Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent!!! Sick Kittens....need Advice

Urgent!!! Sick Kittens....need Advice

I am caring for 6 abanded kittens approximately 2 weeks old now. they have been doing great up untill today. they are eating less than half of what they usually do and not nearly as active as past 2 weeks. Also, when I try to feed them, they "attack" the bottle like they are starving but only suckly a moment and then pull away. their bellies are sunken, I guess from not eating. they have really bad diarrhea and in the past 2 hours, it is starting to be tinged with blood. they used to perk up and get excited when I would just reach my hand in their box and now they barely lift their little heads up. I have called the vet twice and gotten the run a round and am calling a different one in the morning. at first I suspected Feline Distemper but am now considering coccidia. I have looked up info on both and found that coccidia shows up 13 days after exposure and today is day 13 that I have had them. I have 2 cats of my own, but they have made no contact with the kittens. the info also said they can get it from nursing on an infected mother........possibly got it from their mom the day before I got them??? I really don't want it to be distemper as that does not have a high survival rate. Anyone ever had a similar situation? any help, advice, or suggestions?
    I am so afraid of getting up with them and finding that one (or more) have passed. I am feeding them frequently to combat being dehydrated.

Please, please take them to the vet. They are much too young and dehydration is a serious problem, especially the blood in their diarrhea. PLEASE bring them to a vet, sign them over if you can't pay the bill!

facebook

I have no problem at all paying the bill, they just kept giving me the run around and telling me that couldn't see them today, "they were too busy" so first thing in the morning, I am calling a different vet!!

Oh wow, yes DEFINITELY call a different vet. This is a very urgent situation, especially considering their young age, they can dehydrate severely in no time!!

Good luck!

facebook

Call another vet. The one you called sounds like a jerk. Coccidia is spread through bodily fluids (feces, urine). Baby kitties can go downhill SO fast at that age. If you can, get them to an emergency vet. Good luck and please, keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

the kittens are doing a little better. they definitely are NOT worse!! slightly more active. still not eating much. I have an appointment with a different vet in about an hour. I hope everything goes ok. I will keep everyone posted.

Oh yes please please let us know how it goes!!

facebook

Sending lots of prayers for these little sweeties.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

We are praying that those Babies are All Right.
    That Vet should know that there are some things that have to be looked at right away.
    Little Kittens at that age are so delicate.
    Please keep us updated.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

MANY PRAYERS FOR THE BABIES!!! Please seek the opinion of another vet!!! When I read your post DISTEMPER came to mind immediately!!! Please keep us posted!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

Distemper was my fist thought as well. I took them to the vet and he says its coccidia and the start of an URI. They were given medications and I am to take them back on Thursday if they don't improve. The smallest weighed just 3 1/2 oz and the largest was 5 1/2 oz. they are so tiny!! temps were ok though. they were also given an ointment for their bottoms, they are irritated and swollen from sucking on each other. (sorry if tmi) thanks for being concerned.

I am just reading this thread... and I should say a big THANK YOU for taking care of these little ones who cannot help themselves! You are obviously a special person.

I hope and pray that the little ones are better soon.

You are going to be working night and day to pull these kittens through their illnesses, and are to be commended for taking on the task. After your first post, I was very afraid we were going to hear that one or more of them had died since kittens fade so very quickly. I remember nursing 3-week-old kittens with URI and how very frightening it was, seeing them mouth breathing and having difficulty eating. The vet had me put nasal drops in one nostril for each cat twice a day, alternating nostrils. I also kept them in a warm, steam-filled bathroom for an hour at a time - I bought a humidifier but I thought the bathroom worked better. They pulled through and I hope your kittens will also.

Hope you and the kitties are doing OK. Been praying for all of you and waiting for a positive update. Be sure to keep the babies warm all the time.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

I take my hat off to you for taking on such a huge task. Bless you for helping these precious widdle ones. Is anyone helping you to feed and care for the babies or are you doing this by yourself? I could only imagine what it must be for you to take care of 6 little ones at a time.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way, that the babies have a full and speedy recovery.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010