Thread: Cerebellar hypoplasia (video of Amy)

Threaded View

Cerebellar hypoplasia (video of Amy)

This is mainly for the newbies here so that when they see the term "CH kitties" they will know what we are talking about. I finally got the video thing figured out (I HOPE) and have a video of Amy to show her and how she is.

As I have posted before, I got Amy when she was 2 months old and did not realize there was anything wrong with her until I got her home. I got her out of a cage in a pet store and had not seen her walk when I selected her. Once I took her home, she was mine and there was no way I would take her back.

She was born in August and every year around her birthday, there is a decline in her abilities to get around. Weather and stress make her worse, at times she is not able to get in the litter box so I put down puppy pads for her. Life with her has been an emotional roller coaster ride. There are times I have sat up all night, holding her and just crying and other times when she would overcome a challange and amaze me with what she can do. I wouldn't trade her for a "normal" Amy for anything since the lessons she has taught me are MANY!

This is a video of a CH kitty

Cerebellar hypoplasia
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Cerebellar hypoplasia is a disorder found in cats and dogs in which the cerebellum is not completely mature at birth. Usually symptoms can be seen immediately at birth in cats, but sometimes can take two months or so to become apparent in dogs. Cerebellar hypoplasia causes jerky movements, tremors and generally uncoordinated motion. The animal often falls down and has trouble walking. Tremors increase when the animal is excited and subside when at ease. There are several bacterial infections, such as herpes, that can result in the disorder in both cats and dogs. However, the disease can also be caused by malnutrition, poisoning, injury or general accidents during development in the fetus. The disease does not get better or worse with age, but the cat or dog can usually learn to somewhat compensate for it. Most afflicted animals can lead a fairly normal life if preperations are made by the owner for the animals disability.
    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebellar_hypoplasia"
    Last edited by Laura's Babies; 05-01-2006 at 02:30 PM.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!