Thread: Puppy problem!!! help

Puppy problem!!! help

I know these two little girls they are like cousins to me. They are 5 and 7. They got a maltese puppy not to long ago for christmas. At first they loved him to death. They took great care of him he was adorable. They gave him baths a lot to keep him from getting to smelly but they took good care of him. They got his shots and he was neutered as soon as they got him. Now he is getting kind of old and boring to them. He isn't even a year and already they are tired of him. He is very hyper and cute and loves to play. He begs for attention but they say he is to hyper to play with. Then they bug the poor thing to death! They love him but all they want to do is hold him all the time. Yet they don't want to play with him. How can I help them understand that he is not a toy? That they can't just dump him? They are slightly spoiled and have a bunch of toys! That they normally play with for a while and then just put away and don't play with again. There parents tell them to play with him but they don't. I am going to see them tomorrow I think. They take him with them everywhere. Any advice would be much appreciated.

5 and 7 is way to young to be given responsibility for a puppy, getting tired of toys and new things is normal at that age. It is their parents responsiblity to make sure the puppy is cared for properly.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    5 and 7 is way to young to be given responsibility for a puppy, getting tired of toys and new things is normal at that age. It is their parents responsiblity to make sure the puppy is cared for properly.
    I thought so too. I was having trouble getting them to leave snuggles alone. Do you think there is anything I can do to sort of help them understand or will they just learn themselves? I would like to help them learn about dogs and caring for them. They love school and learning.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    It's the parent's responsibility to take care of and give attention to the dog. Not the children's. They should take the kids on walks with the dog, maybe get them to help scoop the dog's food out or something, but, as caseysmom pointed out already, it's ridiculous to think that those two children are going to be able to properly care for a dog and give it the appropriate attention. The only way I can see that you could really help out is to ask the parents if you could take the dog for a walk with the children. I don't know, but, it sounds like the parents made the mistake of getting a dog for the kids.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

okay thanks! We might be outside when I see them so maybe we could just go for a walk together. the parents help out and take on a lot of the responsibility. That is good. They make sure the kids get a hand in helping care for the dog. they help with baths and taking the dog outside to potty and feeding and watering. that sort of thing

Interesting post...I just brought Fenway to dog obedience class last night and they had flyers about a dog class stictly for children. I thought this was a great idea. Sounds like these kids need a class like that (to show them how to properly handle a dog and how a dog is not a toy).

Also there was a mother, father & little girl in Fenway's class. They had a pug and this little girl kept pulling the dog all over the place and trying to pick it up. I thought that kid's in the wrong class....she should be in the kids & dog class.

Anyhow, good luck.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    Interesting post...I just brought Fenway to dog obedience class last night and they had flyers about a dog class stictly for children. I thought this was a great idea. Sounds like these kids need a class like that (to show them how to properly handle a dog and how a dog is not a toy).

Also there was a mother, father & little girl in Fenway's class. They had a pug and this little girl kept pulling the dog all over the place and trying to pick it up. I thought that kid's in the wrong class....she should be in the kids & dog class.

Anyhow, good luck.
    what petstore or place was that??? I would love to recommend it to them!!!! It would really help. They have trouble holding the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by shihtzulover850
    what petstore or place was that??? I would love to recommend it to them!!!! It would really help. They have trouble holding the dog.
    Oh sorry. This was a local kennel in Amherst NH called American K9 Country (www.americank9country.com). I picked up a flyer for a co-worker and this is what it says:

Students will be taught how to properly handle their pet in training & in play, basic dog training commands (sit, stay, come, down), trick training, how to read dog postures and intro to dog agility.

Perhaps you can call a local dog shelter and ask if they know of anyplace that has classes like that? Sorry I forgot to mention it was local.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

oh no it is okay. but thanks for the idea! They haven't done much training on him I might recommend them taking classes at petsmart.