Thread: chylothorax

chylothorax

My Borris has just been diagnosed with Idopathic Chylothorax. They tapped his lungs and took out close to 20 onces. I've been reading some prior posts trying to learn as much as I can about this awful disease. I'm so scared.

He is to return to the vet on Friday for another x-ray / checkup. The vet didn't sound very promising, although she said to switch him to a low-fat diet and to give him Rutin. It was my understanding that it was in a capsule form that could be sqirted over his food. However, I was only able to find it (in our local area) in a tablet form. Can this be done? Should I crush it into his food? I know trying to coax it down him is NOT an option... he won't have any of that! I am glad to see that his appetite is back. So maybe hiding it in some moist food would do the trick.. Has anyone ever tried this or is it usually administered from a capsule?

Hoping someone can help... We need it!

I am so sorry to hear about Borris, i don't know anything much about what Borris has been diagnosed with but i do believe one of our Pters had a cat with it, I have forgotten who it was now, but I am sure others will remember, i wish you both well and hope that Borris will be ok.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Thanks Carole

Sorry to hear about your Boris. I recall there was a thread about this disease a while back. Maybe you can check somehow. Is there anyway you can crush the pill, add a bit of water, let it dissolve, then add it to the food. Can't your vet help in finding the med in liquid form?? Good luck and prayers for Boris and you!
    Nine is Fine!!

Catsnclay's Lucky has been diagnosed with chylothorax some years ago. It looks as if he got over it. If you search you will find quite some threads about it. Sending all my best thoughts for Boris.

New York City for years, Ohio now. Go me!
    I would recommend crushing the pill into powder and mixing it with a small amount of food. Feed the treated food to him and wait until he consumes it before giving him his regular portion of food.

If he absolutely refuses to eat the treated food, I'd try mixing the powder with water and giving it to him as a liquid med, but be prepared for drooling. Also shake well before administering, and make it a small amount, like one pill per cc of water.

If that doesn't fly either, see if the medication comes in an injectable form and get your vet to show you how to give shots. Oftentimes that's the least objectionable for all concerned.

Thank you for your suggestions. The vet said tablets would be fine... now I had to find a way to pill him. I found placing him on a countertop worked MUCH better than trying to hold him. He's getting used to it (or maybe I am!).

Now, just trying to find out more about treatment. Surgery is an option, but would rather not rush into it.

Thanks again for your help.

My Bassett had chylothorax. We found with her, she didn't respond to the rutin therapy and opted for surgery.. for her, it was the best choice. The surgery was, in my opinion, a success and she did very well for a year. Please feel free to PM me with specific questions at any time. If you have MSN I would be happy to add you as well.

Sincerely,
    Naomi