Thread: Can you offer any advice?

Can you offer any advice?

Hi, PT friends! I hope a great weekend is being had by all. Got a question and would really appreciate any advice, comments,observations, or thoughts anyone may have to offer. I've decided to get a digital camera, only problem is I know absolutely nothing about them. Basically, I'm looking for something not too expensive, easy to use because I'm a self admitted techno moron, one that will take nice pictures (of Groucho, who else?), putting the pictures to Imagestation won't be complicated or confusing, preferably a zoom lens for closeups? All of you post such wonderful pictures of your kitties and I really want to share more of Groucho with everyone. When choosing one, is there any specific things to look for, things to avoid, questions to ask? I'll most likely get it from Circuit City or a place like that. As always, thanks for your input and help. Scritchies and huggies to all your sweet kitties!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I'm sorry Momcat, but I have no advice on which camera to get as I am also a techno moron. I got mine as a Christmas gifts from my sweet sons.

But, I can't wait for you to get one so we can start seeing more pictures of your handsome boy, Groucho.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

When I was buying my first digital, I emailed 6 friends who are geeks. Got two replies. Note: regarding MP(megapixels), the standard next year will be 8 or so...I got a 6.

Also, a helpful salesperson who isn't just out to make a sale should be able to help you make the best choice for you.

Stick with CAMERA manufacturers - Olympus, Canon, etc - NOT Hewlett-Packard and other COMPUTER manufacturers.

Olympus won with me!

Sounds like you've got the basics sorted. 4-5MP, optical zoom in preference to just digital zoom. Canon's are one of the best makes - I'd always recommend them, but Olympus and Pentax are fine. I'd stick away from Nikon unless you are buying one of the more expensive models - their low end/mid range models aren't really that special.

Well Congratulations on your future digital camera purchase!

I think the important things to keep in mind with regards to digital cameras are:

1. Batteries - Does the camera use a special kind? How expensive are the batteries? If they are special kind there is a chance you will have trouble finding replacements. Even rechargeable batteries need to be replaced after about a 1000 charges.

2. Memory cards - The higher the MP of your camera the more memory it will use to save your images. When you are considering how much memory to get for your camera think about how many pictures you will need to keep in your camera before you get a chance to transfer it to your 'puter. i.e.. You go on holidays and plan to take pictures for a whole day before transferring.Or perhaps you leave your 'puter at home and need to save an entire two weeks worth of pictures in your camera. Find out how much memory an average picture uses and divide that number by the amount of memory you buy to see how many pictures you can fit on that memory card. Although it may be cheaper to buy one large memory card, you might consider getting two smaller memory cards instead. The idea is not to have all your eggs in one basket sort of thing. Final note on memory cards, I understand that some are faster than others. Faster memory means the image transfers faster after you press the clicker button. So you will be ready for the next picture sooner. It might cost more, so if this is important to you look out for it.

3. Research - Consult the manufacturers website to find out more about the cameras you are considering. They will tell you so much more than any salesman can. Then use Google and find sites where people talk about their problems with those brands of cameras. This can help you anticipate problems you might encounter, or which cameras to avoid.

4. Lens - Just like the traditional SLR cameras, the better the lens system the better quality images you will get. I've heard from my brother that cameras made by actual camera companies are better in this regard. So cameras from companies like HP might have better "technical" specifications but the imaging system will not be as good as a camera from say Canon, who have a long history in the camera business.

5. Viewer Display - The bigger the better. Of course this uses more power, but in my opinion it makes a difference.

6. Size vs. Function - If I ever get another digital camera I will get one that fits in my pocket and takes decent pictures. But it depends what you want to do with it. The convenience of being able to put it in my pocket and have it ready appeals to me. Of course the smaller the more likely it is to be misplaced, forgotten, or just plain taken.

7. Mega Pixels - You are right about the 4-5 MP range. I also think, the higher the better.

8. Printers - In my opinion, it is not worth getting a color inkjet printer for your camera. Just send them to London drugs, Future Shop or some other professional printer. Not only will they come out better you will probably be able to print them for less $$$. I send mine to Future Shop over the Internet and pick them up the next day. I could even have then mailed to me if I wanted. I've never been disappointed, never had to reprint and I can choose the images I want printed at my leisure without having to wait in line. I think even Winter Photography will print digital images.

GET IT! You in time, will figure it out! I have had mine a year or more and am just now messing with all the setting to see what more I can do with it. I do advise getting rechargable batteries and a charger.

Remember these few things...Zooming a lot, eats your batteries up. Close up from zooming are extreemly sensitive to ANY movement as the picture is being taken.

Get a camera that will take a memory card, then as finances can handle it, get a card reader (this saves batteries and makes them last twice as long!)

Better have a burner on your computer... you will take TONS of pictures and want to save them all! Get a camera that you think is way far ahead of you, you will grow into it, I promise!

(Someone once handed me a $1000 8 MP camera and asked if I would take it home and figure it out so I could show them how to use it. Ha! That wasn't hard and I got some GREAT pictures with it too....and I do consider myself tech challanged also)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

One would be to buy a Battery Pack,as these Cameras really do eat up batteries like JJJ3 eats Temptations.
    And Buy as much Memory as you can afford,especially if the Camera you buy lets you make Kitty Movies.
    And have Fun,and post lots of Photos.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I would recommend the Canon brand because this is what I have and I love it. Mine is several years old but has so many different settings that I still haven't outgrown it. I only have 4 megapixels but it came with a rechargable battery so this has saved me a lot of money. I also have a fairly large viewer display so it's easy to see if a picture came out well before you put it on your computer. Good luck!

I got mine as a gift so I didn't have to go through the whole ordeal of having to pick one out. Mine is a Sony. If & when I buy a new one, I will definitely get a Canon! From what I've seen on here, the pics that a Canon produces just can't be matched! They're awesome!

Good luck! Hopefully others will be more helpful!
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

I've been thinking about getting one, too (I want so badly to post pix of my boys here ), and these tips really help.

My husband has one for work, and I have one of those Kodak Advantix models, which is nice, but you still have to get the darn things developed.

I'm holding on to these tips.
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I