View Poll Results: Are you registered to vote if you're 18 +?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, I'M REGISTERED

44 89.80%
  • NO, I'M 18+ AND I'M NOT REGISTERED (please explain why you're not)

5 10.20%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You Registered?

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    there is a new one again lol paul martin is gone and Harper is in.

and I am 18 and not registered to vote, not interested.
    OMG! Jean Chretien was PM FOREVER, now two new guys in the blink of the eye?

I leave the country and everything just falls to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie
    OMG! Jean Chretien was PM FOREVER, now two new guys in the blink of the eye?

I leave the country and everything just falls to bits.
    There aren't 2 new guys. It was Chretien (for about 11yrs) & as of Jan 2006 its Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnaj4962
    Just wanted to add that as an employee of my local Council on Aging, I am concerned about the new law requiring a valid picture ID for all voters. Many seniors don't have a picture ID if they no longer drive, and I am concerned that this may prevent them from being able to vote. Just a concern, and we are trying to get folks to the license branch for their picute ID before the May primaries.
    Interesting. My Mom has a picture ID. Looks just like a license but it says NON-DRIVING ID (or something like that). Must be different in each state.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Quote Originally Posted by king2005
    There aren't 2 new guys. It was Chretien (for about 11yrs) & as of Jan 2006 its Harper.
    You forgot Paul Martin. He was PM in between Chretien and Harper. Harper scares me silly, but that's a different thread!

cali: you don't have to be registered to vote in Canada. You can show up on polling day at any voting station with proof of identity and vote.

I do vote, have at every possible opportunity since I turned 18. I believe it's a privledge we are lucky to have and if we don't exercise it, we will loose it. I also believe if you didn't vote, you shouldn't say anything about the government. That's how I got Stuart to start voting. He likes to talk politics, but I won't discuss it with people who don't vote. My mother always told me that silence is agreement and if I didn't like something I had an obligation to speak up about it. Not voting is silence in the political world.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    You forgot Paul Martin. He was PM in between Chretien and Harper. Harper scares me silly, but that's a different thread!

cali: you don't have to be registered to vote in Canada. You can show up on polling day at any voting station with proof of identity and vote.

I do vote, have at every possible opportunity since I turned 18. I believe it's a privledge we are lucky to have and if we don't exercise it, we will loose it. I also believe if you didn't vote, you shouldn't say anything about the government. That's how I got Stuart to start voting. He likes to talk politics, but I won't discuss it with people who don't vote. My mother always told me that silence is agreement and if I didn't like something I had an obligation to speak up about it. Not voting is silence in the political world.
    oh ya, forgot about that fat old monster, he was good at taking money too... I don't know, I don't fear Harper, I think Martin just made him look bad & Harper being a nice quiet man didn't fight dirty like Martin did, nothing but BS just to make Harper look like he'll be the next Bush

oh ya, forgot about that fat old monster, he was good at taking money too... I don't know, I don't fear Harper, I think Martin just made him look bad & Harper being a nice quiet man didn't fight dirty like Martin did, nothing but BS just to make Harper look like he'll be the next Bush

My concern with Harper is his treatment of women and women's rights. I fully expect to loose my right to choose what happens to my body if he remains in power long term, especially if he wins a majority at some point. The minority status will keep him in check for now. He just appointed a white, upper-class, strongly pro-life, way right wing, MAN as Minister Responsible for the Status of Women!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    My concern with Harper is his treatment of women and women's rights. I fully expect to loose my right to choose what happens to my body if he remains in power long term, especially if he wins a majority at some point. The minority status will keep him in check for now. He just appointed a white, upper-class, strongly pro-life, way right wing, MAN as Minister Responsible for the Status of Women!
    I never understood what right & left wing means.

Honestly I have NO issues with a Man as Minister Responsible for the Status of Women, becasue he might have been the best choice out of all the people for the job. I'm also pro life (unless raped, or the mother is in lifes harm & has no other option but to abort), I strongly believe that if you fool around & get pregnat, tough titties. All the mother has to do is carry it to term & then put it out for adoption. There are SOOO many Canadians who cannot have children of their own (I might be one of them, stupid genes) & it pains me to watch people toss their babies in the trash when there are loving adults out there not able to have & want.

2 of my good childhood friends had a baby together. They didn't want it, so she gave birth & adopted it out. The adoptive parents are great! They love their new daughtor & are taking good care of her (my 2 friends are allowed to see her every now & then, so they can keep an eye on her & they have a school fund set up for her)...

I haven't been able to keep up with the news for quite a few months, so if theres other stuff you think is bad, do share (I'm trying to get updated, but its not easy), stupid move.

Edit: I'm against Feminests, as they try to make women better then men & not equals. NOT all women can be firefighters or police officers, I think if a woman can pass the same tests as a man then she is Equal! In Police Foundations the women have an easier test!!!!!! How is that equal? (made me quite mad)

I'm registered, And I hope that my One Vote will help make a difference in the near future for change.

I am registered for St Charles county, but not in Taney county because I just moved. Guess I should hop on that, eh?

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    I am registered for St Charles county, but not in Taney county because I just moved. Guess I should hop on that, eh?
    So you guys can't just show up at the poll booth, flash your ID & then vote?
    Is registering a long process? Can you get denyed?

So you guys can't just show up at the poll booth, flash your ID & then vote?
    Is registering a long process? Can you get denyed?
    Well, when I turned 18 I just got a card in the mail. I registered to vote when I got my driver's license, then they mailed you a card telling you where to go to vote. I don't know if I have to re-register in a different couty (same state) but I will have to look into it.

Its not really a long process, and I'm sure you CAN be denied, but I don't know the guidelines that would get you denied lol

facebook

I've been registered since I was 18, however I will admit about being bad when it comes to actually showing up to vote but I've made it in a few times.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Any time you move to a new municipality in the US you need to re-register to vote. You can be denied, there are states where felons are not allowed to vote, and you need proof of US citizenship.

To clarify about state issued IDs: as I understand it, they have an expirations date here in IN!!! Which means that a senior may have gotten a state issued ID when they first quit driving, but it may have expired! The law says that it must be a current and valid ID!

Hope that clarifies what I meant. (I just assume you all know what I am thinking in my head!)

I have been registered to vote since I turned 18, and vote in every election. I feel that if you do not vote, you have no right to complain about government, and we all know how much people like to complain about the government. It is a Right, not a strict obligation, but I feel it is part of my responsibility as a citizen.

No, you are not registered to vote when you get your driver's license here, as we can get our license before we are 18, and our state has not enacted a Motor/Voter law. Some have. No, King2005, it is not difficult to register, you go to town or city hall, or other designated places, and fill out a piece oof paper. You may need to show some form of ID, and show ID again when you vote.

So many people fought so hard to get us the right to vote. People around the world die every day, fight and die to try to get their right to a vote, a voice in their own government and future. I am often ashamed at how low the voter turnout is for American elections, yet everyone always gripes and moans about government.

Well, if you are not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. And I'll have no patience for your complaining. Register, educate yourself on the issues, and vote!