Thread: Bald Tummy???? UPDATE

Bald Tummy???? UPDATE

It's Oscar.

He is happy and bouncy and as sucky as ever, loving his new food, playful and all.

I noticed that his tummy - where they can develop a "pouch", lower down - was kind of bald to pat...no fluffy fur, but he is a DSH. Anyway, the area is white and very finely fuzzy.

Today I noticed that the insides of his back legs were also fuzzy rather than really furry. But still furrier than his lower tummy. Hm.

Do other cats have these spots? He was like this long before I changed his food, on the tummy anyway.

NO sores, nothing. Just the happy beautiful boy he always has been!

Thanks for any input.

Catty1
    Last edited by Catty1; 06-12-2006 at 06:45 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hi - I am re-registered from when I used to be Beauty17. (Fifty five is the year I was born, not how old I am - yet.) We had a calico who developed a completely bald belly from about the mid-point of her underside down to her back legs. As you describe, there were no sores or even redness, just a pink bald belly. Our vet told us she suspected allergies. On the other hand, we had a dilute tortie at the same time who started licking bald spots on her front legs and tail just after our son was born, and that was stress. Once she developed that habit, she never stopped it, though it got better. Because of how it made her look, we called her behavior "poodling." But if you haven't notice excessive licking, and if there have not been added stressors in his life, I would guess your cat's problem is allergy. We never knew what Tzigane was allergic to.

My very 'fluffy' male cat developed thin/bald spots on his inner thighs and tummy also. Turned out to be a UTI, although he showed no other symptoms. I'd have him checked, just to be sure.

Thanks! I'll give my vets a call and see about taking Oscar in.

Thanks everyone.

Catty1

Well, Oscar had his checkup this morning.

UTI and some crystals...both he and Cole are now on Royal Canin SO urinary food, and Oscar has antibiotics.

My vet also thought that the bare skin was due to stress...the only big change was bringing Cole into the household last October...but it's only the last several months that I have noticed the bare tummy.

I am hoping that the stress of being unwell - you'd never know it by his behavioue and appetite, so maybe he has been ill for a while - caused the stress licking.

Otherwise the vet says Valium. ERRGH

I know Oscar was feral - but I still feel like a bad mom if he is going to need trannies! I feel so bad for him!

Vet also recommended reverse osmosis water. I'd need a kit, as I can't haul huge bottles up the stairs...and delivery will just leave them in the hallway, since I work.

Any thoughts or experiences with ANY of this?

thanks
    Catty1

Catty1

We had a reverse osmosis system at our last house. It was no trouble after it was installed. Just had to change the filter on schedule. It was not cheap, but unfortunately a requirement for our well water.

If the water is only for the cats, you could probably buy Aquafina and bring it upstairs yourself. Aquafina has been through reverse osmosis and you can get it in liter bottles in many stores.

Have you thought of Rescue Remedy to help alleviate the stress?

Good luck.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good