Thread: Not Ashamed Of My Country

Not Ashamed Of My Country

I am proud to be an American! I vote, pay taxes and believe in the American way. I am a citizen, a patriot and having many members of my family serve and die in the military, I fully support all our men and women in harms way - BUT I AM NOT HAPPY with the direction our government has taken.

SO... I guess I must resort to the DOG HOUSE to let off some steam. IMMIGRATION - need I say more? There already exists a perfectly sound process for gaining entry and eventual citizenship to America. Granted, it can be slow and tedious but my grandparents (maybe yours) and millions of others have taken that road. WHAT IS GOING ON IN WASHINGTON? What brilliant minds are calling the shots? Hello??? The lights are on, but nobody is home!!!

I voted for President Bush the first time around (2000). He seemed like a likeable, down to earth guy who wouldn't get caught up in partisan politics, but rather - govern from the heart. Unfortunately, I think he surrounded himself with bad people from the start - castaways and throwbacks to his father's administration.

After 4 years of mis-steps, poor planning and debaucles, I felt duped! The war in Iraq: Did we have to go? I don't know... but it isn't really relevant at this point. BUT DID ANYBODY HAVE A PLAN BEYOND BLOWING UP Bagdad and taking down Saddam??? It sure doesn't seem like. Seems more like the admistration believed their own rhetoric about being greeted with flowers as Liberators and the Iraquis just blindly accepting Democracy! C'MON... an Ancient Culture with Tribes and Sects, totally subjegating women and living by Sharia Law (stoning people - mostly women to death) is just going to change overnight? Don't get me started...

Even so, after 4 years my biggest gripe was the Economy and Health Reform. I know those are big issues and no President ever is totally responsible for the state of the Union at any gven time. BUT what made me so mad was that during the year campaign buildup to the election, the President maintained that the "economy was strong, and growing stronger". Meanwhile, here in SW PA I was losing my shirt! All of my savings and resources were used up during a 2-3 year recession that saw me doing half of my sales numbers from previous years! I hung on as long as I could... and finally without any other recourse, I had to let 2 of my 3 employees go. People who had been with me since I started my business. I was able to give them 2 months salary and a year of Health Insurance! I felt terrible. But after a year of merely paying everyone else and literally bringing $0.00 home, I was in finacial despair. AND YET, I would turn on the TV and hear during the debates, "the economy is strong, and growing stronger". That's when I lost my faith. I knew that the eventual outcome would have likely been the same, but I would of much rather heard President Bush say, "we know that things are tough out there and that many of you are struggling to stay afloat. We feel for you and all we can say is we hope you can hang in there. We've got a plan and when it's effects kick in, we believe things will turn around". At least then, I could of felt like he was on top of things. That he understood reality. But I couldn't even have that satisfaction. I had nothing. No hope. It was then that I decided that what I mistook for down-home, awh shucks likeability was really a veneer of dumbness.

I went to see Mr. Cheney/Bush when they came to town. I also went to see Kerry. I listened to everyone and researched on-line (government sites on actual voting records, positions and all publicly available stats on everything from the economy, taxes to health care) every issue I could. And while I didn't agree with everything Kerry proposed, I felt I was aligned more closely to his policies, agenda and plans for our future as a nation. And so, he got my vote. I was on the wrong side again. Apparently, most of Americans felt that we were on the right course and things were just fine (apparently many folks without jobs in "our neighbors to the West" Ohio also felt this way).

Now after another 2 years of crazy, I mean crazy decisions regarding our security and national defense, I hope that most Americans realize that we don't hire the fox to guard the chicken coop (port security debaucle) and we don't open up our borders to anyone who can can climb a ladder.

I know that within any administration there is enough blame to go around and that everyone helps to contribute to the current state of affairs - Democrats and Republicans alike! But when you go to the polls this November to cast your votes and let your sentiments be heard, I hope that you will put your long standing party affiliations aside and try to remove those who have misled us and added to our decline as a nation once admired (yes feared too, but first and foremost admired) by the world - whoever they may be!!!

OK, I have ranted enough!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not Ashamed Of My Country

Well I would state you sumed it up pretty good & I could have put this into words any better.. I agree 100%.. Thank you for the Venting..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

BOB'S DAD,

Great thread!! I didn't vote for Bush. Never did.

I think the borders should be totally closed. We have enough problems supporting the LEGAL immigrants in this country without the ILLEGAL ones taking what is NOT rightfully theirs!!!

Ever consider running for President???

