Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today I have to put my best friend to sleep...

L.A., I am so sorry for your loss. It's only natural to want to be selfish and keep our loved ones with us, but I know from experience that it takes a loving heart to let them go when they're suffering. My thoughts are with you.

Of course he wil forgive you. I asked myself the same question last September. Seeing my Gigio during his last couple of days made me think that I would be grateful to anyone who would do the same to me if I ever will be in the same state he was in.

The pain will be less harsh eventually. You will miss him, but the pain will turn into a nostalgic feeling and you will be able to think of him without thinking that your heart is going to tear any minute and you will be able to smile remembering all those precious moments you shared with him. This is what happened to me with all the pets who are no longer here with me.

Hug the others they are bewildered too.

Smudgie was a very beautiful cat.

I'm crying my eyes out right now, not only is this extremely sad but it also reminds me of my Titti. She had to be put to sleep because her kidneys stopped working, and I wasn't even there with her and God...

I'm so sorry.

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

I'm sorry to have made everyone cry...

... Shuby and Sassy are still oblivious and playing...

... Ashes is now going into every room and meowing, then coming in and meowing at me... I just wish he'd stop staring at me, it makes me uncomfortable...

Last night my husband came home and we had another cry.. We brought Smudgie's picture into the bedroom, and we both hugged it... Then Kevin left for a smoke (i'm allergic to smoke, and so was Smudgie, so Kevin smokes outside..) and Sassy (my ginger tabby) came up on the bed, and I told her the story of how I found Smudgie.. I was able to do it without crying, so I think I can do it here...

I've lived in this hi-rise apartment since I was 6 months old, I am now 33.. I moved out of my parents apartment on the 4th floor up to the 7th floor with my boyfriend (now hubby)..

Running down the stairs to see my Mum before I left for work, I heard this little meow and I looked down just as I was about to step on this little guy.. He was SO TINY... he had a flea collar that was too big (and obviously NOT working as he was covered with fleas) and his belly was SO fat (I've had cats all my life, so I concluded worms..) He was SO sweet... So I picked him up and took him to my Mum's house, and asked her if she could find someone to house him until I came home from work.. She did, a gentleman on the 7th floor... So I came home from work and posted a sign about the found cat.. NO ONE answered it, so I made plans...

Then I had to figure out how to tell my husband, as he wasn't too fond of cats at this time... (boy, did THAT ever change..) so I made him his favourite pasta dinner and got a nice bottle of wine... I told him about the cat, and he relented... After dinner Kevin's sister called and I left to get the cat... I came back in, Kevin took one look, he dropped the phone (left Tracey hanging) and said, 'Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!'.. Right then, I knew we were keeping him...

He was purring VERY loudly.. because of this and his face, we decided to call him Sir Evinrude Smudge, with Smudgie for short. I took him to the vet, who said he was about 5 weeks old. I almost died..

After getting him dewormed (we went through SO much cat food, it was like the feeding of the 5000 for him..), he was SO loving... and so mischievious.. We came home once to find him stuck to the screen door, we had no idea how long he'd been there!

He accepted every other housecat we had with love, never fought.. He always had kisses, he knew when you were upset...

We bred guinea pigs for some time as well.. I'd put the cage part on the floor, and wash the base.. while it was drying, my Dad asked me to go out with him, and I completely forget about the piggies on the floor with the top part of the cage open.. I remembered as we drove in the driveway coming home.. I raced upstairs, opened the door, ran into the piggy room.. and there, in the cage, was Smudgie fast asleep, with the piggies snuggled up to him and sleeping as well... That is the memory I hold closest to me..

Rest in Peace, My #1 boy. Mummy loves you. ((single tear falls))

At least now I am not scared of death. I now have something to look forward to.

Cat photos all together......

The little picture on the left of the photo is Mandy girl. The picture was taken just moments before she was taken to be put down - in Feb. 01. It broke my heart. I cried for days before and days after. She had cancer of the tongue. Miley girl is a current cat and is the cat on the cat condo, playing below pictures of my current and past cats. It is my shrine to all my kitties. I have a picture of myself plastered in between all the cat photos.

I find this to be quite soothly to see them/us all together, since they are all still in my heart and will always be so.

I hope as each day passes, you will be able to understand your sad sad day to be one that we all must go through with our pets and our humans! It is part of the cycle, however sad - and it is, for sure.

Be strong! We will all be thinking of you and all those who must endure events like this.

That is such a beautiful story L-A. The part with the guinea pigs was hearwarming...

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

What a sweet story L_A. I can just picture Smudgie in the case the the piggies, it's one of those magic moments.

Yes, very heartwarming, your Smudgie had such a sweet personality - and please don't feel sorry that you made us cry!

Kirsten

Now either Ash or Shuby has bloody stool...

((sigh))...

I can't handle another death and I can't afford the vet...

God, I hope so...

I don't think I could handle it... My life is on stand-still as it is for now...

My husband's cousin breeds Golden Retrievers, and we'll be getting a puppy around Christmas time to fill the void.. Hopefully that will be enough time to grieve...

Re: God, I hope so...

Originally posted by L-A.
    I don't think I could handle it... My life is on stand-still as it is for now...

My husband's cousin breeds Golden Retrievers, and we'll be getting a puppy around Christmas time to fill the void.. Hopefully that will be enough time to grieve...
    Music to this Golden Lover's ears!!! What a wonderful dog you will be getting!!!

It will get better, I promise. The sadness never totally goes away, but it softens after a while.

Dear L.A. - I do hope Shuby and Sassy are going to be OK. As Chuck said - they might be grieving too. Hope everything's going to be fine.
    Your lovely story of how Smudgie came into your life was heartwarming and yes, I did shed a tear or two. But hey thats what it's all about - saying Goodbye properly to a much loved furbaby. He must have been a complete joy for you and your hubby - weren't you lucky to have had such a beautiful cat? I think you were.

Lynne

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I sure hope that your other cats will be okay. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Last night was a little easier...

Kevin (hubby) and I reminisced about when I was cleaning the guinea pigs, and I just turned my back for one second... The wire top part of the cage wasn't on, put the piggy was in the cage, Smudgie jumped up, tilted the cage, Zamboni was airborne and landed right on the bag of shavings... We almost peed ourselves laughing..

I read my book last night with Smudgie's picture beside me.. I kissed the picture goodnight before I turned out the light.. It is getting easier..

Well, I'm off for a poo hunt...

((love to all))

L-A.

Love and Cuddles {{{{xx}}}} coming right back L.A.

Lynne