Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A puppy may be coming home?

Honestly I think:
    1) You should go get the dog. Obviously these people don't measure up to dog ownership. I can't believe they spent the money on a golden with your bloodlines. They would have done better with a free puppy ad. Tho that puppy wouldn't have anyone that cared about it.
    2) I agree with KayAnn. Since this puppy obviously isn't socialized properly it probably is aggressive. I often worry about Keegan with this.
    3) Has anyone ever seen an agressive golden?
    Let me see-- A friend of mine has a nine year old golden that bit another friend's daughter. Yes the little girl was in the dog's face. But still you can't say she wasn't aggressive. That same dog just went after a man in her home when he walked in and handed her mom a piece of paper.
    --My little 'angel' went after a policeman the other day parked in front of my garage. THANK GOD she is a puppy, he is a dog lover and a very good friend of mine, and her tail wagged about 50% of the time but not all she was serious. Or I could be in a world of hurt for letting her out the door off leash and unmuzzled. This coming from the puppy who JUST got over excitement peeing when people would come in the door.
    4) What would happen if you replace the dog breed with GERMAN SHEPHERD? YORKSHIRE TERRIER? BOXER? AKITA? LABRADOR RETRIEVER? PIT BULL?
    I can tell you there wouldn't be a post.

BOTTOM LINE===
    CANDY GO GET THAT DOG AND GIVE IT OR FIND IT A BETTER HOME. IT DESERVES BETTER
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Candy-if all breeders were like you I don't think we would have the problems with dogs we do in theis country! How excellent of you to follow up on all the pups.

My gut instinct says get the dogs out and rehome it. It sounds as if this family has not done proper training or given the dog proper attention for the first year, and with a new baby I don't belive that will change. I worry things will only get worse for the dog and if they decide to get rid of it, can you be sure they would call you and not drop him at a shelter? Not a chance I would want to take.

The softer side of me then says, give them a chance. Go to their house, work with them, observe how they treat the dog...if after a visit or two it seems they are not doing the dog right, them take him out. Maybe one phone call was exaggerated and things are better then they seem (but with the history from Dixie birthday, maybe not ).

Good luck with your decision. I know you will do what it best for the dog!

Now I am going to be waiting to see what you do.

I think you should wait and see what happens when
    you actually go down to their home and feel it out.
    If the dog is well cared for, loved and it's just
    a problem of training and they are commited
    to do what ever is needed to keep their beloved
    pet as a family member than I would work
    with them.
    If not, than take the pup back and find him a home
    that he deserves with lots of love.

You have a good heart and care.

----<---<--<{(@

DIXIE TAKE HIM BACK. The older kids will get over it, the dog will not. It sounds to me like they had the best of intentions but some people are so busy living their lives with work, kids they sometimes forget they have a pet. With a new baby, the mother will not have time to take care of that pup and if left to the kids he will get fed whenever they think of it.
    If she is willing for you to take him back, the bond cannot be that strong, I would not give up my dogs for any reason even though they don't like people or other dogs.
    None of your dogs are like that, there has to be a reason, maybe teasing with food, I think this pup would do better with maybe a couple no kids.
    When we got Daisy she was the last pup in the litter and the little girls carried her around from piller to post, never letting her down. Today she hates to be held and absolutely will not have anything to do with kids.
    Knowing how great your dogs are Kathi and Bob may want to take on a male, why not? I didn't want a male and then when I saw Perry I fell in love with him.
    If you can't keep him, with the quality of your dogs, I'm sure you would not have any trouble finding him a home.
    Just my two cents worth!
    Jackie

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer

That thought had crossed my mind as well! They are looking for a female but perhaps because it is Aunt Jazz's great nephew!

Kathi and Bob are out of town at a SAR convention but I will talk to them about it when they come back.
    As one who had been absolutely, positively convinced that I only wanted a female, please tell them that there are those of us who would have sworn that they wouldn't be happy with a male and have been converted......BIG TIME!

I had a thought earlier about this topic.
    Candy, I think you should do whatever you can to get that puppy back in case the family decides to make it a 100% outside dog or worse take him to a shelter.
    Altho I don't agree about the aggressive golden retriever. Bottom line is that dog is not in a good situation and in order for him to reach his potentional as a golden retriever he needs removed from the household. I don't think any amount of working with them will do any good b/c they simply and sadly don't care.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Originally posted by aly
    Did the mom witness the bite or is she going by what her son said? The reason I ask is because the dog may have just been going for the food and accidently got the boy. I know my lab was the most gentle thing in the world but when food was around, she was a real chow hound and would go for it without thinking. She accidently got my fingers a couple times, but it was nothing aggressive.

Do you have contracts you have people sign when they buy a puppy? If not, it might be something to consider. That way you could have a clause saying you had the right to take the puppy back if you felt the home was not working out.
    No, the mom did not witness the bite. Actually it wasn't a bite as much as a nip. The teeth grazed his cheek and caused blood to surface.

