Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new addition- help and pics

new addition- help and pics

There was an auction this weekend and I missed all the horses because I was at school. Well after school my dad and I went to look at all the horses that were already sold- I was dissapointed that my dad didn't buy one. Well I came across this gorgous paint filly. I told my dad how she is soo pretty and my dad goes "Happy Birthday". He got me her!!! I was sooooo excited I swear I was about to burst. I wanted a horse ever since I was 5 years old, and now I finally got one! Each of her eyes are blue and brown. I am not sure if she is a pony or horse... if you know then please tell me. btw she's 2 years old.

This is what I need help on. She is EXTREMLY scared of everything. She won't approach you and she bucks at everything. Well once you finally get her on a lead rope, she is a little more calm and everything. Today I put her on a rope that was tied to a post so I could groom her. She spooked and started bucking and went in circles around me and tied the rope around my stomach. I have never been so frightened in my entire life. My dad helped me out and she kept bucking and the rope was tied around her legs. She finally calmed down and my dad unhooked her so she was free. I can't get close enough to check for injuries, although she seems just fine. How do I get her to trust people?!? This is what auctions do to horses, it's so sad. Anyways, advice would be appreciated... we are taking things slow right now. I know she just needs to get used to all the animals and Jack and such.

Her half blue eye....

Last edited by dab_20; 03-26-2006 at 09:58 PM.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Awww she is so pretty!!! I can't help though, just wanted to tell you she is pretty
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by Flatcoatluver
    Awww she is so pretty!!! I can't help though, just wanted to tell you she is pretty
    Thanks. She is gorgous. I wish I could acctually get close enough to touch her when I want though. It all takes patience I guess.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I'm not a horse pro, but I think it has to be 12-14 hands high to be a horse & well she is nowhere near that big, so shes a pony

Chances are she was abused or neglected in her 2 yrs. So in her eyes humans = pain.. Instead of petting her, why not just walk her on a long lead, so she can be away from you, but slowly get to know you. I wouldn't talk to her yet, as your voice might make her think your going to yell & then hit her. Once shes comfy with you walking her at the end of her lead, make the lead a foot shorter & so on.

Mu old friend bought an abused horse & it took us a month to be able to get on him. & then a nother few months to get him to stop bucking & running wild in fear.. We always had a lead on him & 1 person would hold it tight & the other would work with him.

I think you might want to become her friend before brushing her, as getting a kick or 2 is quite painful & ugly!

She is beautiful!

A pony is anything 14.2 hh and under.

Next time you groom her, do not tie her up! Hold her lead rope with one hand and groom with the other. When a horse is tied up and is frightened, they can't get away and they start to panic even more. She could injure herself or you while trying to get away.

Is she kept in a pasture or a stall? What are you planning on doing with her in the future? Is she going to be trained for you to ride or just more of a pet?

She does sound like she wasn't treated right at her old home. Just give her lots of love and carrots! Make sure that you are out there with her not just when its time to groom, etc. Go out and just sit with her, but let her come to you. Get her used to seeing you around and let her always make the first move. The one thing you don't want to do is start to build up trust and than try to rush things and all that trust is gone.

Once she trusts you, you can start to get her used to objects that she was afraid of. Let her come and sniff and touch the object with her nose. I would do that in her pasture so that she can come and see whatever it is when she wants to. If you are going to ride her someday, let her see and touch the saddle, bridle, saddle pad, etc. so she becomes familiar with it.

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

What a beauty! I am jealous!!!!

Thanks for the replies. When she is on a lead rope, it's weird because she tries to get as close to you as she can. So much that she almost pushes you over. And when she's off the lead rope she gets as far away as she can. (unless you have food ) She stays in a stall with Jack. (my donkey) And all the other animals can go in the stall. We just gated off half the barn for them. She might become a riding pony, only for me because my dad is too big. But only if she really trusts us, maybe in a year or two.

I only go see her twice a month during the school year because I don't live with my dad. He will spend as much time with her as he can. My dad holds the lead rope and brushes her just so she'll get used to it. We only do her body now, because it will probably scare her if we do her legs or face. She was able to sniff the brush and was pretty ok with it. Thanks again for the advice.

ps Any name suggestions?? I was thinking about Diamond because she's got a diamond on her forhead. But I'm not sure if I like it because it is so common.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

She looks like a Rose to me
    or
    Poka-Butt hehehe, I called my friends horse Poka-Butt hehehe

new addition - help & pics

Aweee the new baby is adorable && **** CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BABY && HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAY ***

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

It stinks that you'll only get to see her twice a year. Will you see her more during the summer because summer isn't too far away!

I got so caught up in trying to help you, I forgot to congratulate you on getting her and wish you a happy birthday.

I'm horrible with names...I'll have to think of some suggestions. Diamond is a cute name. If you really like it I wouldn't worry too much about how common it is.

http://www.horses-and-horse-informat...enames/i.shtml

That website has a bunch of horse names that you could look through. Some of them seem more like show names, but you could always shorten the name.

-the zoo crew-
    thatDARNhorse <3

Quote Originally Posted by chrissycat21
    It stinks that you'll only get to see her twice a year. Will you see her more during the summer because summer isn't too far away!

I got so caught up in trying to help you, I forgot to congratulate you on getting her and wish you a happy birthday.

I'm horrible with names...I'll have to think of some suggestions. Diamond is a cute name. If you really like it I wouldn't worry too much about how common it is.

http://www.horses-and-horse-informat...enames/i.shtml

That website has a bunch of horse names that you could look through. Some of them seem more like show names, but you could always shorten the name.

Thanks. I see her twice a month, not year. lol, yes in the summer I am with my dad much more often, probably about 3 times a week. Thanks for that website, I will have to look through it.

I like the name Rose, that's cute. Thanks so much everyone!

EDIT- I was looking at names and I like 'Painted Beauty'. What do you guys think about that name?
    Last edited by dab_20; 03-27-2006 at 12:32 PM.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I really like the name Rose!!It suits her so well! I think I would have fainted if my parents got me a pony for my birthday! Just keep at her and give her treats when she is good she will soon associate you with food and food = good lol. Grooming her is a great way to get her used to you. You said she'll come to you when you have food , well then bring food every time you go to get her.

She is a pony because Trigger is just 13 something and hes pritty tall, she is smaller then you wich means shes smaller then Trigger . Ponies are VERY stubborn though so she'll need alot of working. Trigger is 6 and hes been ridden since he was 3 and he STILL bucks! He's so naughty.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Do not let her push you! That's a very bad habit, if she pushes you push her back, but don't hurt her since most likely she was abused. She reminds me of my old Hackney Pony, Rodeo, sounds just like him. I talked to his owners now and they said he's doing good. He just needed someone that knew how to teach him they were the boss and what not.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Yeah, my dad told me to push back, and I do. She also starts walking too fast when on a lead rope. My dad told me if she does walk too fast a turn her in a tight circle and start walking again. He says she'll soon get the point that if she walks too fast or trots then she will get nowhere.

I was wondering what kind of pony she is. I am thinking American Shetland pony, because they look like little horses, not as much pony like... which my pony is. But I need to know how many hands high she is, anyone have a clue from those pics? I am 5' 3" btw.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Whoops..Twice a month is much better than twice a year! Sorry, I was reading kind of quickly.

I like the name Painted Beauty!

-the zoo crew-
    thatDARNhorse <3