Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buck went to the emergency clinic

Buck went to the emergency clinic

Last night Mandy attacked Buck. We have been limiting their time together because he is so small and we didn't want her to hurt him when she established her dominance over him. When I was fixing their dinner all of the dogs were watching me, but Buck was playing. I was keeping a pretty close eye on them but when I looked away for a second he bit Mandy's tail (we think) and she went after him.

I got her off of him pretty quick, but he still got hurt. He has three puncture wounds - one very close to his left eye, one on the right side of his nose, and one on his left cheek. The one on his cheek went through his lip all of the way and it swelled up to the size of a golf ball in less than an hour. He also had a very irritated and swollen right eye. She also pulled out one of his baby teeth and that bled for a long, long time. He must've yelped for 20 seconds once I got her off of him, but it really seemed like forever. It was so piercing, and very heartbreaking.

The vet wasn't too worried about him. He shaved and cleaned the wounds, gave him an injection of antibiotic, and sent us home with some Clavamox. He did say that his skull could be cracked a little bit, but it wouldn't be anything serious.

We went to Publix after we left the vet and bought him a can of wet food because he was very sore around his mouth and we didn't want him to have to chew much. He ate that up last night and went right to sleep. This morning he ate half a can and then he had the other half for lunch, and tonight he's getting back to his raw food but we're going to grind it for him until the swelling goes down (it will probably be gone tomorrow).

While my mom was paying for his food in Publix I let him out in the parking lot to potty. The wind was blowing the leaves around and he was chasing them. That was so good to see. I had been crying since it happened - for Buck and how he must hate his new family, and for Mandy and how my parents were saying she's going to live her life in a cage (she won't - they were just mad at her, but I was still worried that they were serious). When I saw him playing with the leaves I felt a lot better.

Today he is doing wonderful. He has been eating and pottying normally, and he has been playing with Luka and Nova and sleeping. He also got in his kiddie pool on his own for the first time today. His swelling on his cheek has gone down a lot and his eye is looking much better. Devin (the breeder's son) came over and didn't even notice anything wrong with him.

He is very cautious of Mandy today. He still kisses her, but he is very careful now. If she growls then he backs off. Hopefully this will be the end of it, hopefully he won't forget this and bite her tail again (he's been going after it for weeks). It only took one time when Nova was a puppy for her to understand not to mess with Mandy (but Nova's bite wasn't serious). I hope this is it for him too.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I know how you feel! When Jada attacked Ebony it was awful. It only happened the one time so hopefully that will be the case with Mandy and Buck. Its sure no fun to see is it? I'm so glad Buck is ok.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

I'm glad Buck is feeling better. When we got Morty he bit my Mom and me, but then he adjusted and it was over. Maybe Mandy just needs to adjust to Buck and then she'll be fine.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Well you can't blame either of them, but more importantly Sarah you CAN NOT blame yourself. IT was going to happen sooner or later (as you said) but its unfortunate that it happened sooner rather than later.

All that matters is that he is ok! And I can assure you he does NOT hate his new family in the least bit. This was a rather unfortunate lesson, but it did teach him not to mess with Mandy, and this will probably never happen again

Cheer up and don't be sad! He is ok!

facebook

That must have been incredibly scary I'm so glad he wasn't seriously injured and hopefully it will never happen again!!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

AW! Poor Buck. Glad he is feeling better though.

I agree, it was bound to happen and all is well. Buck is okay and hopefully this will be his learning lesson to not mess with his big sister. I can imagine how scared and upset you were, I would have been to. It's all okay now and Buck is back to normal.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

How scary. Im glad he is ok.

So is Buck officially yours now?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

That must have been extremely scary!! I hope that never happens again... and I'm very grateful it was nothing really serious.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Poor Bucky buddy! He must have been so scared. And YOU must have been, too! I'm so glad he's alright.. How old is he now?

I bet that was very scary and upsetting, I'm glad Buck is ok! Claire's had to get after Tucker a few times but she didn't really bite him, Rebel did but he didn't bite hard and luckily Tucker got the point. They all seem to get along great now but I still watch them and keep Tucker away from them when I know they are aggravated, such as when he keeps trying to jump on them when they aren't in the mood, and he stays apart from them when we leave the house.
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

Poor Buck. I'm glad he is better now.

Is he living with you now?

I haven't been around much lately so I didn't know if he was home with you now or not.

How scary that must have been! I'm so glad that Buck is ok. I hope you are ok, too- it was probably unavoidable and I hope you don't blame yourself. Puppies are very resilient and of course he still loves his new family!!

Thanks everyone. Pet Talk really can make me feel better

Quote Originally Posted by Jadapit
    Oh, I'm so sorry. I know how you feel! When Jada attacked Ebony it was awful. It only happened the one time so hopefully that will be the case with Mandy and Buck. Its sure no fun to see is it? I'm so glad Buck is ok.
    I think that is how this will turn out. Nova understood after one "attack" that Mandy was alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by My Peanuts
    I'm glad Buck is feeling better. When we got Morty he bit my Mom and me, but then he adjusted and it was over. Maybe Mandy just needs to adjust to Buck and then she'll be fine.
    Yes, I'm sure that's it. I knew this would happen, I just didn't know it would be this bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    Well you can't blame either of them, but more importantly Sarah you CAN NOT blame yourself. IT was going to happen sooner or later (as you said) but its unfortunate that it happened sooner rather than later.

All that matters is that he is ok! And I can assure you he does NOT hate his new family in the least bit. This was a rather unfortunate lesson, but it did teach him not to mess with Mandy, and this will probably never happen again

Cheer up and don't be sad! He is ok!
    Thank you, that means a lot

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    How scary. Im glad he is ok.

So is Buck officially yours now?
    Yes, he has been here "for good" since Friday. I haven't been on since then because we had a really, really great weekend together hanging out with my friend and her new Lab puppy. But he is officially mine now

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    Poor Bucky buddy! He must have been so scared. And YOU must have been, too! I'm so glad he's alright.. How old is he now?
    He's 7 1/2 weeks. I wanted him to be much older and stronger before Mandy established her dominance. Nova was 4 months, and she was big enough that her whole head didn't fit in Mandy's mouth like in this case. Mandy only bit him once and all of her canines made a puncture wound (she only has three canine teeth).

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleMutt
    Poor Buck. I'm glad he is better now.

Is he living with you now?

I haven't been around much lately so I didn't know if he was home with you now or not.
    I haven't posted about him coming home, but yes he is mine now

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke_Corgi
    How scary that must have been! I'm so glad that Buck is ok. I hope you are ok, too- it was probably unavoidable and I hope you don't blame yourself. Puppies are very resilient and of course he still loves his new family!!
    Thank you I was blaming myself at first, with all of the "what ifs". My mom was doing the same because she was also in the room with me but she couldn't see the dogs where she was.

Aww, I'm so sorry that this happened. I know how scared you must have been. Its been said before but you can't blame yourself and you also can't blame the dogs. It sounds like you handle everything really well and I'm wishing a speedy recovery for Buck. I can't wait to see more pics of the little guy. I'm so in love with him!

Congrats on your new baby boy