Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Request for emotional support

This is from a person who has to get up at 6 am to workout every M-W-F. I HATE to exercise, but I can't perform my job properly with the extra weight. I gained a lot of weight due to knee problems a few months ago and what really has me back into the swing of things is that my office started a group exercise program. We meet and do stretches, sit-ups, and pushups together and then we either go to the gym for 20-30 min of cardio or a 2 mile run. It is so much easier when you have someone with you. There have been so many mornings when I just wanted to roll over and hit the snooze button for a little extra sleep, but knowing I have someone waiting on me gets me going. Good plan with the water and the small meals. I still have a hard time eating 3-5 times a day. I used to go all day and then come home and eat dinner with my daughter. I ended up going back for 2nd, sometimes 3rd helpings! I now find eating breakfast (oatmeal) lunch (grilled chicken salad) and snacks (cucumbers, carrots, and celery) during the day, I eat smaller healthier meals at dinner. Keep up the good work and I hope everything works out for you!

Whew! I am sure glad you're fine from the earthquake, Wolflady too! I'm envious that you two wil be able to walk together on friday!

Do you know that after we got home last night from the walk, the "girls" went in the backyard for about 5 minutes, got a drink of water and did whatever dogs do in the backyard, then came straight inside? I fed them when they cooled down (late dinner last night), then they went to sleep and are still in the exact spot I left them in when we turned out Helen's lights last night! LOL! They were pooped!! I think we made them happy! And they've stayed clean (on a Tuesday night too )!!!!

Good luck! Will be rooting for you. I also need to increase my water intake and. How does everyone else get all that water in???

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=deeppink]Where there is a will, there is a way . . . so, WAY TO GO, Amberlee!!! I was a cheerleader in Junior High (never made the squad in HS . . . darn) so I'm here for sis-boom-bah, rah-rah-rah support in your efforts, and hoping all goes smoothly with your surgery!

There is a doctor's column in my daily newspaper, and he always recommends cutting out all refined stuff like flour and sugar foods. Weight Watchers has the right idea . . . slow loss increases the chances of not regaining the pounds. These fad/crash diets may show immediate results, but in the long term they are worthless because for example: nobody can subsist on just grapefruit!

I'm a vegetarian, but do eat some dairy and fish. I either steam or grill a week's worth of veggies on the weekend, and use couscous (takes 5 minutes to prepare) as a bed and vary my sauces. So for dinner each night all I have to do is arrange my veggies with the bed (sometimes it is pasta or rice) usually add some (previously steamed) tofu for protein, and drizzle on a light sauce or salad dressing and put the plate into microwave and presto, dinner is served! Saves me time during the week, since I don't have to actually "cook" any meals.

Surely this menu is boring to most, but I love the convenience, and I make a HUGE array of veggies, so I can switch off and they keep well for the week in containers. Now that summer is here, lots of fresh vegetables are/will soon be available, so I'm in my GLORY!!!

Well, here's to much success, Amberlee . . . YOU CAN DO IT!!!

BTW, did you notice any unusual furkid behavior shortly before the earthquake? I've heard that cats can sense atmospheric changes, and we can be forewarned if we are atune to our kitties . . .
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

I'm here for you too AmberLee. I try to work out four times a week. I do it at home so I have to get myself very motivated before each workout. Even if you just walk 30 minutes a day you will feel better. You just have to get into the routine. The beginning is the hardest. I also want to wish you good luck with your surgery. Just remember that we are all here for you.

Thank you, you guys are all so sweet. {{{hugs all around!}}}

Specific questions/issues:

Sammi

How does everyone else get all that water in???
    I find drinking filtered water much more pleasant than tap, and have a checklist to tick off when I've drunk an 8-oz. serving. I also enjoy a slice of lemon or lime in it. Anybody else have water tips to suggest?

AvaJoy
    did you notice any unusual furkid behavior shortly before the earthquake?
    No, I didn't notice anything unusual. I had dinner (salad!) with a neighbor whose Jack Russell Terrier started reacting about 5 minutes before the quake though, so we are all watching our furkids more closely now, especially Baxter (the JRT who reacted).

