Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appalachian Family Fights to Keep Pet Lion

Appalachian Family Fights to Keep Pet Lion

MELVIN, Ky. - To the Collins family, the 400-plus pound beast with a thick mane and daunting eyes that paces in its 300-square-foot chain-link cage is "Kitty," their beloved pet lion.

To others in this small Appalachian town, Kitty is a frightening menace. And they want county officials to ban animals deemed "inherently dangerous" by the state.

If the county ordinance passes Friday, Kitty will no longer be allowed to stay in this rural neighborhood, where homes are separated by just a few yards.

"I think it needs to be in a different environment," said Pauline Hall, who lives three houses from the Collins family. "Everybody here keeps their guns loaded."

Barry Collins bought Kitty three years ago, when it was a 5-pound cub at a flea market. He said he got a state permit to bring the lion into Kentucky and a license to keep it in Floyd County.

The Collinses said all their pet purchases were a way to save the animals from harm or abuse.

"If I can save one I will," said, Collins' wife, Melissa.

The Collinses said they were caught by surprise when the ordinance was proposed, and will appeal a ban if approved. They said they've heard a handful of complaints since they brought the lion home, but nothing serious.

"He's not bothering nobody," Barry Collins said.

When asked whether Kitty is inherently dangerous, he said any pet can behave unpredictably and that he doesn't feel the lion is a threat to his boys, ages 5 and 1, or 3-year-old daughter.

A state regulation that prohibits transporting animals the state has labeled inherently dangerous, such as vipers and lions, can't help neighbors who want Kitty booted.

The Collinses, who owned dangerous animals before the rule went into effect in July, are allowed to keep them, said Laura Patton, a state wildlife biologist. Bringing in more dangerous animals or breeding the ones they already have is still against the rules.

No state law deals specifically with ownership of exotic wildlife, she said.

The only way to kick Kitty out is with a county ordinance, said county attorney Keith Bartley.

"I'm sure it is a big pet to the owners," Bartley said, "but the one time something goes wrong with a cat that size, someone's going to be really hurt or dead."

Barry Collins said he may put up a privacy fence that would give Kitty more space to roam if the county ordinance fails. Bartley said he's working with a local veterinarian to find a zoo or a wildlife sanctuary where the lion could be placed.

"If they love that lion, I don't believe they'd want it to live its entire life in a dog cage on a concrete pad," Bartley said.

-----
    Yahoo! News
    -----
    The emphasis on the last paragraph is mine; I completely agree with it. A concrete dog cage is no place for a lion. While it's wonderful that they saved its life (As a Kentucky girl myself, I believe them when they said they bought it at a flea market ) they need to do the right thing by the lion and let it live in a place more suitable like a zoo or a big cat sancuary.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

I don't think that they should keep the lion, they are not domestic pets but large animals which need to be in a large space and live a natural life. I think he would be much more at home at a good safari or conservation park.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Oh honestly, people these days. Put the lion where it belongs and get a dog. In Wisconsin we can buy pet penguins now, ridiculous.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    In Wisconsin we can buy pet penguins now, ridiculous.

What's next, alligators?

Zimbabwe 07/13

god almighty!! that poor thing need to be in a large cat sanctuary!! what are they thinking?? if they wanted to help th epoor animal, why didnt they just call someone about it??? sounds t me they just liked the idea of owning one themselves!!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Poor "Kitty". What a sad life.

I wish they would do a lot more to regulate the exotic animal trade. Esp for reptiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z

What's next, alligators?
    Actually, I am pretty sure you can buy them somewhere down here in Louisiana already.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie
    Poor "Kitty". What a sad life.

I wish they would do a lot more to regulate the exotic animal trade. Esp for reptiles.
    Meaning what? Regulating venomous reptile? Alligators?

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z

What's next, alligators?
    When I was in the Wisc. Dells there is a store that sells alligators. Some people may think when they are only 6 inches long they could be a cute, fun pet. I'm sure not every thinks that when they suddenly grow to 4 feet long.

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    Meaning what? Regulating venomous reptile? Alligators?
    Most of the snakes and lizards I have seen in the average persons care are in extremely poor health. Most people who buy large snakes or other reptile seem to enjoy having them, but do little for the care. It has almost got to the point where I would like to see private ownership of exotic animals banned.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissycat21
    When I was in the Wisc. Dells there is a store that sells alligators. Some people may think when they are only 6 inches long they could be a cute, fun pet. I'm sure not every thinks that when they suddenly grow to 4 feet long.

Zimbabwe 07/13

I wouldn't nesscarily want "Kitty" out for saftey reasons, but, for his sake. It's not fair to keep an animal like that in a cage. I hope he gets a better home.

What???
    Ok they have outlawed Quaker Parrots in some states but lions get to be keep.What is wrong with people
    Next thing you know people will be walking down the street with a elephant
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Quote Originally Posted by jackie
    It has almost got to the point where I would like to see private ownership of exotic animals banned.

ALMOST ? It's way past time that the USDA have laws to ban private
    ownership of non domesticated animals. Exotic cats definatly.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm all for him keeping Kitty, IF and ONLY IF he builds a suitable and safe enclosure similar in quality to a good zoo. Then I think he would be doing everyone a favor be letting Kitty live happily as he deserves without adding yet another big cat to our already overflowing rescues and zoos.
    Come on, on a CHAIN!?!

Niņo & Eliza