Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching for a cat

Searching for a cat

My husband and I are searching for a cat. Now, seeing as how we won't actually be making the motions to physically *get* the kitty for a year or more, I really wanting to do some good research. I was hoping that I could post a few summarized things on here and someone(s) could help me out by giving me the names of some breeds that might fit my particular things... Okay, here goes...

We already have two very playful cat-loving cats (Who happen to love people, too! So freakin' loving it makes mama want to puke sometimes! Heh, just kidding, of course! ). We are getting a purebred Chihuahua from my aunt who happens to be a breeder. The pooch will be very well socialized around dogs and cats. So, naturally, we want a cat who is more apt to get along with the critters that we currently, and will soon, share the domain with. I already know that a lot of it comes from owner/breeder/trainer/foster and good socialization. Really, we are not opposed to anything as far as where the cat comes from, if it has multiple breeds or not, colours, anything, etc. but I would love to be able to find a cat of a particular breed who are known to be exceptionally loving and affectionate. I know that cats are generally independent natured and it will be pretty unlikely to find one who is as loving as Soni (or at least that's what I am telling myself so I don't set myself up for disappointment). Health is very important but I am in no way objecting to adopting a special needs cat or kitten. The last and least of my concerns are the way the cat looks. However, as I'm getting older (geez, I can't say that without making myself feel like I sound about 90) I am finding that I have a special affinity for fluffy cats but Soni is medium haired and I would prefer not to have a long haired cat any time in the near future. I really love the Egyptian Mau and Safari cats coats. Heh, I have a kitty colour theme going on and am hoping to find a cat that is orange(-ish, maybe?). That is in no way necessary, though. I am just tickled about the fact that I have a white-ish cat and a mostly black cat. An orange cat and the palette will be, mostly, complete! heh. kidding.

Summary: I would really like the name of a breed(s) that may even loosely match what I am speaking of. Size, colour, and the like, do not matter. I would really appreciate any and all help. =)

If I was looking for another cat I'd spend a lot of time at the local shelters and look for a cat who wants to adopt me!

G535 has the RIGHT idea!!! There are TOO MANY wonderful cats languishing at shelters!!! Their lives are on the time line, and too many are put to death. Find a shelter in your area and visit!!! You may even fine a purebred that someone ditched! A cat rescued from the shelter will be grateful for the rest of their life to you for saving them!!! I know, we have had shelter cats snd they are the BEST!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

I don't how close you are to California, but Ruth is looking for a home for her relative's purebred Maine Coon, whose owner just passed away and the family can't keep because of an aggressive dog.

Here's the link:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=102142

If you live in the area, or there's anyway a transport can be set up, PLEASE consider adopting Emily. The Maine Coon is a wonderful breed and fits the profile of what you are looking for.

If not, PLEASE consider adopting an older shelter cat. With kitten season in full swing, SOOOOOO many older cats are being passed by.

Please, keep me posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I too would look for an Older Cat at a Shelter.
    A Cat who needs a Second Chance and would love Your Furr Ever if you gave Him a home,with Two Pals and You as his new Guardians.
    You will never regret it and will be paid back a Million Fold in LOVE!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Gary,

You will never regret it and will be paid back a Million Fold in LOVE!!!
    Right on!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I would visit a shelter, too. It sounds as if you are extremely open and flexible to the kind of cat you adopt, so long as the cat seems likely to be able to get along with your other animals. Often the shelter will be able to tell you something about the animal's history, if the animal has been brought in by previous owners. Good luck in finding a cat that fits right into your home and heart.

Quote Originally Posted by G535
    If I was looking for another cat I'd spend a lot of time at the local shelters and look for a cat who wants to adopt me!
    Good idea! That should have been my first idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2yjx
    G535 has the RIGHT idea!!! There are TOO MANY wonderful cats languishing at shelters!!! Their lives are on the time line, and too many are put to death. Find a shelter in your area and visit!!! You may even fine a purebred that someone ditched! A cat rescued from the shelter will be grateful for the rest of their life to you for saving them!!! I know, we have had shelter cats snd they are the BEST!!!
    Like I said, that should have been my first idea. All of our other pets have been adopted (including Soni who was 1.5 lbs when we picked him up off the streets) but I guess I was just looking to expand my options.

