Thread: Could use some support/help with what's to become of Levi

Could use some support/help with what's to become of Levi

Some of you might remember my concerns with Levi. He was diagnosed with idiopathic cystitis about six months ago and things haven't gotten much better despite our consistency with taking him to the vet, trying various behavior and medical therapies, etc. My poor husband, who loves this cat even moreso than the others (Levi is a true character -- funny, engaging, practically "dog-like" in his antics and simply adorable), is himself near the end of the line with attempts at "fixing" Levi. Levi, even while on cosequin, busparone, antibiotics (just finished a 10-day course two+ weeks ago) and anti-inflammatories, still "pees inappropriately." He pees in the sink (doesn't bother me, but bugs my dear hubby), he pees on the kitty beds, he pees in the doggy bed, he pees on the sofa and sofa cushions, he pees on our braided rugs. He does these peeing episodes anywhere from once or twice a day to once a month, but it's unpredictable and it doesn't seem to necessarily coincide with his use of the various meds.

Our current plan is to have x-rays done on Friday and see if that shows anything new. If not, if we're still dealing with the same dx and the same treatment plan, I'm afraid to say that my husband would prefer to rehome Levi than continue sharing our home with a cat that requires about $45/month in meds alone and still pees where he shouldn't.

Hubby did talk with a coworker that has barn cats and would be willing to take Levi on. Levi is an active, otherwise healthy cat who loves to chase, play and would probably become a happy barn cat. My big concern would be that Levi's underlying health issues (history of presence of crystals, blood in his urine) would be left untreated as he would become "just" a barn cat. If he was uncomfortable or in pain or whatnot, it might not be noticed and treated the same way a housecat typically is -- I feel sad that he might not get the care that he needs, yet it's becoming less possible to keep him here in our home.

I really don't know what to do, or how to make the best decision. If we keep Levi and continue offering meds/therapies, etc. and he continues to pee where he shouldn't (we've already had to discard a loveseat that had been in perfect condition), I can't see family harmony in my home. If we surrender him to a shelter, his chances of being adopted out are probably slim to none when you consider the number of healthy, "issue-less" cats that are waiting for families. If we choose to rehome him with the friend who has barn cats, then Levi's health needs will likely be unmet and he'll get into a difficult spot physically. If we choose "humane euthanasia" then we've essentially cut off any chance of future health and happiness for a cat that we truly care for

If anyone has support or gentle thoughts on our circumstances, I'd be very willing to hear them. I feel like we've tried practically everything but I'm open to new ideas. Thanks so much.

(Here's a fairly recent pic that shows Levi's lovely ability to simply be "in the moment" -- he's such a mellow little boy):

Poor Levi

Sounds a lot like my Pouncer. He was on THREE MONTHS worth of Baytril, then switched to Clavimox and prednizone before he finally cleared up a bit. He was on it for three months straight. It did help - eventually. He also was on special diet to reduce the crystals. As soon as I switched him back to regular food, he developed crystals again. I mean, within two weeks of switching to another formula, he got sick again.

I really think sending him a farm would be a death sentence. If he gets that sick, that easily, there's no question in my mind he'd get sick and develop crystals on the farm.... and then one day he'll block and die when his bladder explodes on him because he couldn't pee.

I have not had this done, but a dear friend had to have one of her males that continued to get blocked a surgery that essentially "replumbed" his system. To the casual eye he would now appear female, but it did end the blockages because the openings are bigger. Peeing issues ended and it was much less expensive than repeated hospitalizations. He continues to be on special food, but it did work and it might be worth discussing with your vet to see if it is feasible.

Barncats can live healthy happy lives, BUT (and it is a big BUT) if he is joining an existing colony of cats, care should be taken in introducing him.

You might want to check out the Cats International website... Betsy Lipscomb is the founder and she has done lots of good work with cats with potty issues...

Good luck to you and Levi....

(Is there any way he could become a cat on an enclosed porch or run?)

Quote Originally Posted by barncat
    I have not had this done, but a dear friend had to have one of her males that continued to get blocked a surgery that essentially "replumbed" his system. To the casual eye he would now appear female, but it did end the blockages because the openings are bigger. Peeing issues ended and it was much less expensive than repeated hospitalizations. He continues to be on special food, but it did work and it might be worth discussing with your vet to see if it is feasible.

Barncats can live healthy happy lives, BUT (and it is a big BUT) if he is joining an existing colony of cats, care should be taken in introducing him.

You might want to check out the Cats International website... Betsy Lipscomb is the founder and she has done lots of good work with cats with potty issues...

Good luck to you and Levi....

(Is there any way he could become a cat on an enclosed porch or run?)
    First off, I am very sorry. (I really hope this doesn't come off as "fake") The only problems that my cats have had as far as pottying was when we were moving.

Without trying to sounds all Know-It-All, could his peeing be a territory/unneutered thing? Soni peed or sprayed, rather, on several beds before we got him neutered. Right now, I am not entirely sure where my Comprehensive Health Care for Cats book is but I will look for it and read as much as I can. Also, will do some internet searching too!

I would have to ask that too, because it sounds like a GREAT idea considering the alternatives, could he become a semi-outside cat? If you have an enclosed porch, like the ones here in Louisiana, that seems like it would be awesome. Plus, you could take him in if anything like a storm came along or whatnot.

