Thread: Vets advice on gerbils!

Vets advice on gerbils!

I called my normal vet who is supposed to be one of the four (out of 56) in this town who is knowledgeable and works on them. I guess she doesn't because I was recommended to another vet (who happens to be closer, as well). She asked if they were using any sort of shavings or scented bedding as that can cause a problem and I said no they use Carefresh. She asked if the habitat was clean, I said yes, she asked if they were biting themselves or each other and I told her that I think they're biting themselves. She asked if they were bleeding a whole lot and I said no. I also remembered to tell her that they are acting, eating, and drinking normal. They sleep, romp, and the general whatnot. The conversation went on for a few minutes with her ultimately telling me to just put a dab of Neosporin on their tails and if they start bleeding profusely then to bring them in as they might have a mite. She also told me I might want to start handling them more. So, we shall see what happens!

Good luck with your gerbils, hopefully they'll get better soon!
    Its so hard to find a rodent vet around here. Our dog/cat vet is only 15 minutes away, while our rodent vet is over an hour away. Ah well, the drive is worth it^^!