Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Dogs

Hunting Dogs

This topic can be a bit controversial for some folks (although I do not believe it warrants a place in the "Dog House" along with Scooby4's Dating Rituals). While I know that we all love our dogs and are general all-around pet enthusists, it is a fact that some dogs (in fact, quite a few) were bred to hunt. And yes... they are hunting other animals.

My dog Ginger is a Beagle. She is a wonderful companion and an excellent house pet. She is very well behaved, does tricks & doesn't bark (ironically). BUT there is nothing... absolutely nothing that makes her happier than being able to run free in the fields, beating the bushes and thrashing through the brush - totally intent upon finding a rabbit!

I am no longer a Hunter (per se), but I used to hunt frequently with my father. Growing up my father always had Beagles as he was an avid hunter. He taught us to love and respect nature. He also taught his boys to hunt. As a family, we did not have much (in the way of money) and so any game that we bagged was cleaned, processed and prepared as food. Rabbit, Pheasant and Deer (processed and frozen) sure helped to lower my Mom's bill at the market. To this day nothing makes me feel more relaxed than a brisk, sunny morning, walking in golden fields, smelling the fresh air and hearing a Beagle off in the distance howling. It reminds me of a simpler time. A time when my biggest worry "was for Christmas, what would be my toy" - thanks to Stevie Wonder for that line.

Some of you may not know about Beagles and their inherent drive to hunt. They are truly amazing and I thought you might be interested in knowing why and how they do it. Many breeds were bred for hunting - just look at an AKC breed chart to see how many. Because times have changed and many dogs were bred for show and as pets, some breeds have lost most of their original intended traits in favor of more current desirable ones. This is, in a way a bit of a shame, as their original traits and abilities were so incredibly remarkable.

I won't bore you with details about the Beagle's history as all of this is readily available at breed info sites. I will suffice to say that the Beagle is one of the oldest hunting breeds, originating in England and spreading across Europe. What I would like to emphasize in my ramblings are the current common misconceptions about this breed and the myths associated with hunting them.

You can only hunt with or make house pets out of your Beagle:
    Not true... my Dad used to swear by this. My Ginger is a wonderful housedog and is first and foremost a housepet... BUT SHE IS A HUNTING CHAMP - one of the best hunters I've ever seen.

If you allow your dog to hunt, it will be aggressive and unfriendly:
    A Beagle on a scent is intent upon only one thing - finding and keeping that scent trail. But it's howls and barking are not one of rage or anger, but rather a deep, instinctive almost feverish drive to find it's game. If stopped and taken off the trail, a Beagle will soon calm down and be licking your face and hands and just wanting to be loved and loving you.

Your Beagle wants to tear that rabbit apart:
    Actually, when confronted with a rabbit that won't run, a Beagle is often puzzled and doesn't know what to do. Many a rabbit was brought back to my father unhurt and in a Beagle's mouth. Dropped at his feet with a sort of "I dunno" look from the dog. "He won't play".

Some general information and some photos to follow:
    Beagles trail by scent. They rarely look up and as a consequence of that fact, they almost never really "see" the rabbit. Occasionally a rabbit will sit tight, and when a dog or a pack is scurriedly canvassing the area, they will "jump" the rabbit... and off they go. The dogs feverishly chase the hare, but shortly the rabbit will outrun them and they will quickly return to trailing (smelling the ground for the rabbit's scent). Beagles will hunt ALL DAY. Nothing makes them happier. They will run until they can't stand anymore. Of course, a responsible owner will never let them do this. Some people worry about the firing of guns when hunting and the subsequent danger to the dogs. Actually, the proximity of dogs to rabbit is rarely ever close. The rabbit stays well in advance of the pursuing hounds and will continue to move ahead as he hears the dogs getting closer. A bagged rabbit is often shot, cleaned and field dressed before the trailing dogs finally catch up.

Another almost always misunderstood trait of a Beagle is his notorious howl while on a trail. A trailing hound lets out a crazy, I am soooooo-awwhh-awh-roooo excited howl like you've never heard. Many people hearing this for the first time actually think something is wrong. I mean, really wrong. I once had a lady (who was jogging by a field I was in) ask me what I was doing to my dog. When I said nothing and tried to explain, she said, "I think your dog is hurt". I said no, that he was chasing a rabbit. She said, "he is most definitely not", she could see him and he was barking "at the ground"!!! She demanded that I go get him and when I refused she left and threatened to report me to the Humane Society.

