Thread: Help! Baby Robin Birds!!

Help! Baby Robin Birds!!

Hi everyone! This is an emergency!
    My friend found 2 baby robins that fell from a tree they are very young and the mother is gone, we waited a wile the mother never came for the babies, I think they are planning to send the birds to the humane society but I need help for her NOW! One baby is kind of the ''runt'', I am not too familaur with birds(sorry!) Please if anyone can give adive on the care for the birdies at the moment anything will help!!! THANKS~!!!!

Right now you realy need to keep them warm and dont feed them anything with out giving them some water first do that by using an eye droper and gently putting into there mouths until you see them gulp some but dont over flow the mouth it could kill them.

For food well usaly baby birds eat a formula but robins eat worms I have fed some worms to baby robins before but i grinded them up kinda goss but it works so try to find some garden worms or buy some but make shur you push it down the throat prob with the tip of your finger and do it slow make shur you dont open the beak too wide either at this age they can break easly.Dont forget to squish those worms.

Are you shur the parents are not around ?they should have been left outside for atleast 3 hours because parent birds usaly stay away from there babys as much as possible to avoid preditors.

Ill try to find if they can eat anything else.

Robins, Starlings and other insectivores: tinned cat or dog food, preferably beef for robins; small pieces of earthworm can also be offered on the end of a toothpick also earthworms, mealworms, bits of strawberry, blueberry, cherry, raspberry, and other fruits, and hand-feeding mixtures available at pet shops for hand-rearing baby parrots.

So it seems worms(Meal worms can be sold at pet stores) and some berries are a good option but make shur you dehidrate the birds first and dont over fill the robins crop.

Here's a link to finding a robin.
    http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/robin/FAQBabies.html
    Last edited by Argranade; 05-19-2006 at 08:06 PM.

Are you sure they are too young? Usually they come out of the nest a day or two before learning to fly and the parents take care of them on the ground. The parents seem to be able to find them after being away an hour even if the babies have hopped to a new place.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Oh yes do they have any feathers on? if so those fledglings where probably just trying to learn how to fly as Rescue said and they should have been left alone also if you can reach the nest you can put them back in robins dont go by smell they go by sight they'll take there babys back but if you can't reach it or the parents are for shur not around just follow everything I told you.

They dont have any feathers as far as I know, I havent seen them yet, I dont think the nest is even there anymore, at least I THINK so, I dont have all the info on them yet but, I will ask her soon , they are in a samll box and she checked on the temp so they are monitoring temp. I think they are feeding worms at the moment, I will tell her the info asap! Thanks

I reaised two baby robins.. They had fallen out of a tree as well.. The mother and father were still around but they had 5 babies and a really small nest.. We put the fatherless babies in a large mixing bown lined with a hand towel and shredded paper towel.. then we dug up worms and cut them in half if they were really big, and fed them with tweezers... They lived off of just earth worms.. we had a head lamp over them.. and then they eventually grew their feathers in, and we set them back into their tree, and their parents came along and took over.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven