Thread: bowel movement question

bowel movement question

UPDATE:
    I just found this on multpiple websites (couldn't find it earlier on the other sites though)
    Don't worry if he doesn't pass a stool after every feeding or even every day.
    I guess since he is doing GREAT otherwise I will wait another day or two.

QUESTION:
    When I first got him Fri afternoon his stools were small but otherwise looked ok. I brought a fecal to the vets where it came up negative under a smear (better than the fecal floats). He was dewormed anyways.

But I haven't seen him poop since yesterday morning and he's only had 2 bowel movements that I saw since I got him Friday afternoon.
    It is possible that he may have pooped under something & not in his box when I wasn't looking but I have a feeling he didn't as I have never seen him wander under or behind anything before and I've also searched everywhere for poop. He's rarely out of my sight, maybe only a few times for a couple seconds each time and he is confined to either the living room & kitchen or a big dog crate. But anything is possible I suppose.
    He is acting fine otherwise, urinating ok, eating, drinking, active, alert, everything else is normal.
    He does meow constantly when in the litter box but has done so since day one, even was he was having bowel movements. He does not appear to be sensative at all near his rear end.
    He is not eating a lot of solid food though, mostly formula and watered down merrick canned food. I do offer him moistened kibble (chicken soup for the kitten lovers soul) and he does knibble on it but he doesn't eat much of that at all.
    And I do stimulate the bowels and bladder and he will sometimes let out a little urine but not feces. It almost appears he may not need this step anymore??????
    Should I be concerened?

SEMI-UPDATE:
    A receptionist finally called back from the vets office as she has spoken to the vet, they want to see the kitten but won't tell me if it's urgent or not.
    I am BROKE & already took the cat to the vets yesterday (wasn't concerned then cause it was only one day with no bowel movement at that time and the vet didn't seem to concerned about it either yesterday).
    If this is urgent I will get him to the vets no doubt but if it's common I'd rather wait a day or two longer.
    Last edited by lv4dogs; 04-18-2006 at 02:33 PM.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

In my experience the vet ALWAYS wants to see them in their office, even after stressing you don't have the funds immediately. Don't get me wrong, I will NEVER deny any of my pets medical attention, but for some of the minor things (worms, etc) that can be analyzed and discussed over the phone, they don't NEED to bring in the pet to be "seen". Then they run a bunch of tests without telling you and charge you an arm and a leg

You reminded me I have to deworm all my guys again today, though.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    In my experience the vet ALWAYS wants to see them in their office, even after stressing you don't have the funds immediately. Don't get me wrong, I will NEVER deny any of my pets medical attention, but for some of the minor things (worms, etc) that can be analyzed and discussed over the phone, they don't NEED to bring in the pet to be "seen". Then they run a bunch of tests without telling you and charge you an arm and a leg
    Yeah I know, thats why I am asking here. Especially seeing as they just saw him yesterday and said he was completely fine. I'm afraid I may just be blowing money down the drain if I bring him in, money that can be used for other very important things.

I am the same way, my pets will get treatment if needed, thats for sure but I am not very keen on the idea of bringing them in for something very simple that can be discussed over the phone like you said.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

lv4dogs, if you bring a fecal sample back in you should request that they do a fecal flotation. Fecal flotations will float up almost any egg but with a direct smear you may be missing something if it is there. The old lab I worked in ran the fecal diagnostic tests for both the large and small animal clinics and they never did direct smears. It was always fecal floats. Hope this helps!
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

Sorry I was unable to update, I was without a computer but he pooped about an hour after I posted this. :roll:

During that hour I did more research & found that a few websites stated not to worry if they don't pass a stool after every feeding or even every day (which I did get a chance to post about above). After finding that I called back the vets office and actually spoke with the Dr, she said the same thing. She said as long as the kitten is completely healthy & normal besides the fact that she/he's lacking bowel movements & as long as the kitten is getting mostly liquids, she wouldn't be concerened until 2-3 days, possibly 4 if the kitten has been through a lot of change &/or stress &/or if the kitten is under 3 weeks of age and getting completely liquids.

George is doing great! Thanks!