Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maggie got hit by a car... :(

Maggie got hit by a car... :(

Ugg...I really don't want to post this, because it makes me sick to my stomach to think about again. The picture keeps replaying in my mind.

We drove out the road to meet the bus today, and the dogs chased the car out, like they used to. Lately we have been putting them in the house when we leave, and having someone let them out after we are all long gone, but today nobody was home, so we had to just leave them outside. We were waiting at the end of the road in the car, and Maggie was laying on the driveway beside the car. I van drove by, and usually maggie will run at the car when it drives by, but today...she was a little bit early.

Before anything happened, my mom saw the car coming and told my sister to grab Maggie before she got hit. So my sister got out of the car to grab her, but Maggie wouldn't listen to her commands to come. Maggie ran out in the road, and all you heard was a boom and a yelp. The car didn't even try to stop before it hit her. The bus was just about ready to stop when she got hit, so me and my sister couldn't look her over. The lady who hit Maggie turned around an came an apologized. I called my mom when I got to school to find out what happend. The lady came back all shooken up, and was apologizing for hitting her. She said that she thought that Maggie was just going to stay laying by the car, and not give chase. Maggie is perfectly fine, no broken bones, not even soar. She isn't limping or anything. I feel so bad, this could have been prevented. I was so worried, because my best friends dog Tika got hit by a car on Friday and died.

We went to town tonight to by tie-outs for both Maggie and Autumn, so that they can't go out the road and be in danger. I feel bad for tieing them up, but it's better to be safe, than to have a dead dog. Hope you guys understand this was a freak accident!
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

Oh my I am SO happy that shes okay! Sheesh, what a LUCKY, LUCKY pup...but she may not be so lucky next time...

I'm glad you went and got tie outs, they will be much safer!!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

poor Maggie. I am SO glad she's alright!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by Toby's my baby
    I feel bad for tieing them up, but it's better to be safe, than to have a dead dog. Hope you guys understand this was a freak accident!
    Been following your posts about this problem, I think many of us felt it was only a matter of time before one of them was bound to get hit. Glad to see you are taking serious steps to prevent this from happening again. I disagree about it being a freak accident, though. Dogs are killed by cars every day, you are very fortunate she wasn't injured or killed.

Oh, gosh... I'm SO glad that your Maggie has absolutely no injuries! What a miracle!
    Give her a hug for me!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Poor Maggie...I'm sure you know this, but you're extremely lucky she wasn't seriously injured. I'm not upset with you and I hope you don't take this the wrong way but why couldn't the dogs stay inside the house if nobody was home?? In my opinion, it's much safrer for them inside alone than it is outside. My dogs are never out alone when nobody is home. Also, instead of tie-outs, would it be possible for your family to put some sort of fence up just for Maggie and Autumn?

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

When I saw this at first I was so worried! I didn't know what to think. I am so happy Maggie is ok! Im sorry you had to go through that! I hope it never happens agian. Poor baby. I hope she feels better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    Been following your posts about this problem, I think many of us felt it was only a matter of time before one of them was bound to get hit. Glad to see you are taking serious steps to prevent this from happening again. I disagree about it being a freak accident, though. Dogs are killed by cars every day, you are very fortunate she wasn't injured or killed.
    Hmm my thoughts, exactly.

Though I am VERY VERY glad that she is not hurt in any way, but just to be safe I would still bring her in for a checkup, because you can't physically see internal problems or even know they are there until its almost too late

facebook

Oh no. Not Maggie. She has always reminded me of my Ziggy. I really wish her a speedy recovery. I am glad you are taking steps to prevent this problem in the future. Please keep us updated!

Get Well Soon Maggie!

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutango
    Poor Maggie...I'm sure you know this, but you're extremely lucky she wasn't seriously injured. I'm not upset with you and I hope you don't take this the wrong way but why couldn't the dogs stay inside the house if nobody was home?? In my opinion, it's much safrer for them inside alone than it is outside. My dogs are never out alone when nobody is home. Also, instead of tie-outs, would it be possible for your family to put some sort of fence up just for Maggie and Autumn?

We couldn't put them in the house, because they are not inside dogs. They have never in their whole lives been in the house when nobody was home. They couldn't be in there when we were gone, because there was no way for anybody to let them out. I know a lot of you disagree with them staying outside all the time, but this is how I was raised (the dogs living outside) and I never knew any different untill I joined PT. I hope you guys can please just be sympathetic, and please not to start an argument. I know you don't mean to get anybody upset, or hurt any feelings, so please, I've tried my best to explain myself about the dogs staying outside, I know that it was terribly mean on me and my families part to allow this to have happend, and I know some of you know how me and my family feel at the moment. It is a horrible thing that happend to Maggie, and we are very very glad that she wasn't badly injured or killed.

Thanks guys.
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

I'm not trying to start an arguement, I'm just honestly curious/confused. Is your yard fenced? Or they just.. run around everywhere outside unless you're home to be with them indoors?

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    just to be safe I would still bring her in for a checkup, because you can't physically see internal problems or even know they are there until its almost too late
    Agreed. I would take her to the vet just to be on the safe side.

I am glad she is acting normal. Give her a big kiss from me.

How horrible!! I'm very glad that she wasn't hurt! I can imagine how you must feel. Give her a hug for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    I'm not trying to start an arguement, I'm just honestly curious/confused. Is your yard fenced? Or they just.. run around everywhere outside unless you're home to be with them indoors?
    I understand, thank you Jessika. No our yard is not fenced. Our dogs have always been allowed to go where ever they want, which is usually no where. We live on a HUGE farm, with over 150 acres surrounding us. The highway is about 1/4 of a mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    Agreed. I would take her to the vet just to be on the safe side.

I am glad she is acting normal. Give her a big kiss from me
    I'm pretty sure we will be taking her to the vet, Autumn has to go in to get her yearly shots, so we will probably take Maggie with us. I will give her a kiss from you too
    DeviantArt
    Beth-

Wow, how scary! I'm so glad she's alright.