Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera thoughts???

Digital Camera thoughts???

With my income tax refund, I'm hoping to purchase a digital camera. First, just let me tell you that I know absolutely nothing about them. I searched Pet Talk to find all the threads and it seems that most of you are happy with either Sony or Canon.

Two days ago I signed up for ebay and have since been checking out the "goods" and now I'm more confused as ever.

I will not:
    be taking many action shots
    be printing off the photos myself
    be using them for making siggies (I'll leave that for the experts)

I want:
    the largest lcd screen that I can get
    viewfinder
    Lots of zoom
    a way of recharging the batteries
    ability to take movies with sound
    pictures clear enough to post on PT

I also spotted a comment in one of the threads a couple of years ago where Debbie (T&P) was saying that she spoke to an expert and apparently 2.0 mp is all the average person needs.

Some friends of mine have an Olympus and I found it rather user-friendly, took good pictures, but I found it hard to see with the small lcd screen. It has a way of taking the battery pack out and recharging it. That's the feature I liked the most.

I have been comparison shopping for the last year and I really don't like those little teeny tiny ones. I really like the feel of the Canon Powershot with that right-hand grip. It's just the right size for my hands.

Anyway, just thought I would get everyone's feedback. Thanks for your advice.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

They don't make 2 mp anymore, at least not many of them! To print a clear 8x10 you need 3.2 mp.

I shoot Olympus. All my cameras, including the film SLR are Olympus. I would recommend you check out one of the Stylus series. I have a Stylus 800. It's the one I carry when I'm out with the dogs so you have seen lots of it's pictures! It's pocket-sized, weather proof, takes movies with sound, has lots of adjustments for a point and shoot style camera. It also has a huge LCD screen, almost the entire back of the camera. It has no tradtional viewfinder at all though. Very user friendly too. The battery charger is included. The battery life is exceptional too.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I use a Casio, which is the only type of digital camera I have ever used. Our previous one was a Casio too. It is a nice size, not too small, good size screen, does have a viewfinder (which I can't get out of the habit of using). The battery charger came with it and it lasts for so long between charges that I can't tell you exactly how long it lasts. The zoom on it is great. I will have to try to find the manual to find out if it records sound with movies. I've never looked for that feature! I find it a very simple camera to operate and I would take more photos if the girls were more co-operative!

How about the Canon A430? It's 4MP, has movie mode, macro, and 15(?)I think, scene modes, not sure about LCD, but it runs about $179.99 US.
    Here it is straight from the Canon site.
    Canon Powershot A430
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Slick, I agree with Glacier concerning Olympus. John bought an Olympus C5060 a few years ago - however, that will be too big for your use. Glacier had the same one before she got the new later one - and you can just tell she knows about quality too.

Canon is also know for it's good optics.

Take a look at some of the features of the differnt ones here: www.dpreview.com

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Slick, I agree with Glacier concerning Olympus. John bought an Olympus C5060 a few years ago - that was the one Glacier had, before she got the new one - and you can just tell she knows about quality too.

Canon is also know for it's good optics.

Take a look at some of the features of the differnt ones here: www.dpreview.com

I still use my C-5060 lots! I love that camera. It's got tons of settings and adjustments. It's just hard to carry on the dogsled!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Glacier, your new one is considerable smaller, isn't it? Do you have a picture of it? How is it pricewise, compared to the other?

As you may know, John was a professional photographer, along with his studio cameras, he has always had an Olympus.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Glacier, your new one is considerable smaller, isn't it? Do you have a picture of it? How is it pricewise, compared to the other?
    I don't have a pic of mine, but this is the DP review link. It's exactly like this one.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusstylus800/

It is much smaller than the 5060. I can just drop this one in my pocket. I also like the weatherproof body. I don't have to worry about getting some snow or water on it.

I paid about 500 canadian for the Stylus. I paid about 700 for the 5060. It's price had come down quite a bit from the time it was released. I think I bought it just after Olympus released the new version of it. (Also things tend to be about 20-30% more expensive up here so both cameras are probably available cheaper down South.)
    --John Irving

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I'd go with the Canon. I have the A510 Powershot and LOVE it. You can use either rechargeable or regular batteries in mine. The rechargeable ones last a really long time, I'm finding out. It also does everything else you're asking for. Be careful, you want OPTICAL zoom, not Digital.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Canon! Canon! LOL. But really, I think one of the Canon Powershots would suit you nicely. The LCD screen is a decent size. My two older powershot models have 3x optical zoom (optical is the one you want. Digital zoom means nothing). I haven't looked into the newer models but I'd imagine that they'd have the same, if not more. As for batteries, they use AA's (my two use four of them.. but again, I'm not sure what the newer models use though I'd imagine it'd be the same). Movies have sound and the picture quality is amazing!

And you're right, the average person doesn't need anything higher than 2mp but it's very rare to find a new 2mp camera in stores these days. I've seen quite a few ads on buysell.com for some of the older canon models (Canon A60, A70, A75, A95).. all would suit your needs.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Wow, thanks for all of your responses. There is alot to think about.

Glacier, I looked up yours and it does look good. I can forgo the viewfinder if the lcd is big enough. Thanks for that website. I'll check it out...like the fact there are consumer reviews on there. That will help out alot with my decision.

Randi, Lord knows I don't intend to be a professional so I need something that's idiot-proof. Too many options and I get confoozzled. I guess it's pretty much a point and shoot I'm looking at for my first one.

RH and BN: Thanks. I didn't know the difference between optical and digital zoom. I was under the impression that cameras with AA batteries were a pain in the rear because you go through sooooo many batteries. True or not?? I also didn't know about buysell.com so will check that out as well.

I'm heading out for a bit and will check out your links when I get back. I've spend mega hours on the computer in the last couple of days....I need some fresh air. Buying from ebay...I have to remember that buying from the US will cost me more with the exchange, and I will have to pay duty when I pick it up from the PO. One thing I forgot to add is that I want something that I can take real closeup shots with.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I was under the impression that cameras with AA batteries were a pain in the rear because you go through sooooo many batteries. True or not??
    I use rechargeable batteries and I don't have any problems. I have two sets so it's easy to rotate them. I usually keep one in the camera and the other set in my camera bag so if they stop working I can just change them. Then when I get home I stick the set I took out back in the charger and let them charge.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    One thing I forgot to add is that I want something that I can take real closeup shots with.
    Canon's work well for that, especially if you use Macro.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    I was under the impression that cameras with AA batteries were a pain in the rear because you go through sooooo many batteries. True or not?? I also didn't know about buysell.com so will check that out as well.
    If I'm constantly using the camera, a set of batteries will last 2-3 days.I don't use my camera as much anymore so it seems to last a week or two.

Canons are AWESOME for closeup shots. I've got some really amazing shots of my bettas with my canons.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

The Canon camera I have (a Powershot) has rechargable batteries and comes with the charger, which you just plug into any wallsocket. I have two batteries, so for things like the Pet Talk gathering in Findlay, I can have one battery recharging while I'm taking a ton of pictures with the other. Usually I can go a month without needing to recharge my battery for the camera. But it charges up quickly, which is great for such events.

I like the form factor (fits in my hand just right, is small enough to always be in my pocketbook just in case, and feels sturdy), it has a nice big LCD screen on the back, and I have never needed to use the viewfinder. The LCD screen is so much better, but you REALLY see what you're about to get. It does a great job on close-ups, as long as I remember to hold still. The glory of a digital camera is you can take 5 terrible photos in order to get the one great one, and it doesn't cost you a thing!