I'm sorry to hear that Levi is having peeing problems. Have you tried changing his diet at all? If he is prone to getting crystals then he should be on a prescription food that will help prevent them. My Storm kept becoming blocked so he had to have the PU surgery which now makes him pee like a female. He'll still get crystals unless I feed him a special diet. I'm feeding him and all of my cats Royal Canin Urinary S/O formula in both wet and dry and they all love it. The wet is also supposed to help cats that have idiopathic FLUTD. Here's the link to it Royal Canin Urinary S/O Diet. I sure hope that you'll be able to find a solution for Levi so that you won't have to rehome him. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback I keep hoping I'll find the right "mix" of therapies/meds/etc. to keep Levi feeling well, so your thoughts are really helpful.

Levi was neutered as a young kitten -- we adopted him at 4 months of age along with his sister and they'd both been previously altered. He didn't show any urinary difficulty for the first four months we had him, and initially his problems appeared more behavioral than medical (his first urine sample was clean, no blood, no crystals) so we did the Feliway spray & diffuser/more litterboxes/etc. route. However, behavioral remedies didn't solve his urinary problems and vet follow-up showed blood and crystals in the next go-round. He's been on meds continuously since October. Sometimes he'll go a month without incident and we'll think everything is finally going well, then he'll have a flare of symptoms and we'll have peeing issues daily.

I'm going to be calling our vet today to discuss having x-rays done and also find out about getting the Royal Canin suggested above. We already feed our cats Royal Canin Indoors, so I'm very interested in selecting a type that will more directly influence Levi's urinary symptoms. I feel very strongly about doing everything possible to keep Levi in our home, it's where he belongs - - we love him like mad. He's the glue for our other pets -- he and Charity, his sister, are bonded, of course, and he and Bonnie are bedmates (he's the only one Bonnie will cuddle with), and he and Bijou, our collie, are playmates (they tussle and tumble and groom and frolic like two little pups). He's just an outstanding cat in every sense of the word...except for this one very difficult physical problem.

Thanks again -- will post back when we get x-ray results.

**Could you please let me know if the Royal Canin Urinary formula is prescription only? Thx.
    Last edited by tricollie4me; 04-20-2006 at 08:51 AM. Reason: ETA: Question on Royal Canin

We are sorry that such a Wonderful Cat is having such Terrible Health Issues.
    All we can offer is Our Prayers that the White Coats can help your Dear Levi.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Gloucestershire but originally from Scotland!
    Sorry to hear about poor Levi, my wee cat Bubble (female) gets recurring cystitis and when we finally got a pee sample from her....boy that was a challenge! It showed she had crystals forming,blood and some other things that shouldn't be there. Given injections of antibiotics, steriods and anti inflammatories as she does not do tablets but doesn't mind being prodded and injected by the vet!!!!!! That seems to help and also on Royal Canin SO - only available on prescription in the UK- not sure about the US? When she gets another episode she gets really antsy and vocal and sprays everywhere not great but we cope as she is such a sweetie! I hope you can find something to help Levi.....thinking of you.

Levi sounds alot like my Pete. Pete has had the surgery mentioned earlier in this thread. He blocked repeatedly and his life was in danger. He had so much scar tissue that my vet could no longer get a catheter in him. Without the surgery, he would have had to be euthanized. The surgery stopped the lifethreatening blockages, but it didn't solve the underlying problem. Pete is currently on another course of Baytril and S/O canned food only.

Have you tried amitriptylene? It's another medication. If some of Levi's problems are stress based, it may help him. It does a number of things--in humans it's an anti-depressant and used in the control of chronic pain. I spelled the name wrong, but that's close and your vet will know what it is. Pete was on it for awhile at the height of his problems. It was effective.

Ask your vet about Adequan too. It's similar to Cosequin. It is actually a canine arthritis medication, but it's safe for cats and seems to help with bladder inflammation. When Pete flares up, he gets a weekly injection that tapers off to monthly.

Levi may need to be retrained to use a litter box. He likely associates the box with pain so he avoids it. Can you isolate him in your house somewhere? Give him access to just that area until he's using the box consistently and then try letting him out again.

When Pete pees on something, he's telling me he's sick again. If he feels ok, he uses the litter box all the time. If he's not up to par, he pees on cat beds.

Another possiblity is litter aversion. Does Levi have a pattern to what he pees on? My Onyx has behavioral litter box issues. He likes hard flat surfaces to pee on--like my table and kitchen counter. That's a bit of a problem for me! So I have one empty litter box for Onyx--regular box, nothing in it. He pees in there and I rinse it out every day. I also have one with just a skiff of litter in it that he uses occasionally. Extra boxes and different kinds of litter might help. I have 8 cats, 10 litter boxes and use 4 different kinds of litter to keep them all happy!

How old is Levi? My vet told me that when cats develop these kinds of problems young, they often outgrow them as they age. Pete blocked when he was barely two. He's six now and although he still has episodes, they are getting farther apart. This is the first major problem in a year for him!

Royal Canin is not prescription in Canada. You have to buy it at a vet clinic, but you don't need the piece of paper from the doctor. There are different formulas for different types of crystals. Pete is on Hills S/O right now to help dissolve the crystals, but it's not meant to fed long-term. He'll go back on C/D once this flare-up is over.

Good Luck! I hope you find something that works for your boy!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I don't think that you need a prescription for the Royal Canin Urinary S/O formula but you have to buy it from your vet. My vet's office doesn't usually have it on hand so they have to order it for me. It's expensive but well worth it to keep my furkids healthy. I sure hope that you'll be able to find something that will help Levi. Good luck.