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Very well said BOBS DAD!! I couldn't have said it better myself. I didn't vote for George Bush and I'm proud to say that. I feel that many many Americans feel the same way you do about our current administration. I don't meet too many people that like Bush so I'm still trying to figure out who all the people are that voted for him. Your vent explains it very well and I thank you for saying it. Frankly, I wonder every day how he's still in office

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

As far as illegal immigration goes.....

If things were bad enough in this country that people were willing to SAIL OUT OF HERE ON MATTRESSES we might not be so uptight about people who are desperately trying to escape life in, say, Cuba, and come to somewhere where they stand a chance.

A lot of illegal immigrants take jobs that nobody here would want, like working in Los Angeles sewing together clothes in sweatshops for $3 an hour. We don't want to hear about that though, we just go to Forever 21 and buy the clothes.

IMO, we should make it easier for people to become citizens, at least for people coming from places where the situation is as bad as it is in Cuba right now.

Does is suck for us when illegal immigrants come in and use taxpayers' money on public services and whatnot? Yes, it does. However, imagine how much it sucks for the people still living in places riddled with war.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

They can come. America has always had it arms open to the those who were looking for a better life and were willing to work hard to achieve that goal. The illegals that you mention who are working in the sewers are certainly empathetic individuals, but we can't allow others to endlessly follow their paths. Please come legally. I do think there needs to be tighter controls and a constant vigilance to secure our borders for everyone safety.

I am not saying that we shouldn't encourage and even make it easier for honest hardworking people to make a better life for themselves in America... I'm just saying that we need to make sure that they do it legally. FLOATING to America on a mattress is an act of desperation, one that is certainly admirable and sad - but it is also extremely dangerous and unsafe for both the floater(s) and every American citizen. As a nation, we need to know who is here and everything that goes along with that type legal classification - are they sick? have they brought Bird Flu? have they smuggled anything illegal (besides themselves), such as dogs (there are a flood of illegal and sickly dogs being smuggled into the US by Mexican puppy mills and sold on the streets in CA)??? what are their intentions - are they simply looking for work and want desperately to become U.S. Citizens - or do they want to blow up the World Trade Center???

There needs to be a system for processing this information and that can only occur within a bonafide legal mechanism. AND we can't encourage people to sidestep the process!!!

As far as the jobs you speak of and taxpayers money, etc.. I'm all for my taxes helping others get a fresh start and assisting others less fortuneate than I. And yes, illegals do often take jobs that others won't - but to encorage this is almost like taking advantage of them - sort of like the sweatshops that you describe. And Forever 21 - I'm not sure what that is exactly... duh???

Anyway, immigration wasn't my only complaint when originally venting!!! I guess I'm just a former GW fan who feels he's made a mistake and now wants to be accountable!!!

I do think there needs to be tighter controls and a constant vigilance to secure our borders for everyone safety
    THAT'S what I meant.

Oh and, BTW, I'm NOT ashamed of our country, only the big guy in that big White House.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Maybe Mayor...

and work my way up!!!

Actually, I HAVE considered running for Mayor! But I don't think I could be serious enough to run an effective campaign. I immediately start thinking of goofy sign I could post mocking my opponent. Flyers I could make which say, "I know nothing about government, collecting taxes or running your town. If you want a career politician and a seasoned veteran, then YOU DO NOT WANT to vote for me... all things considered, I still think I am a better choice than my opponent - and that's not saying much for him".

Seriously though, I think it is a lot harder being President than it is "wanting" to be President. I think I really only want to be President for a day... maybe 10 minutes... just long enough to pass a law or make a decision on an issue that I am currently upset over! Then I'm done. At least until I want to be President for another 10 minutes.

I love my country too!!! The leaders, however, leave a lot to be desired!!! I too supported GW but think he has made a series of big goofs lately.

Everyone of my male relatives has been in some form of the service. I support the men and women in the armed services 100%

Maybe if we could help the countries where all the immigrants are coming from become better places to live and work, that would help solve the problem. I would rather some of our tax dollars go to a program like that than into a space program to mars or something. Either that, or make those countries part of the US, then they wouldn't need to immigrate. (just kidding folks)

We do need to stop giving illegals free services so easily though. I know lots of Americans who can't get medical help but illegals can get it easily. For them the streets of the US are paved with gold. Still, I can't blame anyone for wanting a better life for themselves or their families.

We do need to get a grip on those borders though or someday we will wake up to be the United States of ?????
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have some of the same problems in Canada.
    Money is like Blood,it has to circulate to do any good,and its staying in too few pockets.
    Thats the main problem with the Economy!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by BOBS DAD
    And Forever 21 - I'm not sure what that is exactly... duh???
    Oops, it's a pretty popular women's clothing store chain in my area.

Thank you Wolf_Q!