Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hedgehog help

Hedgehog help

I live in a place where it gets cold in the winter and I know cold tempatures are bad for a hedgehog's health, but My hedgehog is very clamy and the room he is in isn't that cold. He is also limping...we're about to take him to the vet but, I was hoping anyone would have some advice because I don't want to lose him! Please help I would forever grateful!
    every one derseves a second chance espically animals!
    ADOPT TODAY!!!
    ~
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but rising every time we fall.

Hedgehogs are nocturnal

Keep in mind hedgehogs are nocturnal creatures. They also normally live in England under hedgerows. Hence the name "hedgehog". They are treated like nuisances there. So keep in mind the weather conditions found in England/Europe and try to keep the hedgehog into that temperature range. It isn't that far off from what we have here.
    You may want to add a warming light to the top of the cage but it could easily be a plain light bulb set up. I wouldn't go for the lizard type. A normal lightbulb gives off enough heat on it's own. Maybe get an office light. Anything less than 100 watts ought to do it.
    Keep in mind the hedgehog is a NOCTURNAL creature and is active at NIGHT. It prefers darker conditions. So the light may need to be filtered in a way as to just capture the heat but NOT the brightness.
    What type of cage covering are you using? Maybe it has a splinter in it's foot from the cedar shavings. You may want to try a different cage covering if it is wood. Maybe try artificial grass or something softer. Also give it a place to hide or a dark place. Similuate a hedge row. There is still light but not alot. Their eyes are sensitive to light.
    I love hedgehogs. I had one stuck in my hair once! It made an excellent comb!!! Good luck!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby4
    Keep in mind hedgehogs are nocturnal creatures. They also normally live in England under hedgerows. Hence the name "hedgehog". They are treated like nuisances there. So keep in mind the weather conditions found in England/Europe and try to keep the hedgehog into that temperature range. It isn't that far off from what we have here.
    You may want to add a warming light to the top of the cage but it could easily be a plain light bulb set up. I wouldn't go for the lizard type. A normal lightbulb gives off enough heat on it's own. Maybe get an office light. Anything less than 100 watts ought to do it.
    Keep in mind the hedgehog is a NOCTURNAL creature and is active at NIGHT. It prefers darker conditions. So the light may need to be filtered in a way as to just capture the heat but NOT the brightness.
    What type of cage covering are you using? Maybe it has a splinter in it's foot from the cedar shavings. You may want to try a different cage covering if it is wood. Maybe try artificial grass or something softer. Also give it a place to hide or a dark place. Similuate a hedge row. There is still light but not alot. Their eyes are sensitive to light.
    I love hedgehogs. I had one stuck in my hair once! It made an excellent comb!!! Good luck!
    Some hedgies sleep only part of the day. I am somewhat experinced with hedgies, as you can see in my sig my hedgie, Spike, recently passed away.

How warm is it in the room you keep him in? My hedgie was fine in a 65 degree room, although at least 70 degrees is best. I would try pm'ing jesse_3 about this, she knows alot about hedge hogs.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    Some hedgies sleep only part of the day. I am somewhat experinced with hedgies, as you can see in my sig my hedgie, Spike, recently passed away.

How warm is it in the room you keep him in? My hedgie was fine in a 65 degree room, although at least 70 degrees is best. I would try pm'ing jesse_3 about this, she knows alot about hedge hogs.
    what realy worries me is that I read the memorial for you hedgehog and it sounds excatally what Hateshi is going through
    ADOPT TODAY!!!
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Xio
    what realy worries me is that I read the memorial for you hedgehog and it sounds excatally what Hateshi is going through
    Does he seem sick? What other signs are there? Please bring him to the vet!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Well if Hateshi is just limping, that isn't what happened to Spike. Does she seem sick? What other signs are there?
    He is ice cold to the touch is sort of dumb struck and barely responds to being touched in ways that would make a healthy hedgehog curl up. when he is awake enough to move he pulls himself by his front legs and when offered insects just watches them with little intrest
    ADOPT TODAY!!!
    ~

Please get him to the vet ASAP. When are you able to bring him in??

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Please get him to the vet ASAP. When are you able to bring him in??
    He is already staying there over night
    ADOPT TODAY!!!
    ~

Oh, ok. Do they have any clue whats wrong with him?

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Oh, ok. Do they have any clue whats wrong with him?
    They said he might be diabetic I don't rember excally because I was crying
    ADOPT TODAY!!!
    ~

Maybe the best thing to do is take him into the vet and have him looked at just to be on the safe side...

I hope the overnight stay will solve his issues. If there is a way to treat him, he still might have a good life ahead of him

My snapper couldn't swim when I got him. He was sick & no vet could help.. but I kept giving him good foods & lots of love & look at him now! Hes now a 25+ monster & as sweet as can be. I am very glad your vet was willing to take in a heggie. My old vet didn't even want to take in my bleeding rat! She just wanted me to take it home & let it die on its own!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby4

Most hedgehogs that are pets are not the wild english hedgehogs, which are not often kept as pets. They are usually the African pygmy hedgehogs. While they are also nocturnal, they are not accustomed to the colder Northern climes.

I hope your hedgie is okay, and am glad he is at the vet's!

Pests!??

Most British people DO NOT think of hedgehogs as PESTS! We love to have them around as they eat bugs, slugs etc in the garden and save the plants. They are often befriended and fed saucers of milk to encourage their visiting. We even set up special places for them to cross roads on occasion. As Karen rightly noted however, British wild hedgehogs are a different variety from the pygmy African ones commonly sold as pets! I do hope your hedgie will recover and live a long and happy life.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

I thank you all for trying to help me But Hateshi-chan died a day ago
    ADOPT TODAY!!!
    ~