Thread: Any idea what this is??

Any idea what this is??

I've noticed, that when Charlie really gets at licking his butt, if I am around say 3 feet away, I smell this metalic oder coming from him.

It doesn't smell like poo. Which I would have thought I would smell from him lickin his butt.

Sorry for all the butt and fart posts today, I promise, I'm not a kid. lol

Could be his anal glands are impacted. This usually happens with smaller dogs, but can happen with any breed. You said in another post you've already got a vet appointment, the vet can express his anal glands. And yep, it's a nasty, nasty smell!

I thought they do this when they get groomed?? I took him to petsmart 2 weeks ago, how often are they supposed to have this done?

It depends on the groomer's polisy, and if you ask to have it done. Ask your vet when you are there how often you should have it done if, in fact, that is the problem. Many dogs anal glands never need expressing by someone else, they just worked normally, but some dogs need it done for them. Our dogs never needed it done, but they were very large dogs, and they enevr got professionally groomed either. We used to joke about taking Gracie, the Great Dane, to the groomer not far from my parents' house. They had a big sign that said they "Fluff dired" the dogs, and we wanted to see 'em fluff dry Gracie! Her coat was very, very sleek and flat to her skin. Brushing her was often like raking pebbles - sure you could make patterns, but it didn't really do much! Especially compared to the Saint Bernards we owned before and after her, where in the proper season, you could brush a shopping bag full of fur out, and still the brush would come up with more if you tried again!

I have expressed anal glands plently of times and yuck, was the smell offensive! I think it smells like canned fish!

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Yeah Ginger Needs Her Anal Glands Expressed Almost Every 6 Months. It's Crazy... She Will Start Licking And Before Long, She Will Begin Sitting On Rectum, With Her Legs Spread And Then Scoot Herself Across The Entire Length Of The Carpet - It's Time To Go To The Vets!

Hey Asley, I'm Starting To Think You Have Got Some Anal Retentives Issues!!! Lol!!! :d

Quote Originally Posted by BOBS DAD

Hey Asley, I'm Starting To Think You Have Got Some Anal Retentives Issues!!! Lol!!! :d
    rOFLOL

Quote Originally Posted by ashleycat
    I thought they do this when they get groomed?? I took him to petsmart 2 weeks ago, how often are they supposed to have this done?
    Most groomers don't do it. A good many don't have the knowhow to do it. I'm sure most petSmart groomers don't. I personally feel much more comfortable with a vet doing it.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I also think it's his anal glands, which would also explaing some of the itching he's beend doing back there. Granted it may not be the only problem causing the itching but it very well may be at least part of the problem.
    And yes, not all groomers do it, most of them you need to specify that you want it done. And some dogs may need them expressed more than others, depending on the dog they may need to be expressed once a week or once a year or never. If the anal glands are causing a problem over & over again, diet may help.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix
    Most groomers don't do it. A good many don't have the knowhow to do it. I'm sure most petSmart groomers don't. I personally feel much more comfortable with a vet doing it.
    I agree. And most vets only charge $15-25 to have it done. No visit fee.