Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Cleaners

Vacuum Cleaners

Ok, so I'm thinking of getting a new vacuum cleaner. As much as I'd like a purple dyson, I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a vacuum. I saw a Hoover Fusion, which claims it outperforms dyson by 13%, and it's only about $130. So I thought I'd turn to my wonderful PT friends, and ask you all what kind of vacuums you use. Do you like what you have?

Well I now have (by accident) a Dirt Devil something or other. I'll run downstairs to see the exact model in a moment.

But every time I vacuum, and I can vacuum every day (that and we're getting into shedding season) but the canister is completely FULL of dog hair. This is good since I know its getting up the hair. It is MUCH better than our first vacuum that is for darned sure.

I borrowed this from my mom, and my friend forgot to take it with him when he went back in town to return it to my mom, so instead of worrying about getting it back she just said I could have it and she will buy herself a new one, lol.

All it says is that it is a Dirt Devil Featherlite Bagless so sorry if that doesn't help lol

facebook

I have a Hoover something or another. Not sure the exact model. I'm happy with it. I have all hard floors so I can tell it picks up the hair and dirt, plus the bag gets full with hair, dirt, dust and all that other yummy stuff that gets on the floor. I would like a Dyson but like you can't see myself spending that much money when the one I have now does the job well enough. I had a GE (I think that's what it was) before and I blew that one up. I hated that vacuum!!
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

I have a hoover now too, but I think it's starting to go. It's pretty old (as far as vacuums go ) and with all the animal hair I'd like something that works a little better. I'd like to try a bagless too, maybe. Thanks for the input!

We have a "central vacuum system". This means that the motor is in the garage; every room is connected with this motor, so all the dust goes to a container there! Believe me, this is GREAT!! No heavy vacuumer, and no dust being blown back in the room! This is great as we have 2 kids who are allergic to dust! This system isn't cheap; but when you are having a new house built, it is worth considering
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I have the Hoover Fusion. I doubt it out cleans the Dyson but it does a good job getting up hair. It has an attachment with it that works great on the furniture, it really gets off the hair. You have to clean the filters at least once a week or it will blow dust out. For the money, I have been real happy with mine.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

I just got a Dyson a few weeks ago and I love it. It makes me actually want to vacuum more. I couldn't dare spend full price so I got a refurbished one on Amazon much cheaper. It looks and acts like it's brand new. I caught it on a sale on President's Day plus they had an extra 10% in Feb. so it was a very very good deal.

From Decker with Love

Jen, I am so glad you posted this question. I decided this weekend that I needed a new vacuum because my old (inexpensive) Hoover seems to be refusing to pick up any more dog hair. I never thought of asking people with pets what they found works best. Thanks for asking.

I have two vaccuums. One is a Simplicity cannister vac. It does a great job and I use that once a week for heavy vaccuming and use the hose to get along woodwork and such. I just hate the darn bag!

I also have a Dirt Devil little compact thing (now on sale for $40 at Walmart) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this little vac! I have to say its the best $40 ever spent. Its a bagless and I'm amazed at what I get during my daily touch-ups around the litterboxes and such. I just wish this vac had two features my cannister does and I'd be happy to use the DirtDevil for everything... it needs a cord retract and I wish it had a hose for corners and crevices. But hey, for $40 I shouldn't complain!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom
    Jen, I am so glad you posted this question. I decided this weekend that I needed a new vacuum because my old (inexpensive) Hoover seems to be refusing to pick up any more dog hair. I never thought of asking people with pets what they found works best. Thanks for asking.
    LOL we're in pretty much the same situation Thanks for all of the input guys, I'm hearing some great ideas!

We have a "central vacuum system". This means that the motor is in the garage; every room is connected with this motor, so all the dust goes to a container there! Believe me, this is GREAT!! No heavy vacuumer, and no dust being blown back in the room! This is great as we have 2 kids who are allergic to dust! This system isn't cheap; but when you are having a new house built, it is worth considering
    I've never heard of that, but I'd love it! I've never heard of anything like that before, but it must be great for allergies

I would love to get a new sweeper also. I am not desparate for one but I always hear everyone rave about the Dyson. So of course I want one..lol. Well, I went to Consumer Reports and oddly enough the first listing of a Dyson was at #9 and the Animal Dyson's were at #20 and #21. The Hoover Fusion was not recommended. I'm confused as to why everyone thinks the Dyson is so good but yet it is not rated so high at Consumer Reports. Does anyone have any input about this. I'm going to try and attach the report here. Let me know if it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've had SOOO many vacuum cleaners in my lifetime. I paid over $300 for a Oreck (it SUCKS, and I don't mean picking up dirt). I bought my daughter's Hoover with attachments when I first came back to CT for $20. It works for me!!

I DID try the Purple Dyson Animal and was very impressed with it. But I just don't have $549 to buy one. So, I make do with what I've got.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I used to have a Dyson - have to say I was rather disappointed with it. Am now using a Swan cylinder thingy which does the trick
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I have owned a lot of different vacum cleaners in my life time, and I mean a lot! Well, when I decided to have carpet in my new house, I went out and bought the purple Dyson, well, I just love it! It is the best little vacum cleaner that I have ever owned!! Now, I'm not telling you to go out and buy this expensive vacum cleaner, because it is expensive. I paid for it out of our insurance money, otherwise I would not have been able to afforded it. There has to be something out there that is close to it.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Years ago, I had a Rainbow vacuum. I loved that thing. You use water instead of bags. They are not cheap, but it was the best vacuum I have ever owned. I would love to get another one someday.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~