KrazyAbout Kats
    so I have to get myself very motivated before each workout.
    Sounds good!! Any specific tips you'd like to share?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Oh how I love this place!! I think it's absolutely wonderful all the support that Pet Talkers give. Just reading these posts is getting me more motivated to eat better and really stick to exercise. I was really good about going steadily 3 times a week all the way up until August, when I went home to see my nephew. Then all this stuff at work kept me from going to the gym. So, I'm really feeling it now!! All these extra pounds really has me down So, hopefully I can just get back into a routine and all will be good. I've done it once, by golly I can do it again!!!

Maybe we should have a weekly Pet Talk weight watchers weigh in!! LOL LOL

Oh, my yes...the earthquake! It's by far the biggest one I've felt since I moved here. It ocurred 2 miles south of where I live 4 miles underground. It registered a 5.2. Like AmberLee said, it lasted long enough to get me to feeling nervous. I had just finished watching my TV show (OK, I admit it...I am a WB addict, and we just finished watching Angel). I was getting ready to go up to my parent's house when it hit. So, it was around 10pm. Everything was shaking back and forth and I heard stuff crashing upstairs! Talk about feeling helpless!! Back in the midwest, we had tornado drills and all of that...but I have no idea how to react in an actual earthquake! It lasted for 12 seconds, but it felt much longer than that! Marius went and hid in under the bed and wouldn't come out. Scooter...who knows...he always looks shocked anyway! LOL LOL
    This earthquake was strong enough for the cities much farther north of us to feel it! Like Amberlee and a lot of my other friends in the San Jose, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara areas. It's funny, because about 2-3 weeks ago, we had a minor earthquake down in Gilroy, registering about a 3.0. The weird thing about it, is it was just one big boom...like a cannon and that was all! Who knew that earthquakes make noise. Talk about all-powerful! But, everyone is ok There were only a few minor things that fell and broke.

Wolflady,

I spoke with Dan (Dave? Don? "short D name guy" anyway) at your gym and with various specials currently going the most cost-effective solution is a 6-month membership. I'm visiting free this coming Monday to try the yoga class. I think we are going to be gym-mates soon. [Who'd've thought it?? ]

I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

That's awsome, AmberLee!!! I may just have to stay an extra hour next monday to attend the yoga class with you after my step class!
    It will be so much better to go with a friend! See you tomorrow!

Water? I live on Fruit-2-O! It's just fruit flavored sweet - but not saccarine, or Nutrasweet, another kind of non-caloric sweetener - water. It's not carbonated, and I drink it all day, pretty much! So much better than regular water, which I never drink unless there's nothing else!

Is it available elsewhere, or just New England? Made by Veryfine, which is a Massachusetts company, so ...

Originally posted by Karen
    ...I live on Fruit-2-O! ...

Karen, I haven't hear of this product. Sounds interesting. Is it in the soda area of your grocery or fruit juice area?

Did you say it is no calorie?

Fruit 2 O ~ web site...

We gotta ask Dad ta put sum in our water bowls

The Fruit 2 O and Fruit 2 O Plus drinks are bottled by
    Veryfine Products; Littleton, MA.

Toll free number = 1-800-VERYFINE (1-800-837-9346)

Web Site =

http://www.veryfine.com/products.html
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Thanks

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
    ...The Fruit 2 O and Fruit 2 O Plus drinks are bottled by Veryfine Products; Littleton, MA....
    Thanks!

(It IS no calorie -- can't determine if it's sold in California though. That portion of the site is giving error messages. I'll try tomorrow.)

Cinder, Smoke -- what flavors do you fur-kids like? Citus? Berry? I don't think it comes in meat flavors...

AmberLee this thread has been really interesting for me. I have a neighbor who I hadn't seen in over a year. She lives down the street and we each are involved in so many different things that we had gotten out of touch. I saw her daughter in the mall and she told me her mom had lost 100 lbs. on Weight Watchers. Well last week I saw her in person. I swear if it wasn't the fact that her voice was coming out of this NEW body I wouldn't have believed it was her. If I ever do a weight loss program it will be Weight Watchers. She is now on "maintenance" which she said is actually harder. Great idea for a thread!! I have been walking Bella around the neighborhood lately and your post has inspired me to keep at it!

Wolflady,
    Sorry Off topic, but I noticed you mentioned
    a few cities in CA near the quake.My son(Purdue
    Grad) just accepted a job transfer from Dallas
    to Sunnyvale, Ca. He'll be moving in a few mos.
    Please tell me quakes are not the norm for that
    area.Hoosiers are accustomed to tornado warnings
    and floods, but earthquakes are VERY scary...