Thread: How to keep your cat in the yard

How to keep your cat in the yard

http://www.backyardcat.com/product.html

This product is being offered on the Cat of the Day site today.

I was just curious what other cat owners thought of it and if you thought it would work.

I would love to find a way to allow Rascal to go outside but keep him
    in the yard.

1. It takes the recreation out of jumping. I would be afraid that kitty would associate jumping with whatever negative affects this has on kitty. Therefore, kitty may never more jump on the bed, the couch, etc. Don't really like that idea.

2. but when she attempts to jump the weight will disturb her balance...this disturbs me alot.

3. Backyard fence should be privacy fence style. Backyard must have no holes in the fence.Well, duh!!! Isn't that a given??? I was going to comment "what is to stop kitty from walking over to the neighbour's place?"

On the upside, dragging a weight around might reduce Rascal's **ahem** fluffiness ???? I think that can be the only benefit.

Sorry. Just my opinion.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Gini,

I don't own kitties, as you know, but I must admit that Miss Meow's purchase and setup of her kitty snactuary in the backyard looks mighty impressive!!!

The Pink Kitchen - Kitty Litter
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Id rather stick with the harnus and long leash thats connected to my clothsline.That seems to be working fantastic for Felix,he is happy to enjoy the backyard with this teqnique

Felix's Catster Page- http://www.catster.com/?150963

Felix's Website Page- http://www.felinefelix.piczo.com

Beer's Dogster Page- http://www.dogster.com/?168340

After watching the video I can think of nothing so much as Igor....dragging around with a ball and chain on his neck! (Notice I have refined my vision.... )

On the other hand....I have found the harness serves much the same purpose...."keeping them that teensy bit off balance until it becomes habit"

Might be worth a try

I Truly Cannot See The Found Cats Liking At All Dragging That Around With Them At All.
    I Agree With Sarahs Ball And Chain Anology.
    That Just Looks Like Something That The Cats Would Hate.
    What If A Dog Got Into Your Yard, Your Cat Would Be An Easy Target.
    No Thanks.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks for your thoughts. It does seem rather an unnatural item to use on a cat. Rascal, Annie and Emma sit at my back door looking so sad, as though I have them in a prison. As all three were originally feral, to be outdoors is natural for them. But short of building a huge run or screened in area for them, I have been trying to find a solution that would make them happy and keep them safe.

Oh my, I can just imagine Nakita having this around her neck. Since she's so small I don't think she would have the strength to lift her head. She'd look really peculiar! She would look like she is permanently mooning the world.

I say stick with the leash and harness. All cats should be supervised when they are outdoors, whether they are enclosed or not. You never know when one may get stung by an insect or something else happens.

This is another option I came across awhile back:

Purrfect Fence

This one is based out of Toronto, but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere (beware...expensive!).

The Cat's Den
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

I have a wroght iron fence so the kitties can walk right through anyway. No privacy fence. I did have a chain link and my last kitty never left the yard. I would tell him to stop when he started to jump the fence and he was so smart he got the idea never to jump over the fence.

I could leave him out in the yard by himself for hours at a time and he would sleep in the bushes and go around the yard getting the smells of everything. Never a problem unless the gate was left open then he would walk out and I had to go find him. That didn't happen much.

Now my two kitties go out but I am supervising them at all times to stay in the yard. If they look like they are about to walk through the fence I go get them fast and bring them back to the patio.

I was surprised seeing the kitties so CALM with those things hanging from their necks. Orion freaks out if I leave a leash dangling for too long.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits