Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Your Dog Universally Loved?

Is Your Dog Universally Loved?

And by that I mean, people who've gotten a chance to really interact with your dog, like family and friends and such. Not people for example, who walk by you on the street and instantly decide because he's Black or a Pit Bull or something similar, that he's not likable.

For mine, Maddie and Oz, especially Oz, have charmed the pants off of just about everybody they meet. They have that special *it*, that people are just drawn too. Oz even manages to win over non-dog people.

Recently, Oz got a huge compliment from my Uncle. He's a country man, with a farm and he's particular about dogs. They should have a working purpose in his mind. He's not much for phoo-phoo dogs. He spent the day with Oz and me and at the end of the day, he told me what a great dog Oz was. Wow, getting that kind of respect from my Uncle was surprising to say the least.

Now with Murph and Gull, especially Gull, it's not so much that people dislike them, but they don't seem to garner the same level of gushiness as Oz and Maddie. There have been occasions where somebody has raved about Murph, but it's rarer and poor Gull, pretty much non-existent for him.

Gull is really bonded to me and I seem to be the only one who appreciates his uniqueness. Like he loves to greet people, by running through their legs for butt scratchies. He's harpooned many a person in the crotch with his nose, when they weren't ready for the run through their legs. You'd be surprised how many people, especially men, don't appreciate that greeting.

I know that nobody will ever love Gull as deeply as I do or get as big a kick out of his antics, so in some ways that gives us a very deep bond. The same applies to Murph. I had a friend tell me once, she couldn't get as close to Murph as she could to Maddie, because Murph wouldn't ever take his eyes off me and focus on her.

As special as Maddie and Oz are, I know they'd have fit in with anybody that would have been lucky enough to get them in their family. With Murph and Gull though, they make me feel like the special one, because they only have eyes for me.

So how about your puppers?

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Of my dogs Jamie is the favorite among my friends just because she is so outgoing and loves to play. Charlie on the otherhand is favored by my family members only because he was around them long enough to warm up to them, so he will let them pet him and stuff. And they have also been around him long enough to see him open up and just be plain goofy!!

I have never had anyone who is in my life not like my dogs. Even strangers on the street think they are so nice nad pretty!! Except a guy downstairs, Jamie barked at him while I was walking her, he got scared!! Jamie, of all dogs, he got scared and thought she would bite him!! I told him the worse that would happen is he would get licked to death.. he didn't find it funny

facebook

With my family (the older ones, like Aunts and Uncles..) Shadow is the favorite. I think they like how she is so easy going, very quiet and will sit nicely to be petted.

With my friends and little kids (like my cousins) Jack is the favorite because he is always so excited about everything, incredibly outgoing and he loves to play or perform tricks for them.

ETA:

Micki, Mini and Kyra are not universally loved

Kyra is very standoffish when she first meets somebody and takes a LONG time to actually warm up (helps if you happen to have a bouncy ball )

Micki is very talkative and likes to woof at you until you acknowledge his presence. People generally don't understand and just think its annoying.

And Mini is completely devoted to my dad and may seem standoffish to other people. She is truely a one person dog
    Last edited by k9krazee; 03-28-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Everybody loves them both!
    My family is always asking how they are
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Everybody loves Dusty because he is a character and is always ready to play. He also loves to cuddle no matter where he's at and with whomever he's with.

Dixie is loved by everyone in the family because she is just a special girl! With friends she is more aloof unless they are willing to rub her paws.

I have to say No.

Most of my family think we are nuts to have two big dogs. Two big HAIRY dogs! What were we thinking blah, blah, blah. We don't have visitors often so no one really sees them. My mom seems terrified of them which I find odd because we have always had dogs, but I guess they were always small to medium size dogs. I never knew bigger dogs scared her. My dad thinks they are beautiful, but that we are still crazy. They LIKE the dogs but there is no love. It made me and Alden sad the other day when we found out his mom and dad were in town and had thought about stopping by but were afraid the dogs might hurt his dad (his dad is very frail and ill). Geesh, the first thing we would have done would be to put the dogs outside or put up the gate and confine them to the kitchen/dining room. I can't take my dogs to anyone's house. We do go to my folks place once in awhile to run the fields and they do go inside for a bit but I can feel my mom tense up partly because she is scared of them and partly because they might get her house hairy and dirty..lol. I mostly keep them outside when I take them out there.

I have to add that Katie goes completely nuts over my mom. She licks, paws and noses her to death. She seems to love her. I always have to tell her to leave Grandma alone..lol. I wonder if this is because she senses my mom's submissive behavior around her and its her way of dominating her. Is there something to that?

mostly yes. Everyone loves Star, because she is so charming, and she's a really a "people" dog. She loves to look into your eyes with her big beautiful blue eyes, and she's very "gracious" and well-behaved. my son is the ony one that can get away with treating her like a baby, picking her up to carry around, & all. she doesn't like it, but she tolerates it from him. I don't think I've ever had anyone say they don't like her.
    People like Sherman, too but he is more naturally shy and wary than Star, so he tends to hang back. He's my velcro pup. It just takes people a little longer to get to know him. He's a gentle soul, he grows on people.
    Ah, then there was my Rosie girl! I loved that dog like she was my long lost baby, but she drove everyone else nuts! The chewing, the digging, the barking, the licking... my goofy girl! Gosh I miss her! IWhen friends got to know her better, they liked her too, but still thought she was a pain.

Marta is the canine equivalent of a social butterfly, so yes, most people really like her. She LOVES everyone she meets, especially children and the elderly. I'm not really sure why since she wasn't especially socialized to these groups of people but she's very gentle with kids, and has been to visit older relatives in nursing homes, where she's always a hit. One of my cousins kids who is scared of dogs loves Marta and even bought her a christmas present!

Adele is well liked by close family members and friends- people who can really get to know her. I have to admit she is very obnoxious when you meet her. She jumps up and loves to lick, she will just lick, lick, lick. Usually I put her in her crate when new people come over until she is settled down (or she will knock them over) and introduce her slowly. She gets really excited.

Anyone that have really gotten to know Zeke and Josie, tend to really like them. My uncle, who hates dogs, has even patted them quickly on the head. I think people generally like Zeke better, however. He is very social, and will push his way on to you and make you pat him. If you don't, then he sticks his nose under your hand so it goes on his head. He is very silly, but very gentle and lovable.

Josie is the biggest sweety, but usually, you need to know her. She isn't always good around strangers. Zeke almost always pushes her out of the way, and almost always the people stop patting her and pat Zeke. She always gives up and looks from the side lines. I literally have to make zeke sit and stay to allow Josie some attention. I guess that might be why people seem to like him more? Because she is a very sweet, loving dog herself.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

My dog Winnie gets a lot of attention for her looks. She is a lab mix but smaller than most labs. Her ears stand straight up, and her reddish brown color seems to be unusual to most people that meet her. Right away they comment on her color, all kinds of people, people we know, random strangers, etc. They always get a kick out of her ears.
    They notice Lily is very calm, and she'll sit right away upon meeting people so she thinks she gets a treat. They unfortunately notice she's a bit overweight at this point. We are working on that!

Well... Buddy doesn't have the best interaction with my family, lol He goes crazy and jumps all over everyone. Well, to my cousins and friends he is loved to death, but to the adults in my family, they think he's crazy!

Georgia...she is definetly loved to death by friends and family! My grandma just LOVES her, and my friends and the kids in my family LOVE playing with her!!! My uncle loves having her over to play with his Labrador. And everyone else just loves her to death.

Alaska... same with Georgia. Except the my uncle Because he humps his purebred Lab everytime he sees her

Ripley and Happy are loved by all, Happy has a ton of friends who are petrified of all other dogs, dogsport people love her structure and speed, pet people love her personality and obedience, anti-dog people love her because she is so calm and well behaved. Ripley is loved because he is cute. simple as that, he is adorable and everyone falls in love with him instantlyweather is be any random person off the street or people who get to know him, this is a dog that has his own personal fan clubs all over the country, people who will come to flyball tournys for no other reason then to see Ripley lol

Blair is very much disliked, with him you either love him or hate him. many people hate him, a few people love him. its just because his skittishness it to the extreme, there are some people he will not let get close to him so those people just assume that he is ALWAYS jumpy and barking and biting, and wonder how we can possably like him lol

Misty is liked by most people, some people simpley dont like that she is so affectionate, but most people love her lol

Perky, either she likes you or she does'nt lol if she likes you your in luck and she is very sweet and you will be allowed to like her, however if she does not like you, ya mid as well forget it lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I had to think about the answer. I guess it's yes and no, depending on the situation. I'm sure people aren't thrilled walking by our house and getting barked at, or come in and (depending if she knows you) also getting a woof or 2. But, once company is in and seated, Logan will walk over, sometimes shyly for a heine rub or head pat, then sits calm and quietly and watches the going ons. She's still a bit frightened of strange or new situations, thanks to her previous life, but everyone does remark how beautiful and smart and sweet she is and how much she's changed. Her best behavior is when I'm around. She never likes me out of her sight. I'm so in love, I can't endure it sometimes.

I've been Boooo'd!

Gonzo is just like Charlie strangers say he's really sweet, but my family raves over him... he would lay down his life for any of our family and close friends, and they all say he's the best. Even my Grandma, who otherwise only appreciates Poodles and Corgis.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Tobey knows how to turn on the charm - head on one side, ears up, tail wagging
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk