them uploaded on Photobucket paste the [IMG] [/I MG] code into a reply, if you have them someplace like Zoto and you dont want thumbnails then you'll have to copy the link location and add [IMG] [/ IMG] tags to the beginning and end of the link .
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Quote Originally Posted by michellej
    can anyone advise me on how to paste pics please ive done a few but they come out small (thumbnail)
    You can also simply place them in your post by using "manage attachments". I like this method even better as they appear as thumbnails and if and when someone wants to see them - they just click on them and whallah - they open to full res on the screen.

It is also easier for folks scrolling through the posts as they scroll doesn't become overwhelmingly large. Try that out... I would like to see a Bordeaux as I not familiar with the breed!

pregnant bordeaux

hi here is some pictures of savanna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bordeaux003.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	28578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bordeaux006.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	28579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bordeaux001.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	28580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P10100453.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	28581  

she is beautiful!

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

pregnant bordeaux

hi everyone
    well savanna got mated 2wks ago now and things look ok (well they did)
    she was putting on weight looking realy well until yesterday ive noticed a greeny discharge comming from her is this normal as ive been told this is when they have just been mated???? shes well in her self and its not loads just the odd few drops any one with any ideas please let me no....
    im just going to give my vets a ring so i will let you know.

how good is a ultrasound scan?

hope anyone out there can help me!!!!!!
    ive just took savanna to the vets for a scan as we mated her 4wks ago and wanted to find out if she was pregnant she was so good just let the vet do his thing anyway he said he couldnt see any pups to bring her back in 10 days
    are the ulrasounds 100% at this stage?? shes a big dogue so would he be able to see? or might they be up in her ribcage?
    we mated her twice we took her to the vets and had a ovulation test done to see when she was most fertile and both times they both tied together so i cant see why she wouldnt be pregnant!!!!!!!
    any advice would be gratefully accepted

If she were pregnant, she would be half way through at this point. The u/s should have picked up puppies. I hope you got a contract on that breeding so you can get your money back.