So enough about Beagles - time for the photos. Ginger and I went out this morning in a nearby field that we frequent on nice days before heading off to work. Following are some shots (photoshots) of our outing:

Robins and Blossoms are the first sign of Spring in SW PA

This is how a Beagle reacts to an open field... START SMELLING AROUND

Uhh Ohhh... I think I'm smelling something here...
    (Here's where my tail starts wagging and swishing wildly)

WHIPPEEEE!!! Which way did dey go... which way did dey go...

Now I'm trailin... check out my tail!!!

Ohhh... now I gotta scream (bay), "look out rabbit, here I come"

Although I ran the rabbit past my Dad many times
    He was only able to get one shot... ONE SHOT???
    No... not a gunshot - one camera shot of the rabbit,
    so you can see how hard it is to get a good clear view of a running rabbit!!!

On the way out of the field (a dog's gotta go to work sometime)
    I met a new friend. He told me that he (well not he, but his grandparents)
    used to herd animals, but that he likely would not chase a rabbit. BOY...
    he doesn't know what he is missing!!! :
    Last edited by BOBS DAD; 03-31-2006 at 02:27 PM.

wow!

I never knew a lot of that info - THANKS for passing it along!!!

And Thanks for the Demo, Ginger!!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Hunting Dogs

Great story & pictures.. Just love these babies..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

WOW!!! Who knew??? Ginger sure looks like she knows what she's doing. Neighbors of ours used to have Beagles when I was growing up. I used to hear those Awhrooos that you described. Now I know what they were saying. Thanks for the interesting and informative post!!!

Ginger sure is beautiful I have a friend who has 8 beagles all for hunting (they have lots and lots of land) but they are house pets as well and they are ADORABLE!

I too think it's a shame that dogs are being bred moreso for conformation than for their original purpose. Luka (Lab) has no drive to be out in the field. She'll retrieve the bird but she would rather not. Nova and Buck (also Labs) on the other hand still have that drive.

Here is a shot of Nova on her first time out in the field - she was 6 months old.

I am going to start training both Nova and Buck for hunt tests in a few weeks. Nova is never happier than when she is out with the birds! Buck likes his frozen birds so far so I think I've got another hunting dog on my hands

that a great story. i never really got into huntng. i just couldn't make myself kill anything. my dad is getting ready to go on his first turkey huntng trip. he's getting really into hunting dogs as wel.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Sarah... I love your labs. I love seeing dogs perform as they were originally intended. Whether it's for field trials, food gamimg or simply recreation. You have beautiful dogs!!!

And Luke... I still love to go out hunting with my Dad (and I even carry my shotgun), but I can't rember the last rabbit I shot. Oh, I figure I probably shoot a few each year and clean them and prepare a stew. But I usually just let them run past. I don't have the need or desire any longer and my kids won't eat them (although they will all eat Grandpaps deer hot sausage - he has the best spices and sauce). I just find it therapeutic to walk the fields and think about what used to be!!!

I only have one pic of t.j hunting and thats in our own yard at the neighbors chickens...............I never go hunting with my dad so I never take pics of t.j actually hunting

sadly I only have this one of t.j with the dog of the day logo, somehow the original one got deleted.

Ginger is so beautiful!!!
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Ginger is gorgeous, we definatley don't get to see enough of her!!!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I'm not a hunter to kill but I take Autumn out to chase birds, she loves it. She was a born hunter, she brought me a live goldfinch from our birdfeeder area one day. It was sitting just fine in her mouth with no injuries. She also points and has since she was a puppy. I take her out to the park near us and let her go after pigeons. We have a lot of pigeon racers by our house and we once picked up a stray young bird with a wing injury and returned it to the owner. I would love to take her to field trials if I had the time. I think it is a great way to nurture a dog by allowing them to do what they are bred for. You don't even have to hurt animals in the process.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

A very interesting post, and great pics. I totally get what you are saying. Schnauzers were first bred in the 16th century as guard dogs for merchants wagons. No-one and I mean absolutley no-one comes near our place without Oggy being aware of it. Which is quite comforting actually.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

Very interesting post! Great pics of Ginger, she is so adorable! I suppose Sam is a Cocker Spaniel, and that is a hunting dog. Most cockers are pets nowadays. He is not a hunting dog but there nothing more he likes then getting out and having a good chase after a squirrel! I know Cockers were bred for flushing out the woodcock, but I don't know what flushing out means. Anyone know?

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    I know Cockers were bred for flushing out the woodcock, but I don't know what flushing out means. Anyone know?
    my dad told me it just means scaring the birds so they fly, so people can shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatcoatluver
    my dad told me it just means scaring the birds so they fly, so people can shoot them.
    Oh ok, thanks! That sounds right.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*