From my experience I have found that many of the adult cats in shelters tend to have alot of the little growing pains already taken care of. As for my favorite type of cat to bring into a home that is loving is a Male Orange Tabbies I can't tell you how many people I have talked to that say the same exact things about the orange tabby kitties. My orange guy is a BIG mommas boy just an absolute sweet heart. People in general tell me that they often want to take my orange guy home with them. I can't express enough how many orange cats that I have run into that are down right the sweetest cats that I have ever been around. Hope I was of help. Definitely check out your local humane society there will be plenty of kitties that need homes. When I went up to pick up my latest foster kitty I only fell TOTALLY in love with like 3 of them. So your decision won't be to hard

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    I don't how close you are to California, but Ruth is looking for a home for her relative's purebred Maine Coon, whose owner just passed away and the family can't keep because of an aggressive dog.

Here's the link:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=102142

If you live in the area, or there's anyway a transport can be set up, PLEASE consider adopting Emily. The Maine Coon is a wonderful breed and fits the profile of what you are looking for.

If not, PLEASE consider adopting an older shelter cat. With kitten season in full swing, SOOOOOO many older cats are being passed by.

Please, keep me posted.
    Unfortunately, we live in Louisiana. =(

Wow! Yes! I would love to adopt an older and/or special needs cat. That is probably what I will do. I am not necessarily looking for a purebred but if someone suggests a particular breed, like the Maine Coon, then I will look at the shelters for one or maybe go to a breeder. All of the cats I have ever had have most definitely been mixes. I don't mean to be making a big deal out of it, I am just curious how mixes and purebreds are different besides looks, genetic defects,etc, basically temperament-wise. Isis is a Siamese-Ragdoll mix and I have no idea what Soni is. We believe Soni might be part Ragdoll but that is because he is just unbelievably affectionate and lets you hold him and mess with him in every which way. He's pretty great.

It's surprising how many purebreds you can find in a shelter. But I think all the shelter cats are purebred love!

Quote Originally Posted by Beauty17
    I would visit a shelter, too. It sounds as if you are extremely open and flexible to the kind of cat you adopt, so long as the cat seems likely to be able to get along with your other animals. Often the shelter will be able to tell you something about the animal's history, if the animal has been brought in by previous owners. Good luck in finding a cat that fits right into your home and heart.
    Thank you! Yep, I am not too picky about my kitty just as so long as it will get along with the two that I already have. Besides, I don't give up easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    It's surprising how many purebreds you can find in a shelter. But I think all the shelter cats are purebred love!
    I know, it really is! My husband and I have this medium haired, tuxedo male, who is approx. ten months old. He is so sweet. He loves people. He'll jump in your lap, sleep with you in bed, gives kisses and love nips. He also likes to put his paw on your mouth as if to say, "Shush, don't talk, dahling." . He is, however, EXTREMELY weird in his fascination with opening doors and sitting in cookware. He used to sleep in our second crock pot which sat on the floor for his convenience. When we got him, the vet estimated he was 4 to 6 weeks old, he was 1.5 lbs, he was dirty, and had two puncture wounds (that were starting to abcess) in his side. He followed us up the stairs (We lived in a quadplex) to our door. See, it was my birthday and we had just come back from my parents house and there he was, sitting on the porch in all his cute little kitten-ness. Want to know another little tidbit? That was exactly three weeks to the day after the very sudden death of our Tier (who happened to look exactly like Soni minus the dot on the nose and the longer fur). Pics: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nie/IMG15A.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nie/IMG00A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by heidiv
    From my experience I have found that many of the adult cats in shelters tend to have alot of the little growing pains already taken care of. As for my favorite type of cat to bring into a home that is loving is a Male Orange Tabbies I can't tell you how many people I have talked to that say the same exact things about the orange tabby kitties. My orange guy is a BIG mommas boy just an absolute sweet heart. People in general tell me that they often want to take my orange guy home with them. I can't express enough how many orange cats that I have run into that are down right the sweetest cats that I have ever been around. Hope I was of help. Definitely check out your local humane society there will be plenty of kitties that need homes. When I went up to pick up my latest foster kitty I only fell TOTALLY in love with like 3 of them. So your decision won't be to hard
    Heh, I am such a sucker for animals it is not even funny. I had one orange tabby, who was picked up off of the streets, named Oliver for obvious reasons. He was a big sweetheart. He got run over a couple of years ago, though after having lived with my aunt. =(