Thread: He won't drink anything.

He won't drink anything.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get fluids down Bailey? I don't have a car now so I have no way of getting anything that I don't already have. Only things I have that have water is applesauce.. but I don't know if that'd work or not. I've tried every way I can think of to get him to take some water but he wants nothing to do with it. I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow afternoon but he needs the water now. Any ideas?

Vet!!
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Chicken broth, any kind of soup he might lap up, add a bit of meat or his regular kibble to his water..

How long has he gone without drinking? Why isn't he drinking? Is he vomitting, got the runs? He's a small dog and dehydration can be fatal, even to a big dog, very quickly.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

he's been drinking like idk maybe a 1/4 of a cup every now and then but usually he'll drink his entire bowl of water before even caring that I gave him food. He's eating fairly well.. he still has the diarrhea. I want to take him in today except that 1.) they're closed and 2.) i can't drive yet and no one's here to take me. I'll try the soup thing but I don't have any plain broth. I have tomato soup and chicken noodle.. I could strain the chicken noodle so it's just the broth but how long should I heat it for? I also have milk but idk how that'd do on his stomach. He's not vomitting at all.. it's been a about 2 days or so that he hasn't been feeling well but he just stopped drinking as of last night. I'm not sure why he won't. Like I said he's had diarrhea for a couple days but idk if there's anything else besides that or not..

case of food poisoning

Is there any blood in the diarhea? It could be a simple case of "food poisoning". Let the dog go outside and eat some grass. Don't force it to. It will know what type of grass to eat. They usually like the broad leaf kind if you have anything like that. Usually around a weedy area. Grass will soothe it's belly and give some water. You may try a bit of pepto bismal but only a small amount like a teaspoonfull or a tad less depending on it's size. That may also soothe the stomach.
    Question, are you running the air conditioning or is it "cool" in the house? The dog may not need as much water if it isn't that warm. However, I do question why the dog had drank soo much previously before eating. Water should be made available at ALL times. Not just at feedings. Maybe add some water to it's food. My cat loves that but the food does get too soggy to eat after awhile.
    Try giving the dog some "Ice cube" too. That may help as well. Good luck and take it to the vet soon.
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

water is available to him at all times lol i'm saying when it gets to be empty and i refill it he usually drank the whole bowl.. small bowl.. it's a children's cereal bowl..but still the whole thing lol. his stomach seems to be doing a little better he just wont drink.

I think it is important that you get him to drink otherwise he will de-hydrate, i would use a syringe that always works with my cats, but for a dog you would probably need a bigger one, but that way you can force them to drink, good luck and i hope your wee doggie gets better soon.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Do you have gatorade or pedilyte? That is best for re-hydrating. I also add water to Fozzie's kibble, it softens the food and gives him more water because he's always on the go!

Did you feed the chicken & rice for his upset tummy? Chicken and rice both contains lots of moisture.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Oh I hope he gets better!!! {{{prayers}}}