Thread: HELP! I am so frustrated

HELP! I am so frustrated

I give up! I'm so frustrated and dont know if there is anything I can do. I have 2 beautiful jack russell and rat terrier mix dogs. They are sisters and are 1 and 1/2 years old. The problem is one of them, Princess, (not a fitting name right now) has always had a problem with soiling her and Annies box. When I crated them she messed in the box, ( I think Annie did too). When I am gone to work during the day we put them in a pen outside. Trust me I tried leaving them in the house but they chewed up the legs to my dining room table. So we built this nice, big pen laid bricks and covered it with a tarp. They have a big dog house in it to rest in and Princess STILL pees and poops in it. I get frustrated with her when she messes but do not spank or yell at her. I always praise when she goes outside...am I hopeless...a rotten mom?

How many consecutive hours do they stay in the pen or crate? During the day, probably about 5 hours is the most you can hope a dog can consistently "hold it." You may need to come home at lunch time to let them out for a break.

Do you exercise them and/or make them relieve themselves prior to being put in the crate or pen? Jack Russells are energetic dogs--maybe they need to have more of a chance to burn off some energy before they will settle down?

Do you feed one big meal in the a.m. only, or do you feed two smaller meals a.m. and p.m.? I know people who have fed only the one big morning meal, and their dogs can't last too long without having to go. Try feeding a smaller meal in the a.m. before work, maybe.

Do they have stuff to occupy themselves in their crate or pen? If they're bored, they'll be bad little pups! A Kong stuffed with their breakfast may be just the thing to keep them busy--lots of crate problems are solved by stuffing Kongs in imaginative ways!

Good luck! Hope this helps.

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

Sorry I'm so slow to respond to your questions. First of all thank you for your concern and suggestions. I think the "Kong" is a great idea, where do I get a couple? The kennel I keep them in is outside and it's about 10 ft by 7 ft. We bricked off an area for playing and left gravel/dirt area for pottying (which they use most of the time). It is covered with a tarp and has the dog house for shelter and sleeping. Is this inappropriate to leave them in for 7-8 hours. Where do other people keep their pets while they are at work, (and unable to come home for lunches)?? I hope this doesn't seem bad or inhumane....I try everything to keep them comfortable, they sleep with 10 year old son every night, (under the covers of course)

I hope you wont be mad for long

(I'm not sure what the last post is about. )

daurdiem--

It sounds like an okay setup you have, although maybe a little small for two dogs to share. I think a couple of Kongs would help stimulate them both mentally, as it sounds like they can't really run around much. Try searching under "kong" at www.petsmart.com or www.petco.com, or most "real" stores carry them too. They're red or black rubber, shaped kind of like rounded triangles, with a big hollow hole in the middle. Stuff foods in there and the dogs will spend a long time trying to figure out how to get the goodies! If you do an internet search on "kong stuffing" or "kong recipes" you'll get lots of good ideas for more advanced ways to put foods into them. It's fun for you AND the dogs!

I have a question about the dogs when they sleep inside the house with you at night: are they totally housebroken and trustworthy not to ruin anything? If so, maybe they are "acting up" when they mess the doghouse--trying to tell you they're irritated, bored, lonely? Then in the evenings when people are home, they're well-behaved because they're "busy" with the family. Perhaps more quality time with them would help the behavior--a walk with you in the morning before work, playing with toys together, etc.

Good luck!

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

Thank you for all the great advice! I have the summer off, (I teach), so I plan to spend a lot more quality time with my babies. I think daily walks will benefit them and I know that I sure could use the exercise! How? that is another issue I will tackle. Ever see a person try to walk 2 jack russells at one time...LOL..the visions I have are hysterical..I wont have any arms left.
    I want to say again that I love visiting this board, everyone is so friendly, full of great advice and FUN!

Is the dog neutered/spayed? A friend of mine had that problem and the vet said that the pee-pee "accidents" would stop once her dog was neutered. The dog stopped right after the surgery. It seemed to work for them.