As for a contract, YES, all puppies were sold with a three page contract. Here are a couple excerpts of the contract. The first one has my blood boiling because I never got a call from this family that there may be a problem.

5. The SELLER will be available to help BUYER with any questions or problems that he or she may have for the life of the dog!

8. If at anytime the SELLER feels the terms of this contract is not being fulfilled and the health and well being of the Golden are in question, action will be taken to remove the Golden from the situation.

I spoke recently with the person who headed up the basic obedience class of this dog. She happens to be a member of the Pittsburgh Golden Retriever Club (of which I am also a member) and was told she believes the problem is environment.

They came to class but it was apparent that they did not practice from week to week and eventually they did not finish the first class or basic obedience. My contract states that they are to take 1 puppy kindergarten class and 2 series of basic classes.

I am going on the 18th to evaluate the dog and I am prepared to bring him home if necessary.

All of the owners of the rest of the puppies in the litter are thrilled with the new addition to their families and all are doing great. I talked to several after I found out this problem and other than chewing issues (which are normal at this age) nobody thinks their dog is aggressive.

I will keep everyone posted! Thanks for giving me suggestions, opinions, and a place to talk this out!!

I have been away since Thursday afternoon, and from the looks of it, there has been some action on the board.

Candy, if the dog is at all aggressive, it is not your fault at all. His family is to be blamed. We all know the quality of puppies you breed and as all the others said, you shouldn't have a hard time rehoming him!

True, kids are very attached to their dogs, but if the dog and the boy had a bond he would have never bit the kid! Dogs may growl at their owners if hungry or in pain, but when there is a true bond, no one ever gets bit! The kids may be cruel to the pup or mess with him when he eats. If he is skinny like you say, then chances are he is protective of his food.

It is never too late to help this puppy. Take him home with you and work with him. Pehaps Kathi and Bob will take him. If not, I am sure you can find him a better home. He deserves it!

Candy,

I just knew you were a knowledgeable & responsible
    breeder of the beautiful Golden Breed and would not
    let one of Dixie's pups fail to get the best of treatment
    by a family who is not wholeheartedly committed to raising
    him. I've heard that one day in the life of a dog is equal
    to one week in human terms. Can't wait till you get to
    go evaluate the pup & the enviroment first hand.

Best of Luck & Godspeed. Liz & Buddy.

I am boiling at the moment.

Knowing that they had a problem with the dog and their children, they let them alone together and another incident happened. This time the boy was taking a chew toy from the dog and he did bite him. The boy required two stitches.

I have made arrangements to get the dog back by this weekend. I am not going to evaluate the dog and the environment. I am just bringing him home where I can work with him and get him ready to go to another loving home.

If the dog is aggressive then I will have my work cut out for me to counter condition the dog. I just am so mad that they never let me know what was going on until last week. This is soooo unfair to the dog but I'm sure we can straighten it out.

Good move...get that dog out of there!!! It may be work for you, but I am sure with your love and patience that dog can be rehomed to someone who will take proper care of him!! Good luck and keep us updated!

My only addition to the comments would be....why do you have to wait until the weekend????

Seems like he needs to come home to you NOW!!! Poor baby.

Originally posted by Logan
    My only addition to the comments would be....why do you have to wait until the weekend????

Seems like he needs to come home to you NOW!!! Poor baby.
    Well it seems that they took the dog to her brother in law who lives 3 1/2 hours from them after the last incident. They do not have children and supposedly the dog loves them to pieces???? They promised to get the dog later in the week and let me pick him up on Friday. I told them I would meet them half way and pick the dog up but they won't agree to that. I don't know why. They also informed me that the dog is still crated at night and sleeps in the basement. During the day he is let out of the crate and put in a confined room. He does not have freedom in the house. No wonder it is having social problems.

I told the guy I wanted him by Saturday so he can be at the party. I want to watch him interact with the other dogs from his litter!

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    Well it seems that they took the dog to her brother in law who lives 3 1/2 hours from them after the last incident.
    That sure seems odd to me since they knew you were interested in getting him back. No wonder the poor guy has problems, being kept cooped up all the time. I'd bite too! Good luck on getting him back.

OMG!! {{{Dixieland}}}
    I am so glad you called to see how all of your pups were doing!! You might not otherwise have found out!
    That's what I like to see in breeders. How annoying that these people didn't approach you earlier about this! It sounds like this guy is a little food aggressive, but kids should also be aware not to bother a dog while it's eating (chewing a toy) It certainly sounds like they didn't keep up their side of the bargain. They didn't finish the classes and socializing properly, and the poor dog is locked up most of the time. It's so sad that things like this happen, but I'm relieved to know that he'll be back with you soon! Do keep us posted on his progress! He definitely deserves a better life than that!!